Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD or Intel ? and Why ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD or Intel ? and Why ?

IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hi LET,

There's a debate inside the IKOULA team, and we can't decide who the winner is :
AMD or Intel ?

What's your points of view ? For which use is AMD the best ?

AMD or Intel ?
  1. Who is the best ?130 votes
    1. AMD
      80.00%
    2. Intel
      20.00%

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2019

Personally, I can't say much, other than from what I know (though very basic), is that from what we've seen, considering the security vulnerabilities that exists with Intel procs, AMD seems to be eyed by many now.

Edit: That's just from a security's perspective. As a whole, there aren't that many providing services off AMD procs, as compared to Intel, so maybe go for AMD? :)

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • All the way AMD. Intel's security is fubar and this should be a great no-no for any hosting provider/dc. Plus performence and value are right now way better on AMD.

Thanked by 2Ikoula maverickp
  • AMD no matter what!

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@sonic said:
    AMD no matter what!

could you explain more in details why ? or why not Intel ? for which use have you chosen AMD ?

• edited December 2019

Ikoula said: could you explain more in details why ? or why not Intel ? for which use have you chosen AMD ?

security

diversify your portfolio

I thought the newer AMD generation offers more bang for the buck, right?

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=3900x-9900k-400&num=1
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7502-7742&num=1

Benchmarks says all. AMD offer better performance and lower power usage at same or even lower price.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Of course it's gonna be AMD. Win win for provider and consumer

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Intel for single thread performance, AMD for best price/value ratio (for now).

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • 20 Years ago. Mostly Intel for servers.
    Today AMD for servers, desktop and laptops. Not overpriced, fair performance for $.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited December 2019

So by the looks of it, AMD is currently “winning” in terms of Security + Performance + Cost.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Tagging @jsg

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Whatever is the cheaper at the moment.

My understanding is that AMD has a better ratio performance / power usage / cost.

Like being said, the recurring security issues with Intel is adding to the balance, in favor of AMD.

I am only renting server(s) to run my own sites, which are not ecomm and I am not selling services, or hosting anything, so just for my own use. In that case, I don't mind if the server has an Intel or AMD cpu, I mind more about the connectivity, amount of RAM and drives.

IF, I was a provider of VPS for example, I would prefer to get servers running with AMD CPU, "today", because of security things.

But I am no one, my opinion has very limited value :)

• Aside from some extremely small usecases in single threaded applications (less than 1% performance difference in some old applications), AMD is basically better in every aspect right now.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Just go with ARM. And fuck all those nefarious, childish "miners".

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited December 2019

I am going to page the person I consider the residential expert on this topic @jsg

In terms of absolute raw clockspeed power, Intel still has a slight lead I believe. However, in terms of price-performance ratio and power consumption (critical for DCs), AMD is in the lead.

If you are a VPS provider, it is a no brainer because you can have way more cores per host node, which translate to better end user experience. Assuming that the percentage of heavy CPU use remains the same as Intel, for the price Intel is asking, you can offer AMD that has more cores, so other users will have more available CPU power translating into better user experience.

I just bought a second generation 2600X (6 cores, 12 threads, up to 4.2 Ghz) myself. Why? The price of this CPU can only buy me an i3-9100 (4 cores, 4 threads, up to 4.2Ghz). Pretty much sums up the state of affairs.

Thanked by 3Ikoula jsg rchurch
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@Shot2 said:
    Just go with ARM. And fuck all those nefarious, childish "miners".

thank you for your point of view, could you develop more in details why ?

• @Ikoula said:
    Hi LET,

There's a debate inside the IKOULA team, and we can't decide who the winner is :
    AMD or Intel ?

Will there be a surprise deal for ikoula?

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • @Ikoula said:

@Shot2 said:

It's not about price or "power" (which is either used for nefarious activities, or to compensate for poor design/sloppy code) - it's about getting the job done while minimizing resources use (and therefore long-term costs - for which "price" is a bad proxy).

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • @Shot2 said:

@Ikoula said:

@Shot2 said:

It's not about price or "power" (which is either used for nefarious activities, or to compensate for poor design/sloppy code) - it's about getting the job done while minimizing resources use (and therefore long-term costs - for which "price" is a bad proxy).

By this metric, AMD wins.

