Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenLiteSpeed Vs Nginx for only static files
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenLiteSpeed Vs Nginx for only static files

pkrpkr Member
edited November 2019 in Help

For serving only static files (images, CSS, and js), which one should I use: OpenLiteSpeed or Nginx.
OpenLiteSpeed website claims that it is faster than Nginx, but some bloggers have posted different benchmarks. So, I am a bit confused and need help.

Comments

• I don't think you will feel any difference unless you are talking about some massive traffic. Personally, I think either works fine.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2019

There's not going to be any noticeable difference. If you want it easy and don't want to spend the time configuring/optimizing Nginx then go with OLS.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I'd roll Nginx as it's what I'm more familiar with.
    To be honest, I'd bet you could get faster load times by optimizing payload sizes rather than trying to squeeze a bit more via configuration/optimizing of Nginx/OLS.

TL;DR flip a coin and just go with it.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Just go with Ngnix, I do see community or google can help you with a lot of tweaks.

• Little load = not noticeable
    • Higher load = there're a lot of factor to consider (Disk, Network, Bandwidth, Route, etc) ..
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

PLOT TWIST: you could use a CDN.

Thanked by 1gazmull
  • @raindog308 said:

Earlier I was using free Cloudflare CDN, but Google was not happy because the average load time was 30-50s. After I stopped using CF, the average load time came down to 4-6s.

• Thank you everyone for suggestions.

• openlite + cloudflare , rocket speed

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Openlitespeed is prem

• @pkr said:

@raindog308 said:

Earlier I was using free Cloudflare CDN, but Google was not happy because the average load time was 30-50s. After I stopped using CF, the average load time came down to 4-6s.

Uhm, I'm not talking about Cloudflare CDN that people generally used, its serverless (Service Worker by Cloudflare) just like Amazon Lambda. Been using it as experiment with static sites, and its just load fassstt my man. Blog post

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dazzle said: Service Worker by Cloudflare

Or on Amazon S3, etc.

Or a different CDN...not sure what Cloudflare promises, but was thinking more like @BunnySpeed's BunnyCDN or one of its innumerable competitors.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@pkr said:
    For serving only static files (images, CSS, and js), which one should I use: OpenLiteSpeed or Nginx.
    OpenLiteSpeed website claims that it is faster than Nginx, but some bloggers have posted different benchmarks. So, I am a bit confused and need help.

File sizes, number of files (on disk ~ size of set), storage medium (e.g. NVMe vs. spindles), and req/s are the decisive factors along with the caching capabilities of the http(s) software used.

If most requests end in serving multiple files (as is often the case) going http/2 will probably enhance performance (as perceived by clients) more than OLS vs. nginx or fine tuning their config to squeeze out the last bit of performance.

If latency is of concern -and- you are serving a not too large region not using a CDN will probably be better.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @Dazzle said:

@pkr said:

@raindog308 said:

Uhm, I'm not talking about Cloudflare CDN that people generally used, its serverless (Service Worker by Cloudflare) just like Amazon Lambda. Been using it as experiment with static sites, and its just load fassstt my man. Blog post

I will try Cloudflare worker. Thanks for the information. I was not aware of it.

• You could use Github Pages or Netlify for static pages.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

OpenLiteSpeed doesn't require much configuration. It also includes LSCache. If you don't want to tweak your installation afterwards go with OLS.

• +1 Nginx.

• From my experience, and using HTTP/2, H2O is the fastest for static files, then Nginx. However, for some reasons, all benchmarks / tests I see, are giving H2O behind. I don't know why. The best is always to test yourself , and see what works best in your case.

• I would try Nignx with pre-compressed static files.

Thanked by 2datanoise Roldan
  • @bountysite said:
    I would try Nignx with pre-compressed static files.

+1 nginx pre-compressed static files is much faster for better throughput and latency response times :)

@SteveMC said:
    From my experience, and using HTTP/2, H2O is the fastest for static files, then Nginx. However, for some reasons, all benchmarks / tests I see, are giving H2O behind. I don't know why. The best is always to test yourself , and see what works best in your case.

Throughput versus latency. h2o due to more mature HTTP/2 prioritization implementation (like cloudflare's HTTP/2 prioritization) will make pages render/load faster for visible content. But h2o like caddy in terms of throughput/scale falls behind compared to likes of nginx and openlitespeed/litespeed . h2o and caddy will degrade further in terms of throughput scale the more HTTP headers you add to HTTP responses compared to nginx and openlitespeed/litespeed as well.

You can read up on HTTP/2 prioritization at

Had one Cloudflare user ask about HTTP/2 prioritization in Cloudflare and the steps I went through might be of interest to folks here too https://community.cloudflare.com/t/h-2-image-resource-prioritisation-seemingly-not-working/132120

Thanked by 2SteveMC datanoise
  • masedimasedi Member
    edited November 2019

Try yourself and find which is the best according to your needs and your expertise..

OLS compatible with Apache .htaccess, while Nginx has different approach... I by myself would recommend Nginx, cuz I familiar with it... So, choose your own choice.