Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP - less specific prefix announced by unrelated company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP - less specific prefix announced by unrelated company

Hey LET,

So I've been announcing a few /48's recently for some voice servers and research (at present nothing commerical, just personal use). I didn't have any problems until this morning, when another AS (unrelated to me) began to announce an entire /12 that contained my /48's.

Usually I'd have thought that's OK, as BGP routers would prefer to use the more specific /48 prefix where possible, so my /48's should be routed as normal. However, some of my end-users (all on one particular internet provider) told me that my server was down for them since the larger /12 was announced.

To me that sounds like something in their ISP is going wrong, as the packets should be following the path given by the most specific entry in the routing table - but I'm not sure how common this situation is, or if anyone here has some insights - would really appreciate any input :)

Comments

• Maybe more specific route is also announced by the ISP? Have you checked on bgp.he.net?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Is this the Zayo thing I saw someone mention on Twitter a while ago? They announced a /12 or something.

• @sanvit said:
    Maybe more specific route is also announced by the ISP? Have you checked on bgp.he.net?

Thanks for the suggestion - bgp.he.net shows the correct route to my ASN, so I don't think there are any more specifics. I also checked RIPE routestat and the more specific route definitely isn't being announced.

• @MikeA said:
    Is this the Zayo thing I saw someone mention on Twitter a while ago? They announced a /12 or something.

Yeah, it is :) Zayo France seem to have announced 2000::/12.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@YellowHummingbird said:

@MikeA said:

Yeah, it is :) Zayo France seem to have announced 2000::/12.

HAHHAA You got hijacked by Zayo. LMAO. Tell them to get their shit together.