Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oak Tower, Kansas - Outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oak Tower, Kansas - Outage

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited February 2012 in General

Got an email from Virpus the other day about a 12 hour outage today, things should run on generators while power was off.

almost one hour ago, generators failed for a few minutes. According to their facebook page servers are booting .. but still no answer on ping.

Does anyone else have a vps @ Oak Tower ?

Comments

• Yeah I noticed mine went down too for about 15-20 minutes.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@dotvps a router wont take over an hour to boot. And why would someone say servers are booting if only the routers had been down?

The email is almost word by word the same message i got from Virpus.

@dotvps, probably the part where Virpus has their stuff :)
    I've only had one issue in the past with virpus and theres nothing critical on the vps I have there.

• I have servers with Datashack and Wholesale Internet. Everything went offline today, but only the stuff at Wholesale Internet actually lost power. I still have servers with them that are down. It's going to be a long day.

Just got notified that not all servers did boot properly, like @subigo said.. its going to be a long day (or night as it is in my part of the world)

• Meh, It only affected us for a short period.

my vps didnt even bother to go online the first time ...

• Wholesale's generator is obviously not up to the task. I think we can just count on everything being down until the building actually has power again.

• @subigo said: Wholesale's generator is obviously not up to the task. I think we can just count on everything being down until the building actually has power again.

Probably meant for short term downtime? Like an hour or two.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@Kairus said: Probably meant for short term downtime? Like an hour or two.

You're thinking of a UPS/Battery sort of thing. The sort of generator you're dealing with in datacenters are meant to generate power indefinitely until power is restored, if it doesn't it should be scrapped :P

right now I'm glad i moved the one site that was somewhat important to me onto another vps with another provider :)

@Infinity unless something broke down

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@MikHo said: @Infinity unless something broke down

Indeed, they tend to break down when they haven't been checked regularly. I know in my uncle's workplace, they have a very very big generator and have to do a startup and some tests every month, they should do that in datacenters.

• I went through this same thing with DimeNoc a few years ago and another datacenter a few years before that. I'm starting to think datacenters have no idea how to actually maintain a generator. At this point, I would have much preferred a scheduled outage without even attempting to use the generator.

• IMO 2 generators are needed at minimum, with each being powerful enough to support the entire datacenter by itself. This way, if a generator does break, the other one can take over while the broken one is repaired. :)

• More discussion about it is going on in topics here on WHT

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

• From Aaron at Wholesale:

"Now we've sprung a coolant leak causing the generator to overheat. I had my techs haul water jugs from the water cooler down to the generator to refill the radiator and the gen tech is patching the hole."

LMAO... at this point it's just funny. I hope next time they just turn everything off cleanly and wait for the power to come back on.

And Aaron also says that maintenance started later then expected meaning it will probably last longer aswell...

I take this time to go to bed and curl up in a corner, try to get some sleep ...

• @MikHo said: curl up in a corner, try to get some sleep ...

LOL... my business partner 2nds that.

• Haha...This is pretty bad.
    @DotVPS and Anyone else curious Check the live server status at http://easestatus.com/

I can't stress enough: PLEASE do not come to the building. The elevators are down, the lights are out and the emergency lights in the stairway are out. It is not a safe situation for people unfamiliar with the building layout.

• SrvisLLCSrvisLLC Member
    edited February 2012

@Jacob said: I can't stress enough: PLEASE do not come to the building. The elevators are down, the lights are out and the emergency lights in the stairway are out. It is not a safe situation for people unfamiliar with the building layout.

That sounds fun to me I like dark buildings. lol

• @Jacob said: I can't stress enough: PLEASE do not come to the building. The elevators are down, the lights are out and the emergency lights in the stairway are out. It is not a safe situation for people unfamiliar with the building layout.

Emergency lights are out too, I guess the building is not up to code :O. Sounds like the end of the world when data centers are completely out of power.

• It appears the power was fully restored to the building.

• Virpus is still down.. their twitter says power is up 10 hrs back. The nodes aren't online until now. permanently moved a few sites hosted by virpus vps to a cluster.

I got an email a few hours ago that all but one node was up, my vps was up then and is up now.

• @DotVPS said: Who do they have servers with? im guessing there colo'in?

yes i suppose they colo there. unfortunately my vps is still down, while i have got a email from them 12 hrs back that everything is normal. i hope my node didn't run away from the datacenter while the power was off. ;(

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

They colo with wholesale.. least that what I can find.

@peppr can you login to your CP and boot it?
    If you tracert, does the node respond?

Submit a ticket about SLA, they have the teems in writing on their site...

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@MikHo Nope it doesnt. It doesnt even smell of a dead rat. I am all waiting while my uptimerobot happily paints red all over it.

Status

yes the red line..

Curious abt the greens?
    Hostigation, 123systems, chicagovps, linode and bluevm

• subigosubigo Member
    edited February 2012

Virpus has 20 nodes colo'd at Wholesale Internet. At 9pm all of those nodes were online. I have a xen container with them because we use the same datacenter and I needed something to develop on that was in a different section. My container came back up around 5pm and has been online since. Sounds like you might have had some corruption.

edit: Oops, looks like I was wrong. I just asked and they still have fsck running on a few nodes.