Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing + IPv6 = when?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing + IPv6 = when?

Back in 2011 ColoCrossing had IPv6 in development. We are in 2019 (8 years and 6 months later) and still no IPv6 with ColoCrossing.

I think they plan to jump from IPv4 straight to IPv7. What do you think?

Thanked by 1uptime

Comments

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

When the world would be at the end they would come up with IPv6 for sure

• soon™

Thanked by 2Clouvider WebProject
  • The weather in hell would suddenly get a lot colder

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

When I've run out of Bamboo to eat.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Instead of IPv7, I’d rather jump straight to Named Data Networking.

In NDN architecture, there’s no addressing. Routers forward packets directly using names. You can request a packet like /com/nytimes/frontpage/20191201 directly from the network, and the network is responsible for finding the content. Everyone (including you) can cache the packet to satisfy future requests, and the packet can be trusted because it carries a signature from the publisher.

Some of my VPSes are running NDN over UDP.
    NDN can run directly over Ethernet, without dependency on either IPv4 or IPv6. In that case, you can offer NDN based boxes with no address at all, just names!

Thanked by 1isunbejo
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

They have yet to be allocated since 2011/12 :joy:

• When Trump dies.

• New brand Ipv? == Ipv4 nat :))

• @yoursunny said:
    Instead of IPv7, I’d rather jump straight to Named Data Networking.

In NDN architecture, there’s no addressing. Routers forward packets directly using names. You can request a packet like /com/nytimes/frontpage/20191201 directly from the network, and the network is responsible for finding the content. Everyone (including you) can cache the packet to satisfy future requests, and the packet can be trusted because it carries a signature from the publisher.

Some of my VPSes are running NDN over UDP.
    NDN can run directly over Ethernet, without dependency on either IPv4 or IPv6. In that case, you can offer NDN based boxes with no address at all, just names!

Wouldn't is breake enything TLS as it use one time session key?

• jbiloh doesnt care because he is getting enough business through LET and LEB even without having IPv6.

@omelas said:

Wouldn't is breake enything TLS as it use one time session key?

TLS secures the pipes. Content is secure while in motion, but not secure while at rest. You can cache the web page you visited, but nobody would trust your cache copy. Thus, big CDN dominates the market.

NDN secures the content itself. Named content is encrypted and signed. Content is secure both in motion and at rest. You can cache the web page you visited, and others can trust your cached copy as long as the original signature is intact. Every NDN router can cache content, and we don’t need CDN anymore.

Normally NDN doesn’t use session keys: it prefers public key cryptography.
    Think about the front page of New York Times: does it have to be encrypted? No. You only need to be assured that the page actually comes from the publisher. Thus, it’s sufficient to transmit the content in plain text, and attach an ECDSA signature signed by the publisher’s private key.

Occasionally session keys are needed, and then you’ll have to generate separate Data packets for each session, and won’t get (much) caching benefits.

Thanked by 1malek
  • Whennever

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I seem to remember that in "Dunes the desert planet" someone had a CC product and it was still IP4.So it seems the correct answer is "sometimes after the year 7000 AD".

• not gonna happen

• I heard they would release it by Christmas... noone knows which year :)

• They were announcing a /48 for some time.

• Before 2017.

@jbiloh said:
    Not familiar with a 2017 estimate, but we'll beat that as well.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/705850/#Comment_705850

• he's beating a dead horse

• When you decide to tunnel it in, that's when it will happen.

• LeeLee Veteran

CC is pro, they know IPv4 exhaustion is like climate change, fake news, never going to happen. So no need to worry about it.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ

@Lee said:
    CC is pro, they know IPv4 exhaustion is like climate change, fake news, never going to happen. So no need to worry about it.

If you guys keep idling VPS with IPv4 addresses, the exhaustion will occur sooner.

• @yoursunny said:

@Lee said:

If you guys keep idling VPS with IPv4 addresses, the exhaustion will occur sooner.

cough Virmach cough

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

IPv6 ColoCrossing will be available just after SolusVM v3 release :smiley:

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Right now a firm time table has not been set for the roll out of IPv6 to the customer access layer on the ColoCrossing network.

Thanked by 1SCAM_DONT_BUY
  • @ManishPant said:
    When the world would be at the end they would come up with IPv6 for sure

Have you seen all those inconspicuous big gray space potatoes, asteroids wandering around at night, ready to turn left, any moment and... bang, no more Jimmie?
    I have, at the @deank national space observatory.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2019

As a nigh sect member, the only time I'd up high on a mountain at an observatory is after (zombie) apocalypse.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @jbiloh said:
    Right now [...]

Right now... as in past 8 years and a half. I guess you embrace the idea that past and future do not exist, as everything is in a continuous present.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

default said: Right now... as in past 8 years and a half. I guess you embrace the idea that past and future do not exist, as everything is in a continuous present.

I'd expect that IPv6 will be rolled out in the future, but as of now an internal time table has not been established.

The good news is that virtually all of our gear is HW ready for ipv6. Just a matter of demand and some coding at this point.

• @jbiloh said:

default said: Right now... as in past 8 years and a half. I guess you embrace the idea that past and future do not exist, as everything is in a continuous present.

I'd expect that IPv6 will be rolled out in the future, but as of now an internal time table has not been established.

The good news is that virtually all of our gear is HW ready for ipv6. Just a matter of demand and some coding at this point.

There’s demand alright... If it’s a software problem, why isn’t it fixed yet? Your gear is IPv6 ready, you have IPv6 transit, why isn’t IPv6 enabled yet?

Thanked by 2Daniel15 maverickp
  • @jbiloh said:

Demand? You've been losing business to your competitors for 8 years now.