Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To synchronize different servers in different countries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How To synchronize different servers in different countries?

i have in mind To create an international site so how could be posible To synchronize the content between different dedicated servers? I mean 1 in Europe another in US another in south america,etc. Using cloudflare would be another way To do it but i think that would be slower and would add a high latency if i have only 1 dedicated server in hetzner for example. Any advice/ ideas ? The page would be static and dynamic content with logged in users.

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

What are you using for the backend? PHP? You could rsync content to all the servers, and set up clustering for a DB if you are using one.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @Jord said:
    What are you using for the backend? PHP? You could rsync content to all the servers, and set up clustering for a DB if you are using one.

Probably at the beginning would be PHP or laravel so yes. What do you mean by clustering the db. I mean i understand the básic idea but not how could i do it. Would be possible To give me an example,please?

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

Probably at the beginning would be PHP or laravel so yes. What do you mean by clustering the db. I mean i understand the básic idea but not how could i do it. Would be possible To give me an example,please?

You can use MariaDB Galera Cluster, install it on each of your servers and it would keep your DB's in sync. But the latency might affect how long it would take to sync. We use it with laravel at the moment, and it seems to work great for us.

It also acts as a failover incase one server goes offline, we can simply switch over to a server while we fix the other one. Meaning our clients can always get to their service.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • Thank you so much @Jord ! Btw are you using centminmod in such config?@eva2000 is that configuration going To work properly with centminmod as well? Thanks !

edited November 2019

@Chievo said:

Thank you so much @Jord ! Btw are you using centminmod in such config?@eva2000 is that configuration going To work properly with centminmod as well? Thanks !

No we have our own internal network. So we push all our changes via Ansible. We can update, install and push new features with a click of a button.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited November 2019

If your main server is on the US or EU and you use a CDN for your static assets (CF free can be enough, BunnyCDN does perform better in some places (Asia, AU, BR) but adds an extra DNS lookup which adds up the few MS you'd win using them rather than CF free or almost: difference is rather slim) you should be fine, no need to have servers everywhere: a lot of big international website are hosted in NYC or AMS. The US west coast would work fine as well, adding 80 ms to EU but lowering your latency to some area in Asia... Anyway optimization on the server itself (good setup, compression, caching...) can make your page load as fast as if it was close to the user but badly optimized, even if your server is at the other side of the world. If the static assets are close to your end user one location can be enough, as long as it's well connected.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @Jord said:

@Chievo said:

Thank you so much @Jord ! Btw are you using centminmod in such config?@eva2000 is that configuration going To work properly with centminmod as well? Thanks !

No we have our own internal network. So we push all our changes via Ansible. We can update, install and push new features with a click of a button.

Thank you again for a.such information! Well this seems To be hard but i am going To give it a try.Dentists must be ready for everything so....it is a matter of time To make it real.

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

Thank you again for a.such information! Well this seems To be hard but i am going To give it a try.Dentists must be ready for everything so....it is a matter of time To make it real.

No problem, it's a tricky balance, but once you get the groundwork sorted you are pretty much ready to go. Keep it running smoothly and it will look after you :)

Just please make sure you have BACKUPS. Because the MariaDB Galera Cluster can die, I've had it happen to me before, restoring was easy and it synced across the nodes. Nothing is safe, just remember that.

If you need further help feel free to tag me :)

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • CDN

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @datanoise said:
    If your main server is on the US or EU and you use a CDN for your static assets (CF free can be enough, BunnyCDN does perform better in some places (Asia, AU, BR) but adds an extra DNS lookup which adds up the few MS you'd win using them rather than CF free or almost: difference is rather slim) you should be fine, no need to have servers everywhere: a lot of big international website are hosted in NYC or AMS. The US west coast would work fine as well, adding 80 ms to EU but lowering your latency to some area in Asia... Anyway optimization on the server itself (good setup, compression, caching...) can make your page load as fast as if it was close to the user but badly optimized, even if your server is at the other side of the world. If the static assets are close to your end user one location can be enough, as long as it's well connected.

