Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SoyouStart] Black Friday now opened ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SoyouStart] Black Friday now opened !

Comments

• ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

@ninzo59 are the drives in SYS-BF-1 hotswap?

• @ninzo59 said:

@Nekki said:
    Price is less in £, send help.

@ninzo59 is there plenty of stock in UK?

less than 100 on BF 1 UK

How about BHS? Plenty of stock?

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: And blow my BF budget two days early?

You're always blowing something early, get in there.

Thanked by 2TimboJones poisson
  • @Lee said:

Nekki said: And blow my BF budget two days early?

You're always blowing something early, get in there.

You know me so well.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

I mean I am so tempted too, the only thing holding me back is that its OVH and if the server went down I would have to wait a week* for them to do something about it.

*yes, personal experience.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Wad blown.

Wish me luck boys, this is going to be a bumpy BF/CM weekend after a start like this.

Thanked by 2datanoise Lee
  • Shit.

OVH LTD - https://www.soyoustart.com/en
    6 London House
    LONDON
    EC3R 7LP

Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for choosing an OVH dedicated server. 

You can now go to your control panel to install your choice of operating system. 

https://eu.soyoustart.com/manager/

Kind regards,

SoYouStart.co.uk Customer Service
    Mon-Fri from 9am to 6pm

Thanked by 2poisson Trav
  • Lee said: if the server went down I would have to wait a week* for them to do something about it.

Had a KS (CA) server going down, they were very, very fast in detecting that something was wrong and fixing it. I guess YMMV.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: Wad blown.

Good man, I mean I am tempted still, for the sake of £30 a month, its nothing for the spec of it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Lee if it's any consolation, I had a Kimsufi drive swapped in <30 mins earlier this year.

I don't NEED the 4x2T offer, but I want it... Gotta see what else I can get rid of.

Thanked by 2Lee poisson
  • Harambe said: I don't NEED the 4x2T offer, but I want it

This is exactly how we've all evolved to become such masterful idlers...

Thanked by 2Harambe poisson
  • Lee said: Good man, I mean I am tempted still, for the sake of £30 a month, its nothing for the spec of it.

Anything under £35 inc VAT for 8TB of storage is nuts really.

Considering going back for a second one in France and finally killing off the KS flash sale specials.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: Anything under £35 inc VAT for 8TB of storage and in the UK is nuts really.

FTFY

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • LeeLee Veteran

Fuck it, if it was France I would have passed, but as it is the UK. Just had it delivered. I accepted the setup fee though if it's shit I will take the hit, if not well I will have it for a while so don't care.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I’m not doing France, got a feeling there will be other goodies over the coming days.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@Harambe said:
    I don't NEED the 4x2T offer, but I want it... Gotta see what else I can get rid of.

When you see stuff like this, the brain goes into "Well I could use this deal for this and for that.." but it never happens in the end after excitedly benchmarking it the first week.

• poisson said:

When you see stuff like this, the brain goes into "Well I could use this deal for this and for that.." but it never happens in the end after excitedly benchmarking it the first week.

Exactly. I know there is an idler nature in every LET member, but there only so much my pocket can afford. I already dropped a few offers I got earlier this year and I might drop some more to make room for BF.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • I have an existing box that expires soon and I was wondering if you could apply the BF pricing to my renewal instead of me buying a new box with the same specs? love SYS @ninzo59

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

@venial said:
    I have an existing box that expires soon and I was wondering if you could apply the BF pricing to my renewal instead of me buying a new box with the same specs? love SYS @ninzo59

Hello, unfortunately you would have to buy a new one to get this price.

• @ninzo59 is it possible to get SYS-BF-1 with 2x480GB SSD instead of SoftRAID 4x2TB SATA? :)
    And who has Poland location, what about speed?

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

@Kodis said:
    @ninzo59 is it possible to get SYS-BF-1 with 2x480GB SSD instead of SoftRAID 4x2TB SATA? :)
    And who has Poland location, what about speed?

We can't change the configuration, sorry.

• @venial said:
    I have an existing box that expires soon and I was wondering if you could apply the BF pricing to my renewal instead of me buying a new box with the same specs? love SYS @ninzo59

Congrats on your first post

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Just out of curiosity I grabed a SYS-BF-1 in Limburg(DE).
    Pretty nice configuration, decent CPU, HDDs okay (3 years old), so far stable network to all destinations I could test, good connectivity and peering to Frakfurt, but as already mentioned - and that's the pain point for me - constant but slightly less than 245 Mbit/s throughput.

In my opinion in 2019 where servers are moving from 1Gb towards 10Gb like it happened in the past from 100Mb to 1Gb and every VPS now has 1-10G (shared) bandwidth, I think 250Mb are to less for a dedicated server in the price range 30+ EUR.

@ninzo59: Would be nice and competitive to see 500 Mbps in SYS soon - as it was announced in 2018.
    In October 2018 double bandwidth also for SYS was announced (Source).
    In November 2018 it was you confirming 500 Mbps will be coming in Janary 2019 latest (Source).
    And now in November 2019.. nothing has changed.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited November 2019

Seems like more people wanted SSD instead of 4x2TB HDDs.

• Crap CPUs, no RAID, limited speed... so easy not to fall for it :D

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • not sure why anyone would hop on these deals, it's easy to get into the hype but look at the port speed. I wouldn't purchase a dedi under 1gb.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I am tempted to say that OVH has pretty decent peerings and overall good network.
    For example in Frankfurt they have Seabone, Telia, Level3, Core Backbone, DE-CIX and private peerings with DTAG, UPC, Vodafone, Telefonica and others.
    That's hard to find in the 30 EUR dedi low end market.

If you compare it with Online.net where most traffic to end-customer ISPs has to go via T1 carriers and often congested links.
    However in particular Online.net seems to have their network bandwidth greatly improved during the last 4 weeks which makes it hard to decide in this case.

But in the end I tend to say that 250 Mbps port speed is a show stopper for a 30+ EUR dedi in 2019.
    I hoped they would keep their promise from 2018 to also double SYS port speed.
    If there wasn't this limit, it would be a good offer in my opinion.

• LeeLee Veteran

network33 said: not sure why anyone would hop on these deals, it's easy to get into the hype but look at the port speed. I wouldn't purchase a dedi under 1gb.

Because each use case is different and some of us can actually achieve what we want at that port speed.

• And to add, OVH/KS/SYS in general have very consistent network performance and one can typically expect to get what they advertise.

With many other hosts, my experience has been that there's a great variation on the speed - often it is fast for short quick bursts but rarely does it sustain anything respectable (and this is irrespective of whether it is a dedi or a VPS).

So once you start a long drawn backup, I've found even my 100Mbit KS's outperform many of my other 1Gbit hosts.

Thanked by 1ninzo59
  • Would I be insane to try and move my mailserver to one of these? Its currently on a nice clean IP... has anyone reliably hosted mail on OVH IPs?