• @poisson said:

@Shot2 said:

@Ikoula said:

@Shot2 said:

By this metric, AMD wins.

Maybe, I haven't followed up closely the news on the "less than 1W CPU" front

• For now, AMD...
    For me, after testing some programs, If run a huge of similar process, there are basically no restrictions, but whether the process will be crashed is another topic.
    While INTEL will limit when it reaches a certain amount...

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

So far with new equipment AMD is killing it. We have been using quite a b it since this new batch came out.
    From our desktops to dual Epyc systems we have been super happy with performance.

Haven't heard anything bad yet from customers either.
    Hopefully we see them keep kicking butt in both sections as you can see even a 1K drop in Intels latest high performance desktop/workstation cpu's! This is good news for everyone.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Been using AMD since I built my first PC 8 years ago, still my fav

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Sorry to disappoint those who - understandably - prefer AMD, but ...

• to be purchased AMD Zen based nodes must be available which currently seems to be questionable
    • to be available for DCs also means that there is some variety of server systems, like 1 - 4 sockets (or min. 2) well proven main board designs, etc. Some of the big manufacturers have some (read: a few) designs and even giants sometimes just have a single system base (1 socket).
    • Single source, single fab source is not something large companies like (what if say an earthquake takes a major fab out?)
    • AMD doesn't really have a big product spread. Just have a look at my BanditHost review. Those high core count Epycs do not offer an enormous speed advantage. Don't be fooled by all those crazy benchmarks numbers out there. Most of them were done by gamers, overclockers, etc. and those do usually not look with the eyes of a DC.
      The outstanding high performance numbers (e.g. seen in my NexusBytes benchmark) are Ryzens

• Yes, AMD seems to have a lead in terms of performance/power consumption and pricing - but it's not overwhelming enough to make large customers jump and switch away from intel and/or their system providers.

• But yes, AMD Zen is cheaper, is faster, does need less power and, probably most importantly, is less vulnerable than intel.

But: companies don't tick like end users and especially not like gamers. intel knows that and AMD does, too. That's why AMD re-entered the market with very very low prices. We should understand that they didn't do that because they are nice guys but because they absolutely needed to. intels reaction? Not at all surprising, just turn around and look at intels new Xeon pricing. It's lower than just some months ago, brutally lower, but still higher than AMD Zen. Why? Because intel can.

As an end user/consumer I don't care. I just see the low price, the performance, and the attractive gadgetry (like PCIe 4) and the lower vulnerability - but then, what's my risk? Next to none. For a company that's very different. Also add the classical inertia of companies to the equation.

And again, don't mix up Ryzens and Epycs! Most consumers will go for a 4 - 8 core Ryzen which also means that AMD has a generous el. power budget. One can push a few cores to quite high clock rates (and hence performance) with something like 90 - 120 W. In the DC the picture is very different, there it's largely about performance per Watt, plus those Watts are limited, both by the sockets and electronics and by rack power density. Keep in mind that power per rack is limited plus one of the most important cost factors in hosting.
    The result: AMD too has to go low on clock rates with their 24+ cores Epycs ... and the performance results is? Well a bit better than the Xeons. And keep in mind that bang for the Watt still is one of intels strengths.

In a DC the game is almost never performance per core. It's performance per rack. Yes, AMD seems to be better overall. They have the gate size advantage (7 vs 10 nm), but for how long? They offer more performance, but (a) not that much more that companies will hurry to switch, and (b) for how long? And so on. Plus they highly likely have higher manufacturing cost, the need to regain immense amounts of research costs and to then make a profit. They have one (1) single supplier and at least as of now no alternative, etc.

And then there is the BIG issue in the low end hosting market which is largely based on 2nd lifetime or at the very least on very long lifetime systems (and we simply do not have any experience yet re. how well those Epys age ...)
    So, how and where is e.g. @Ikoula supposed to find those systems?

@Ikoula said:

In the DC? Considering all factors: for a few corner cases. IF you can find and get those systems and processors and IF you really want new systems.

Desktop is an entirely different story. There the answer is simple. GO Ryzen or TR!

