Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone used their own email address using my domain... how?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Someone used their own email address using my domain... how?

scookescooke Member
edited December 2019 in Help

Hi everyone,
I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. I have this domain, mydomain.com, and I use it for email, [email protected]. I started getting someone else's emails, [email protected], who signed up at various sites using [email protected], and these sites are now sending him emails but since there is no actual email address for 'someguy', the emails come to me. How, and why, did someone make an email address using my domain? And how can I stop it? I've looked online for help but all my searches return solutions for stopping spam. This isn't spam per se, it's just someone using my domain for their email. I guess I have it set up to receive all email without a specific account to my main account, but even if I stop that, how and why would someone just use my domain for the email?? Wouldn't they realize they aren't getting those emails? How would they think they are going to check their email??
Thank you!

EDIT: To clarify that no email account was ever made, just that someone made up an email address using my domain.

Comments

• no way to stop it

probably you have a popular domain name like asshole.com or something

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What leads you to believe that they've created [email protected] rather than simply entered this email into websites? Is there some indication that the person doing this has received and interacted with emails at that address previously?

• @jar said:
    What leads you to believe that they've created [email protected] rather than simply entered this email into websites? Is there some indication that the person doing this has received and interacted with emails at that address previously?

That's the thing. There is no email address, none that I've made, and thus no way for them to be checking their email. They just entered [email protected] at a few websites and now I am getting those emails. I was going to mark them as spam and then realized I'd be only harming myself! It's like if I just went ahead an used [email protected] and registered at various sites. .. But that made me think... I never received Account Activation emails for this made-up address, just the emails sending me their account status, monthly statements (from opensrs.com, for example), and the like. It's like they opened their accounts, then switched the email address to one using my domain.

Are they spamming me using my own domain? And I haven't done anything yet like clicking on links in the emails, or clicking Unsubscribe, just in case the goal is to see what domains are active, or some other intent. Strange, isn't it?

• Let me add that I looked up the name (it's not 'someguy') and found a fairly extensive twitter, foursquare, facebook, github, instagram, deviantart, and youtube history, but, I haven't contacted him. Just trying to get a sense of why someone would use an email address that doesn't exist with a domain they don't own.

It may very well be that they made a typo when changing email in a lot of accounts. Perhaps they copy/pasted that typo in all of them.

Or better still, perhaps this person has left you in charge of their internet identity. It's like an inheritance from an uncle you never met. All their posts are now yours.

• some company does not valid email address, Like Epic(see Epic and Steam drama), some players just use fake email to register account for some free stuff

• @scooke said:
    Let me add that I looked up the name (it's not 'someguy') and found a fairly extensive twitter, foursquare, facebook, github, instagram, deviantart, and youtube history, but, I haven't contacted him. Just trying to get a sense of why someone would use an email address that doesn't exist with a domain they don't own.

At a certain point you have to just contact the person and try to find out what might have happened.

• @seriesn said:
    Disable catch all email and enjoy your life.

This is the solution. Don't need to care whether the other person receives email at an account they don't own. Crazy stuff happens.

• Just now I received another email to using my domain, but with a different user name, and from a different country than the first user. Based on some of the responses here this actually isn't some nerfarious attack, just, people use made up emails.
    FWIW, my domain in question is a rather unique name, using a mix of two languages, and not something usual nor known (my logs show I'm the only person who goes to the site of the domain), so it's weird that anyone would decide to use it.

• As previously mentioned: don't allow incoming non-valid email addresses -> blackhole.
    Set to fail may help in this instance - at least legitimate senders would know it isn't valid. Might attract more attention though.

• Why not just use the email to reset their password, login to their account, then delete their account? That's what I would have done if someone was using my email for their accounts. That would teach them. :tongue:

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @somik said:
    Why not just use the email to reset their password, login to their account, then delete their account? That's what I would have done if someone was using my email for their accounts. That would teach them. :tongue:

I'm too scared to do that.

• somik said: That would teach them.

You betcha! Could have even more fun, if so inclined.

• @AlwaysSkint said:

somik said: That would teach them.

You betcha! Could have even more fun, if so inclined.

• To add to the litany of suggestions, though mine with a mischievous reprisal;
    change the PWs of the accounts associated with the erroneous email addresses.

I'm amazed at this stage, that all sites do not verify email addresses before creating accounts.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

If you have 'catch all', then it's normal.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • ok, thanks everyone.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2019

101 on how to make s#%t out of nothing..
    are you aware that there a sites that let people do this for free and think nothing of it:
    https://www.mailinator.com/v3/#/#inboxpane

turn off or filter your catch-all mail is that simple

• So you have a good domain :D

• disable your catchall and never worry about that again -_-

Thanked by 1scooke