Thanks you for your advice. Yes using a cloudflare+bunny CDN could work. Honestly i have not checked the speeds and the website it is only on my mind so i have time to think about it. To be completely honest i have not had the chance To offer a global website so i have not had this issue before and i must be completely aware of which infrastructure i would need in order To add it to the costs etc

edited November 2019

Chievo said: cloudflare+bunny CDN

cloudflare OR bunny, no need for both.

No need to overthink it imo if it's for a website: one server in a good location (NYC, MIA, AMS, LON...) not too far from where most of your userbase will be + a CDN for static stuff and you're good to go: the internet already is global! (Heck, it could even work nicely without a CDN, as long as you choose wisely your host & location!)

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

No problem, it's a tricky balance, but once you get the groundwork sorted you are pretty much ready to go. Keep it running smoothly and it will look after you :)

Just please make sure you have BACKUPS. Because the MariaDB Galera Cluster can die, I've had it happen to me before, restoring was easy and it synced across the nodes. Nothing is safe, just remember that.

Thanks! and if you have any question about Dentistry please ask me anything. You are more than welcome .If you wish To know which is the dental nginx centminmod with maria clusters on it you are at message of obtaining it. You know cavities are part of the past so..... Fortunately( economically )people are using apache 1 into their dental health. ;)

Thanked by 1Jord

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

Thanks! and if you have any question about Dentistry please ask me anything. You are more than welcome .If you wish To know which is the dental nginx centminmod with maria clusters on it you are at message of obtaining it. You know cavities are part of the past so..... Fortunately( economically )people are using apache 1 into their dental health. ;)

Very prem sir, thank you :) I have my checkup next year hahaa. I never use apache. Either OpenLitespeed or Nginx.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @datanoise said:

Chievo said: cloudflare+bunny CDN

cloudflare OR bunny, no need for both.

No need to overthink it imo: one server in a good location (NYC, MIA, AMS, LON...) not too far from where most of your traffic will come + a CDN for static stuff and you're good to go: the internet already is global! (Heck, it could even work decently without a CDN, as long as your host has decent peering!)

Sure i got it. Yes but this is the problem i have tested my website located in luxembourg with a VPN from Australia,Asia or south América and i am losing 4seconds or so.It is true that i am using the free cloudflare only so some datacenters are not activated. This is the problem if the project is global with 1 server i would be in trouble if we focus on speed for example. At least this is what i have checked . may be i am not completely right( could be the case)

• @Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

Very prem sir, thank you :) I have my checkup next year hahaa. I never use apache. Either OpenLitespeed or Nginx.

Oral B pro expert as toothpaste+ eléctric toothbrush pro 5000 or superior+ xylitol from Boots+ flossing every night+ Fluocaril bought on Amazon and applied during the nights and you would be free of cavities 99.99999%. No NHS band2 fillings neither 100£ white fillings done privately. Who needs a vaccine against the caries if we have LET??? ;)

Thanked by 2Jord poisson
    edited November 2019

VPN isn't the good way to test as it adds latency from you to the server: it won't tell you how fast your site will load directly from AU (in your example).

Better use https://gtmetrix.com/ (create an account there to be able to use all their locations and have faster results).or similar services. That way you can also easily compare different setups (with or without CDN, CF vs Bunny, etc). If you want to experiment with multiple locations route 53 DNS works well and is easy to setup, using hourly billed instances with vultr or DO and a simple static setup it's rather easy and cheap to do your own testing. Good luck!

Thanked by 2Chievo Chievo

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

@Jord said:

@Chievo said:

Oral B pro expert as toothpaste+ eléctric toothbrush pro 5000 or superior+ xylitol from Boots+ flossing every night+ Fluocaril bought on Amazon and applied during the nights and you would be free of cavities 99.99999%. No NHS band2 fillings neither 100£ white fillings done privately. Who needs a vaccine against the caries if we have LET??? ;)

Thankfully I have very good teeth health. I only got my first filling when I was 25 haha.

Thanked by 1Chievo