Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streaming video and sound
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Streaming video and sound

Hello.
Basically i want to be able to livestream on youtube from a remote server.
As i understand a vps will not do that for me since i need a soundcard..
Is there a way around this (without leaving my personal computer on) ?
So the alternative is a dedicated server. Now the other related questions are, will any basic dedicated server do the job? do i need windows as the OS? Will some crazy cheap deal like https://www.online.net/en/server-dedicated/start-2-s-ssd
or
https://turnkeyinternet.net/dedicated-servers/quadcore/
Be good enough to do the job?
Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Please tell me this isn't for one of those shitty spam streams that just consist of stolen music and donation begging.

That being said, no, you don't even need a GPU or Windows, just use ffmpeg on command line.

Thanked by 1patchy
  • patchypatchy Member
    edited November 2019

@hzr said:
    Please tell me this isn't for one of those shitty spam streams that just consist of stolen music and donation begging.

That being said, no, you don't even need a GPU or Windows, just use ffmpeg on command line.

Thanks for your reply.
    I am not sure what i am going to do with that yet..
    But i am very interested in understanding what it takes to make that work.
    Many providers advertise servers dedicated for youtube streaming for a very high price, if this is something i can do on a cheap vps/server maybe there is a market there.
    Anyway my point is, i am probably not going to do any begging or stream stolen music.
    Regarding FFmpeg dont you need a soundcard for that?

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • patchy said: if this is something i can do on a cheap vps/server maybe there is a market there.

patchy said: Anyway my point is, i am probably not going to do any begging or stream stolen music.

This is what your customers will be doing.

Also, will require dedicated cores / custom coding

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2019

FFmpeg can do basically anything, stream from files/images/restreaming others livestreams and also transcoding between different formats. For simple restreaming you can also use nginx with rtmp plugin.

FFmpeg needs a decent CPU and ram, but a VPS can handle that. nginx-rtmp runs very smooth on the shittiest VPS. You dont need a sound or videocard for both.

Thanked by 2patchy maverickp
  • @pike said:
    FFmpeg can do basically anything, stream from files/images/restreaming others livestreams and also transcoding between different formats. For simple restreaming you can also use nginx with rtmp plugin.

FFmpeg needs a decent CPU and ram, but a VPS can handle that. nginx-rtmp runs very smooth on the shittiest VPS. You dont need a sound or videocard for both.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
    What should be a "decent CPU and ram"?
    And i just want to make sure, if for example i have some music files on the vps i'll be able to stream them?

• patchy said: What should be a "decent CPU and ram"?

Dedicated core (not thread), at minimum. This is where the price comes from, assume each encoder will do at least 100% of 1 core.

You will need to know how to code for this.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2019

I cannot tell the CPU you need for your exact use case. You could register for Hetzner Cloud and try their instances beginning with the smallest.

Yes, you can start ffmpeg in way like ffmpeg "input audio stream" "input video stream/static image" "output: e.g. youtube livestream" (ofc you need to add some other commands, you need to find out yourself by reading the documentation or googling for it since youre not the first one doing this)

Thanked by 1patchy
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

If you plan on multiple streams you may consider going dedicated with a GPU instead of multiple VPSes. An i3 with UHD 630 graphics at Ikoula does up to 850 fps while transcoding h264 from HD to SD. Not sure what encoding will you be doing and from what codecs if any, but thats 28 simultaneous HD-to-SD streams in theory. I will find out if its true in practice on Sunday.

Thanked by 1patchy
  • Remember that it's not legal for you to commerically use nvidia consumer GPUs for this.

Thanked by 1PUSHR_Victor
  • Why is Turnkey even an option? those guys don't have support.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@hzr said:
    Remember that it's not legal for you to commerically use nvidia consumer GPUs for this.

Depends upon the drivers you use. There is no contract at point of sale as to the use of their hardware, only an EULA to agree to with proprietary drivers during driver install, regarding the use of their proprietary closed source drivers.

• 1gservers said: Depends upon the drivers you use

NVENC is functionally worthless on nouveau, though.