@Shot2 said:

Nuh. Better wait for RiscV. Arm many of the same problems as the x86 world and I do not see any significant advantage in terms of safety/security. The ARM domain is small stuff, that's where they shine (yes, yes, I know about diverse many many cores Arms based systems which all seem to end up in some niches). Plus the vast majority still wants to run x86 code in a DC.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

AMADEUZ.

• to be purchased AMD Zen based nodes must be available which currently seems to be questionable

You are right that there are some problems with avability on most expensive models like Ryzen 3950x, but in my country (Poland) you can buy other Ryzen CPUs without a problem.

Those high core count Epycs do not offer an enormous speed advantage. Don't be fooled by all those crazy benchmarks numbers out there. Most of them were done by gamers, overclockers, etc. and those do usually not look with the eyes of a DC.

Strongly disagre on, take a look at link below + few other sites that benchmark CPUs like phoronix. These tests are not made by gamers, cpu miners or overlockers:
    https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7002-series-rome-delivers-a-knockout/

Yes, AMD seems to have a lead in terms of performance/power consumption and pricing - but it's not overwhelming enough to make large customers jump and switch away from intel and/or their system providers.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/7/18535078/worlds-fastest-exascale-supercomputer-frontier-amd-cray-doe-oak-ridge-national-laboratory
    https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/amd/
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-new-amd-epyc-based-azure-virtual-machines/
    Amazon jumps to epyc, microsoft also. Ofc they dont dump they old hardware and switch to epyc, but if CPU market trends will be similar to trends today probably AMD is going to gain bigger and bigger market share everywhere.

Well a bit better than the Xeons. And keep in mind that bang for the Watt still is one of intels strengths.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7502-7742&num=10

@dodheimsgard

I disagree.

• Phoronix - like most others - basically offers a hyped and unrealistic "report". Well noted, I can understand that as they of course make the best use for themselves. Being exited and hyping brings clicks, simple as that.
    • Our context here is a DC. I've seen quite a few mid sized company "data center" rooms and I can tell you that they either don't care about el. power per rack or they simply add a few racks. A DC can't do that, a DC needs reasonable (in their perspective) el. power per rack. Just divide a quite high 10 kW/rack by 40 HU and you end up with 250 W. Now subtract from those the mainboard (chipset, memory, etc) and the drives and you are very lucky if you are left with 200 W.
    • Our context here is a DC (2). The workload in a DC is considerably different from the Phoronix tests. Plus, unlike e.g. in a company context, the load is typically in between 20% and 70%, largely due to the nature of the internet. Keep in mind that a DC is a context with hundreds or thousands of servers under the control of thousands of clients. In a company otoh almost everything is under central control.
    • "Amazon and Azure jumping" - sorry that's pure hype from you. Neither of them jumps and switches to AMD but rather both offer AMD nodes too. There is big difference between "switching thousands of nodes" and "adding a couple of Zen nodes to the thousands of intel nodes".
    • "Amazon and Azure jumping" (2) - even if they did that wouldn't mean much. Reason: It's a significant difference whether you are a Forbes 100 company - and one making a living from IT at that - or whether you are a normal provider, most of whom have tens to a few hundreds of nodes and one with some thousand nodes is considered big. If Microsoft knocks at AMDs door, AMD jumps (concrete example: their game thingy is based on an AMD processor specifically designed for MS), if otoh even a heavy weight in hosting like e.g. Hetzner knocks at AMDs door they might get a cup of coffee before being sent home but that's about it.
    • Again, most providers, especially in the low and mid end, are based on longlife processors. Xeon based systems are plenty available, current AMD Zen virtually none. Plus, Xeons are known to work for a decade and longer, Zen is not (can't be).
    • Many of the Epycs advantages are largely meaningless. They sound great in a review but aren't needed (or even usable) in a DC context. "PCIe 4 NVMe!!!" is a good example. What Xeons offer is usually good enough.

Btw, why do you think that the low power CPUs are more expensive although their performance is lower than the non 'L' processors? Because those allow a provider to put more money making cores into a real rack and because their lower power consumption pays back the higher cost over time due to reduced (high) DC power cost.

To avoid misunderstandings: I am a big AMD fan and I'm extremely pleased with the Ryzens, Threadrippers and Epycs. But the question here was what a mid size provider should (and can!) put into their racks.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2019

jsg said: Yes, AMD seems to have a lead in terms of performance/power consumption and pricing - but it's not overwhelming enough to make large customers jump and switch away from intel and/or their system providers.

