Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostDoc beef with ReliableSite?

Just received this email from HostDoc, quite an interesting read. Wonder if there's more to the story than explained.

This is as bad as an announcement can get, but we are here now and it looks like there is no resolution on the horizon.

ReliableSite, our service provider for our LA server have done the unthinkable and we will soon no longer be able to offer a service out of LA via ReliableSite.

ReliableSite was recently contacted by ourselves. The purpose for making contact was to see the possibility of acquiring their Ryzen 3900X as a replacement for the current i9 and moving our subnet over.
The subnet in question is ours and leased directly from another provider, yet, RS wanted to charge us $2/IP for the move.! This began a dispute.
They refused to read the tickets fully and kept offering canned responses until they totally stopped responding at all.

Further contact was attempted via discord and Skype. They blocked both.

We now have reason to believe the relationship with RS will not be a long lasting one as it has been with all of our previous providers and as such, a shutdown of the LA service seems imminent if a replacement cannot be found in a short time from an alternative provider.

We have been taking backups all day and this may have been noticed from the undesirable high load for most of the day while also combating an unseen amount of abuse on the server.

As of now, a full refund is being offered to all LA clients because it is inevitable there will be a disruption to the service.
Please note, we did everything in our power to avoid this and for taking reactive precautions, RS said we were ranting and blocked all communication channels.

We shall continue trying to source an immediate similar or better replacement for LA, however, our v4 and v6 subnets still have to be moved and re-announced and this may take a few days.
We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this has so far caused and will further cause to our clients.
Emergency placement in any of our other available locations is available if needed if there are adequate resources available. Dallas and Singapore are not an option unfortunately.

Once again, a full refund is offered for all clients from November.
Clients who have had a service since November will be entitled to a full refund of their entire payments.
Clients whose services started before November and have annual plans will get a pro-rata refund from November.

This announcement serves as a notice to immediately take your own backups also.
We are taking backups but cannot guarantee all will be available in time. We cannot backup Windows instances.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused and we aim to rectify this asap.
HostDoc Hosting Team

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited December 2019

Sucks to be in that position, but..

• Wow, this thread was fast. I just got the email!

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • @pullangcubo said:
    Wow, this thread was fast. I just got the email!

I know right, I generally forget to post these when I get them but remembered this time!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@pullangcubo said:
    Wow, this thread was fast. I just got the email!

I have to take a dose of potassium before reading this.

Thanked by 3uptime corbpie coreflux
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Oh no.

Thanked by 2tester4 Ympker
  • A strange case .....

• You win this round tester4. I only just received the mail.
    🍿 Time

Thanked by 1tester4
  • Pick a side , RS or Hostdoc?

Thanked by 2tester4 kkrajk
    edited December 2019

@cybertech said:
    Pick a side, RS or Hostdoc?

Too early to judge, but this is gonna be a few pages long by tomorrow.

Thanked by 1tester4
  • @cybertech said:
    Pick a side , RS or Hostdoc?

$2/IP for migration of own subnet? HostDoc OFC!

• OP banned? Huh

Thanked by 2uptime tester4
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited December 2019

@K4Y5 said:

@cybertech said:
    Pick a side , RS or Hostdoc?

$2/IP for migration of own subnet? HostDoc OFC!

@OP Banned. Back.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

@vimalware said:
    OP banned? Huh

Wondering the same thing

Edit: and now unbanned...?

Thanked by 1tester4
  • tester4tester4 Member
    edited December 2019

Not anymore, was an error :expressionless:

@trewq Thanks for fix :)

On topic though, I'm siding with HD so far. I'm just thinking that they have maybe had a miscommunication issue as I know RS outsources support sometimes so they may have been providing the wrong info.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Subed for drama

Thanked by 1tester4
  • Unfortunately, I will not engage in a public dispute over this.
    It was an announcement to let clients know the state of things rather than leaving them in the dark.
    Yes, there are details not included in the announcement which the public do not need to know. The most important message is that LA will probably go down and that they should be ready.

