Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap(est) Node js hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap(est) Node js hosting?

Hi there,

I want to host a non-static react app, it won't use many resources, so just looking for a cheap one.

EU preferred.

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Wait until BF, grab a cheap yearly VPS with a reputable provider and apt-get install what you need? Probably gonna be the cheapest you can get.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Vancete what type of services are you looking for? Some shared providers use Cloudlinux that give you Node.js services. Or are you looking for a VPS?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Jord Node.js itself is fine, don't need an entire VPS, just a script running and a little frontend.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Vancete said:
    @Jord Node.js itself is fine, don't need an entire VPS, just a script running and a little frontend.

@Vancete I can offer shared hosting with node.js feel free to PM me if you would like.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

If it's a single app , checkout netlify

• @ManishPant said:

Another manish? Wow

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

We do support Node.js on our shared hosting, wait for BF even and you be able to get decent offers.

• edited November 2019

if you need one app, use heorku first

• ^ heroku

@Vancete - if you search for comments from @joepie91 (who is well versed in deploying and debugging node.js) you'll find a strong recommendation to use a VPS rather than shared hosting for node.js ... (I don't have any experience with node.js on shared hosting myself but I would be generally inclined to take that advice.)

Thanked by 2vimalware poisson
  • Dont even consider node.js on shared hosting. Its just as much as clusterfuck as Ruby on cPanel. If a $5 Linode/DigitalOcean VPS worries you then use Heroku

• Finally found a good ofer here for a cloudlinux shared hosting.

Not worried too much about performance, it will host an app that only I will use.

Many thanks

Thanked by 1uptime
  • CloudLinux/Node.js app shared hosting available in London from £3/year :) Is that cheap enough?

Thanked by 1Vancete
  • Free works? Link in my sig :)

Thanked by 1Vancete
  • @ManishPant said:

Netlify is (mostly) static hosting only. They do have some lambda support now though, but you can't host regular Node.js apps there.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

You can spin up a NodeJS instance within minutes on https://cloudjiffy.com/ . Free 14 day trial and starts at just $1 per month.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • axzxc1236axzxc1236 Member
    edited November 2019

I run 4 Node.JS scripts on Wishosting's OpenVZ server ($3/year), it runs fine-ish.

I experienced down-time from time to time, but it's $3 VPS, so it's performance still exceeded my expectation.

(
    I used port-monitor.com to monitor the SSH port, it emailed me 4 times from August to Today.

With check invterval 180s, it went down for
    (1)3h39m56s
    (2)1h42m38s
    (3)2h7m16s
    (4)7h19m57s

I recommend you setup your program with init system just in case, no matter what VPS you are going with.
    )

• You can use Google Compute for free. Fire up a small VPS (they have a free tier) and install whatever you like. You can also make snapshots etc for easy restores.

https://cloud.google.com/compute/

• You can host with www.evennode.com
    They specialize on Node.js and are pretty cheap imo.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Our BF for shared hosting starts from £7.50 /year and we do support Node.js:

Basic
    Ideal to host 5 Domain Name
    Unlimited Sub-Domains
    5GB Diskspace
    100Gb Data Transfer
    1 IPv6 Address
    10 MySQL Database
    Unlimited FTP Account
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    Pure SSD Storage
    Raid Protected Storage
    Anti-DDoS Protection
    Plesk Control Panel
    99.99% Uptime SLA
    14 Day Money Back
    £7.50 /year (use BLACKFRIDAY2019 discount code)
    Order Link: https://billing.web-project.uk/order/config/index/shared-hosting/?group_id=6&pricing_id=118

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We too support it. SSH access included in our shared and reseller plans.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@uptime said:
    ^ heroku

@Vancete - if you search for comments from @joepie91 (who is well versed in deploying and debugging node.js) you'll find a strong recommendation to use a VPS rather than shared hosting for node.js ... (I don't have any experience with node.js on shared hosting myself but I would be generally inclined to take that advice.)

I hadn't realized that I'd publicly said that before, but yeah, you're correct - trying to run Node.js on shared hosting is a recipe for headaches.

It's possible, but you're going to be spending a lot of time dealing with weird environment quirks, and working around limitations in what software you can install - given that you don't have root access, and unlike PHP, Node.js doesn't ship with the kitchensink included.

If you value your time, sanity - and more importantly, ability to learn and grow - at all, I'd strongly recommend just getting a VPS. Then you'll be able to use things in the Node.js ecosystem as-intended, instead of wasting your time learning about shared-hosting-specific quirks.

(I don't recommend magical IaaS Node.js hosting providers either, they're usually proprietary environments that lock you into a heavily overpriced hosting plan beyond the free trial plan.)

Thanked by 1Chronic