Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assigning IPv6 To VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Assigning IPv6 To VM

Hi,
I new to whole IPv6 subnet, I got VM that has /64 IPv6 and I don't know how to assign one of the IPv6 to my vm interface, my vm provider use virtualizor panel for managing vm, I got screen shot of my panel:

Should I add IPv6 to above panel, and then use ip addr add ...:....:....:14a:1:1:1:1/64 dev eth0 or am I wrong? cause when I ping6 google.com, I get connect: Network is unreachable

Comments

• @Bardulf said:
    Hi,
    I new to whole IPv6 subnet, I got VM that has /64 IPv6 and I don't know how to assign one of the IPv6 to my vm interface, my vm provider use virtualizor panel for managing vm, I got screen shot of my panel:

Should I add IPv6 to above panel, and then use ip addr add ...:....:....:14a:1:1:1:1/64 dev eth0 or am I wrong? cause when I ping6 google.com, I get connect: Network is unreachable

Better you contact your VPS provider to assign /64 block IPv6 to your VPS

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

You'll need to add it as mentioned, but you may need to add routing information to the VM. Your host should be able to help with this.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • If your VPS comes with IPv6 then I believe it must have already been assigned by your hosting provider.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @alilet said:
    If your VPS comes with IPv6 then I believe it must have already been assigned by your hosting provider.

It show in panel that I have IPv6 but as I mentioned when I use ping6 I get above error

• webdevwebdev Member
    edited December 2019

Is your OS installed from template or ISO, usually installed from template, it will configured itself. I think that UI is for adding extra IP...

• ubuntu-18-04 also different than debian or ubuntu-16, take a look at this page: https://devanswers.co/configure-ipv6-ubuntu-18-04/

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • Run cat /etc/network/interfaces and see the result. For comparison here's result of my two VPS (having IPv6) where one is using DHCP while other static IP.

#DHCP
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet6 auto

#Static IP
    iface eth0 inet6 static
            accept_ra 0
            address 2009:1234:1234:1234:1234:1234:1234:1000
            netmask 109

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @webdev said:
    Is your OS installed from template or ISO, usually installed from template, it will configured itself. I think that UI is for adding extra IP...

I installed it from template

• @alilet said:
    Run cat /etc/network/interfaces and see the result. For comparison here's result of my two VPS (having IPv6) where one is using DHCP while other static IP.

#DHCP
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet6 auto

#Static IP
    iface eth0 inet6 static
            accept_ra 0
            address 2009:1234:1234:1234:1234:1234:1234:1000
            netmask 109

I check what you said and get below result it seems that my IPv6 that added using subnet, are now added but maybe it have routing problem.

• Click on that pen icon, add your desired v6 , restart your vm, enjoy your life :)

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @seriesn said:
    Click on that pen icon, add your desired v6 , restart your vm, enjoy your life :)

I added as you can see from above picture, but I still get connect: Network is unreachable with command ping6 google.com

• Contact your host as only they can solve this issue.

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @Bardulf said:

@seriesn said:
    Click on that pen icon, add your desired v6 , restart your vm, enjoy your life :)

I added as you can see from above picture, but I still get connect: Network is unreachable with command ping6 google.com

Boss,
    Unless I am looking at the wrong picture, I didn't notice any IP being assigned, all saw was the subnet.

But please reach out to your provider as they will be the best one to answer your inquiry :)

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Can you ping external IPv6 addresses from that box?

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @thedp said:
    Can you ping external IPv6 addresses from that box?

No I can't, as other mentioned I should contact provider, I thought It's was something silly that I don't understand, so I ask here for guide.

• saudiqbalsaudiqbal Member
    edited December 2019

You have to generate your own IP address by using the last four octets

Thanked by 1Bardulf
  • @saudiqbal said:
    You have to generate your own IP address by using the last four octets

I did that, and restart my VM from control panel but still ping6 won't work

• The problem is with your VPS provider and not with your VPS then.

Thanked by 1Bardulf