Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal nextcloud with Oracle free tier
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal nextcloud with Oracle free tier

Anyone uses nextcloud with the Oracle free tier, using the autonomous database service instead a normal mysql database?

Comments

• Your going to be paying for inbound bandwidth and that 1/8th core gonna get crushed. 100gb storage Might get filled up of your using it for media

• king8654 said: Your going to be paying for inbound bandwidth and that 1/8th core gonna get crushed.

Nothing is free with Oracle ^^

I will try with the rest of the free credit. Thanks.

• @king8654 said:
    Your going to be paying for inbound bandwidth and that 1/8th core gonna get crushed. 100gb storage Might get filled up of your using it for media

I thought the traffic is free for 10TB/m

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

So what's the fine print?

• @elliotc said:
    I thought the traffic is free for 10TB/m

10TB are much more than enough

• The autonomous database service compatible with NextCloud?

• They promised that you won't be able to use the resources which aren't free unless you upgrade the billing account so i'd say give it a go and see what happens.

• nextcloud doesn't support oracle db

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

aRNoLD said: The autonomous database service compatible with NextCloud?

Chocoweb said: nextcloud doesn't support oracle db

Not true:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/17/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html

However, Oracle is supported "only as part of an enterprise subscription".

They also list Oracle 11g, which is odd. 11g is on extended support and goes off support entirely on December 31, 2020. It's three full version back (12c, 18c, and 19c have come out since). Oracle's autonomous database service is not run on 11g - it's on 19c.

My guess is that if you have an enterprise subscription and you try to run NextCloud on Oracle's ads, it might very well work - most 11g code works just fine on later versions. But it's not supported.

You're also in the <1% of NextCloud group, which means you'll likely find many new bugs. I worked with a group that insisted on doing Ruby on Rails on Oracle some years ago...it was supported (then), but because <1% of RoR instances were run on Oracle, we were unfortunately bug-finding pioneers.

In general, you can't take MySQL code and just run it on Oracle - very different RDBMSes. You'll have more luck with Postgres (in particular there's more query and DML compatibility) but a lot still won't work because the DDL is so different (or at least potentially so different).

• ese_enzo said: 10TB are much more than enough

how much bandwidth actually Oracle offers for always free tier ?

• 5MB/s per instance

• @dragon1993 said:
    5MB/s per instance

Someone said 10MB/s using the load balancer service....

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I guess you are mixing up Mbit and MByte per second. ;)

The always-free compute instance (VM) is throttled to roughly 50 Mbit/s or 5 MB/s.
    The always-free load balancer is limited to 10 Mbit/s or about 1 MB/s.

• a3Brena3Bren Member
    edited November 2019

Oracle terminate your service for no reason, if you don't want to risk your data, go for another trustworthy provider.

• a3Bren said: rminate your service for no reason, if you don't want to risk your data, go for another trustworthy provider.

yeap, this will be a some kind of mirror