Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

What backup tools/scripts do you use in 2019 ?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

MilonMilon Member

subj

Comments

• _Nic_Nic Member

Rsync + cron

Thanked by 1WebProject
    • JordJord Moderator, Provider

Acronis normally.

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups + Free Transfers.
      BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001: 2013

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
      edited December 2

rsync

2019 is living its last days ... :cry:

Good Night and Good Luck :sleeping:

• borg

• TsuyoTsuyo Member

Borg + rsync

• DevilDevil Member

restic to b2.

borg to vps.

and important (not very personal/private) docs are anyway always saved in Dropbox folder that is also included in both the backups mentioned above.

• MilonMilon Member

Thank you all very much! Borg looks good.

@Devil What are the main differences between restic and borg? Looks like they are the same, but restic can backup to some other places not limited to ssh/local storage?

• DevilDevil Member
      edited December 3

main differences between restic and borg

Yes, restic is more convenient and it has never thrown an error on me ever whenever I have tried, unlike Borg :smiley:

I can use restic to b2 and pay only as much I use (in fact for a long time I was paying nothing as storage was below 10GB and transfers and other calls were within free limit) and it supports some other block storages too. Borg doesn't and for that I had to set it up on my VPS which I am not really very comfortable with. Reasons being I neither have the patience, nor time to learn and then use that skill to strengthen that VPS.

But if your data can be compressed a lot then you might rather want borg. Or if the data is really a lot then maybe go for something like Backblaze (just my recommendation).

A google result will fetch you detailed answers unlike mine :)

PS. Whatever backup you do, keep testing its integrity (try with real restore of random files from random snapshots/versions) once every few months at least. Bit rot and other shit are real. Happy backing up :)

Thanked by 1Milon
    • MilonMilon Member

@Devil Thank you! Good advice about testing backups integrity!

• Shot2Shot2 Member

btrfs send | btrfs receive

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6". My geekbench results. I haz BuyvM, IonSwitch, OneProv, Servarica, Veesp.

• tgltgl Member

restic

its 2019!

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

@_Nic said:
      Rsync + cron

the same above:

Rsync + bash/shell code + cron

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
      Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.