Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Gbps for SyS and KS ? (OVH)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Gbps for SyS and KS ? (OVH)

Hi,

Saw this tweet :

Does it mean that, in a near future, SyS and KS will have 1Gbps ? And it sounds like this will apply to existing server?

I might not understand it right.

Comments

• @SteveMC said:
    Hi,

Saw this tweet :

Does it mean that, in a near future, SyS and KS will have 1Gbps ? And it sounds like this will apply to existing server?

I might not understand it right.

The odds of those antique KS and SYS machines which lack SATA III 6GB/s ports, having GBit NICs are rather slim.

Not that I'd complain if this were to ever happen :P

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • edited December 2019

Quick OCR and through Google Translate:

Hello,

This last time, I shared a lot of servers> 300E with a significant strategic change. The idea is to make many innovations on this type of servers and globally reduce our prices by 50% on all servers> 300E per month.

At the same time, we are working on innovations with the turn of servers <150E of which we are "the champion of the world". Today, we have 4 families of servers: KS, SYS, RISE and ADV. These 4 ranges we will keep, even if the names will change related to the fact that we will all be on OVHcloud with a single manager.

There is a lot of change around the network. Today we offer 100M, 1G or 2x1G on all these servers. We build infra to be able to offer 2x2.5Gbps qq is the server <150E. After commercially, we can synchronize the NIC to 1G or 2.5G and offer or not the vrack, but by default, we will connect all servers in 2x2.5Gbps.

For this, we build our own switch, which is actually a SmartNIC. A SmartNIC is a smart network card that allows you to push network configurations inside the server and thus to offer many new things with a nice scale.

We chose to do our SmartNIC differently (otherwise we would have just bought the SmartNIC from the market):

• A SmartNIC is not for 1 server but for 4 servers. Thus we reduce the costs per server and we can offer it even on servers <150E. This is a SuperSmartNIC (SSN) spell.
    • Our SSN is not connected to the server via Ethernet cables but via PCle cables. This allows us to make the server "click" at the watercooling, the power but also the network.
      We know how to rack a server in 1 second, click and it works. And since it's a PC, all you need is a 2x NIC cable. It's much simpler and cheaper

• This SSN is compatible any server, any age, since even on the KS, SYS, one can connect PCle this SSN and enjoy a network of 2x2.5G by default.

• All this will allow us to deploy the Segment Routing IPv6 SR6 and transport all types of packets on a simple network, while managing the scales in a simpler way and thus to propose more and more features for our customers Baremetal, PCI, PCC and Storage. Whether 2.5G or 25G or 50G or 100G, all servers will enjoy the same features, regardless of the family of offers. NAT, IP LB, IP FO, private network L3, L2, ACL, QoS, subplane, subnet, firewall, etc.

In a few months, we will finish the proto and we will go to ALPHA / BETA version. We will need you to break the protos and find us bugs. In the meantime, there is still a lot of work on the HW but also on the SW. All this forces us to rewrite the whole orchestration of our DCs.
    Once the stable version will work in our DCs, we will make the HW and SW opensource.

Sincerely
    Octave

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

2.5 Gbit definitely will not apply to existing server models (it's based on different hardware), only 1Gbit can, but this time he doesn't say anything about 1Gbit.

Long ago it was promised all KS will get 1 Gbit incoming, 100 Mbit outgoing, but so far only a minority of them had, and these upgrades seem to have been halted.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Should I hang on to my SYS ARM boxes?

K4Y5 said: The odds of those antique KS and SYS machines which lack SATA III 6GB/s ports, having GBit NICs are rather slim.

Oh and all of them do have Gbit NICs, Core and Xeons for sure, but I believe even Atoms.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited December 2019

@rm_ said:

K4Y5 said: The odds of those antique KS and SYS machines which lack SATA III 6GB/s ports, having GBit NICs are rather slim.

Oh and all of them do have Gbit NICs, Core and Xeons for sure, but I believe even Atoms.

I did have one of those rare KS boxes with Gbit download speeds, but never thought GBit NICs were actually the norm across their product line.

I am pleasantly surprised by that revelation :P

• I have a KS, with 1 Gbps port, but only 100Mbps up/down. This is not restricting my usage, but if I could get a little more, I wouldn't complain :).

Now, I worry that OVH might come with bandwidth options, like 100 Mbps (default), then $xx /mo for 1Gbps, etc... (which still might be a good deal)

Also, it might take a while ... because, Octave often announces things, but it takes years before being available, ... or never. I am still waiting the merging of OVH / SYS /KS under a single account. This was announced a long time ago, and still not effective. What is too bad is that, it was like that at the beginning! I never understood the point of splitting OVH.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I wouldn't trust any tweets, posts, announcements until they are really there.

As already mentioned in the SYS BF thread, it was him announcing double bandwidth for SYS in October 2018 via twitter (Source).

Today (November 2019) we are still waiting for his announcements to be implemented.
    So I guess this tweet literally means nothing as long as it is just a tweet.

However, being realistic enough to expect nothing but still staying curious enough for positive surprises. :)

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said: 2.5 Gbit definitely will not apply to existing server models

Well, according to the information about the Xeon D-1520 on ark.intel.com it comes with 10GBaseT network interface.
    So if OVH really wanted to, they could significantly speed up the current SYS series. ;)

@dfroe said:

@rm_ said: 2.5 Gbit definitely will not apply to existing server models

Well, according to the information about the Xeon D-1520 on ark.intel.com it comes with 10GBaseT network interface.
    So if OVH really wanted to, they could significantly speed up the current SYS series. ;)

The CPU might, but that's not necessarily available on the motherboard that they are using. And I (and Oles) was talking about 2.5 Gbit specifically, which is a different and a very new standard compared to 10 Gbit.