That is all I will say on this matter for now.

Refunds have already started being procesed and migrations to other nodes.
    If you are in LA and your data means anything to you, please take immediate action.

• @HostDoc said:
    Unfortunately, I will not engage in a public dispute over this.
    It was an announcement to let clients know the state of things rather than leaving them in the dark.
    Yes, there are details not included in the announcement which the public do not need to know. The most important message is that LA will probably go down and that they should be ready.

If you are in LA and your data means anything to you, please take immediate action.

Well that's no fun. Can you clarify if you confirmed they were charging you for the own IP space rather than renting from them? As I said, their support is outsourced mainly and Radic should have been able to clarify.

• @tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Well that's no fun. Can you clarify if you confirmed they were charging you for the own IP space rather than renting from them? As I said, their support is outsourced mainly and Radic should have been able to clarify.

I believe that was a mistake on their part. They most probably did not know the subnet was mine.

• @HostDoc said:

@tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

I believe that was a mistake on their part. They most probably did not know the subnet was mine.

So you're still going through with this even if they did admit it was a mistake? Seems a bit extreme but understand there is probably more to this than just the IPs.

• @HostDoc said:

@tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Hopefully this misunderstood would be clarified and a wisdom solutión would be taken.

• @tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

@tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

So you're still going through with this even if they did admit it was a mistake? Seems a bit extreme but understand there is probably more to this than just the IPs.

Getting blocked on multiple channels of communication over possible misinformation with such dramatic consequences doesn't bode well for continued relationship / future business.

Thanked by 4kkrajk MasonR imok Ouji
  • @K4Y5 said:

@tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

@tester4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Getting blocked on multiple channels of communication over possible misinformation with such dramatic consequences doesn't bode well for continued relationship / future business.

True, I just weigh up the hassle of moving to a new provider verse the support issues and I'd likely just deal with them until I was in the position to facilitate a mass migration elsewhere.

Oh well, had my daily LET drama fix already and it's only 6am.

• uh ah drama just before the weekend...

okay, my deer, shall we proceed?

@MrRadic

:-D :-D :-D

Thanked by 2tester4 imok
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

How big is the subnet? or how much $ are we talking here?
    $8, $16, $32, $64, $128, $256, $512, $1024 or more?

If what the OP has posted and what @HostDoc is saying is the "real" side of the story then I feel ReliableSite is being greedy and this will give them a negative PR, let alone exposes their support culture along with their hunger for money by skimming every tiny possible opportunity.

@MrRadic you can definitely overturn all of this, do the math, is the amount of $1024 (my guess its 512 IPs) worth all the negative PR?

Thanked by 2dahartigan coreflux
  • From what I can tell, it sounds like less of a money issue with @HostDoc and more of an issue of principle. More evidence is necessary to conclude, but the balance of probability tilts towards @HostDoc at the current state. Looks like another penny wise, pound foolish case.

Thanked by 2kkrajk dahartigan
  • "superior potassium" beef

• @MrRadic is a good guy and I am very sure that something somewhere went wrong. @HostDoc kudos to you for putting customers first

Let’s hope for the best !!

Thanked by 1dahartigan

I think the most important question is... any other companies that have similar specs can provide refugee deals for HostDoc?

• webclouddevwebclouddev Member
    edited December 2019

Did someone said beef :

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

@tester4 said:
    As I said, their support is outsourced mainly and Radic should have been able to clarify.

This is one reason why we left ReliableSite a number of years ago. When Radic was dealing with us everything was top notch, fast and good replies. Their outsourced support guys often came across as largely clueless sending canned replies etc and - at the time - they were using choopas network and often needed to escalate issues. This filtered communication a bit so we often did not have the full picture and spent a lot of the time during outages in the dark. Outages at the time were too frequent and I don't think the outsourced support was helping that situation (e.g. preventing reoccurrence). It is worth bearing in mind though that this was quite a number of years ago so YMMV.

I believe they use their own network now but in my opinion is Radic should consider taking on and training in house support.

This discussion has been closed.