AMD EPYC and Ryzens have a disadvantage out the gate for standard distro usage with default Linux Kernels as 1st generation EPYC and 1st/2nd gen Ryzen need at least 4.15+ Kernel to shine performance wise and 2nd gen AMD EPYC needs at least 5.1+ Kernel to shine - ideally 5.3+. You're not really experiencing the full performance benefit of AMD EPYC/Ryzen otherwise.

But I agree from web host provider perspective, some don't really factor in performance for end users in their choice of cpus used. How else would you explain how 6-10+ yr old Intel Xeon processors still make up some web host provider's offerings these days :)

Curious about how discussion has moved to DC workloads, why original poster I assume is thinking about choice of servers to offer for web hosting = end user web hosting work loads ?

Personally, my eyes have been opened by my current benchmark comparison testing between the following servers for CentOS 7 with both default 3.10 and 5.3 Kernels

• Intel Xeon E-2286G 6C/12T
    • Intel Xeon E-2288G 8C/16T
    • AMD Ryzen 3600 6C/12T
    • AMD Ryzen 3800X 8C/16T
    • AMD Ryzen 3900X 12C/24T

I'll maybe have access to Intel 9900KS 8C/16T and AMD Ryzen 3950X 16C/32T later too.

For me workloads = traditional web hosting related work loads like serving Nginx HTTP/2 and HTTP/3, PHP, MySQL, disk I/O, compression, crytographic loads etc. Guess which cpu(s) are leading the way ? :) Still doing testing 2+ months in, so will be a while before I go through the raw data for review/benchmark write ups and charting the various results :)

Thanked by 1jsg

@eva2000

I largely agree, but in the given context performance is overrated IMO. Sure if asked "would you like an Epyc 7xx2" based VPS" almost everybody would say "Yes! Yay!" but that is not the relevant question. The relevant question is "Would you like an Epyc 7xx2" based VPS for $20/mo -or- would you like an E5-26xx v3 based VPS for $5/mo -or- would you like an 56xx based VPS for $3/mo?" - and frankly, the vast majority of VPSs will not have a significant and relevant advantage from the higher end nodes.

Plus there are quite some caveats, some of which you mention, e.g. kernel version but there are others too like e.g. the binaries coming with the distributions which of course have to address (almost) the whole space of processors out there.

Concrete example: I (the developer) could gain considerably more performance in most of my code (largely crypto related) ... but ... I usually have to compile for Nehalem because my software has to support the vast majority of processors the clients use.
    Hell, I would love to use at least 256 bit AVX as it would make a lot of computations very much faster - but I can't, we simply can't provide and support 5 different x86-64 binaries.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2019

+1 on cpu specific compiler optimisations. Can be problematic if you're doing the building of binaries on your end i.e. distro provider/repo provided binaries as opposed to on end user/server end built.

That's part of my AMD/Intel cpu testing work I do too as Centmin Mod LEMP stack can auto optimise the compilation of binaries for Nginx and PHP-FPM based on the cpu architecture and cpu instructions supported/detected on the server it's running as well as the web host detected (dedicated vs cloud provider). So I can eventually optimise specifically for Intel or AMD cpus.

It takes the workload off my end so I don't have to build the binaries myself for every cpu out there. End user's install will automatically compile/build optimal binaries for Nginx and PHP according to cpu detected :)

But GCC has FMV - Function Multi-Versioning which could compile one binary with support for multiple cpus/instructions https://lwn.net/Articles/691932/. AFAIK, that is what Intel Clear Linux built binaries do to optimise for different Intel cpu's differing cpu instructions supported. But my knowledge isn't enough to grasp how to use FMV yet.

Before GCC 6, telling the compiler to use Intel AVX2 instructions would limit the compatibility of the binary to only Haswell and newer processors. With the added features in FMV, the compiler can also generate AVX-optimized versions of the code; at runtime, it will automatically ensure that only the appropriate versions are used. In other words, when the binary is run on Haswell or later generation CPUs, it will use Haswell-specific optimizations; when that same binary is run on a pre-Haswell generation processor, it will fall back to using the standard instructions supported by the older processor.

If other Linux distro providers besides Intel Clear Linux started using FMV, that would be nice.