Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tar gzip possibly corrupted but is not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

tar gzip possibly corrupted but is not?

I have some backups compressed as tar gzip but somehow when I view and extract them via 7zip (Win10), it displays a weird multiple numeric sub-directory structure wherein the contents are scattered all around. Dir names are not unix timestamps though.

Both command line extraction on linux and windows works properly and content is not corrupted.

Just not sure what is actually happening though?

Comments

• try winzip

• What does 7zip say when you do "Test archive"?

What version of 7zip are you using?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

WinRAR FTW

• 8zip is a newer and better version.

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • @ITLabs said:
    8zip is a newer and better version.

There is no 8zip. After 7zip, they released 10zip and says that's the final version that will receive automated updates.

P. S. Updates may wipe your drive and any and all social media accounts.

Thanked by 3ITLabs nulldev poisson
  • @donli said:
    What does 7zip say when you do "Test archive"?

What version of 7zip are you using?

@sanmax88 - ^ those are some good questions to help diagnose, might be getting lost in the noise :)

• Funny enough, 9zip exists and it can't extract tar gzip files :wink:

7zip does not report any errors @donli @uptime Here's what it looks like inside https://i.postimg.cc/2yhvd8yN/Capture.png

• @sanmax88 said:
    Funny enough, 9zip exists and it can't extract tar gzip files :wink:

7zip does not report any errors @donli @uptime Here's what it looks like inside https://i.postimg.cc/2yhvd8yN/Capture.png

Because tar and zip are really separate parts and not native to Windows I prefer just installing zip on my Linux boxes and making zip archives for use later on Windows and I have limited experience using tar.gz files on 7zip. I just checked a .tgz I had and there was no problem with it (or the file names) with 7zip on WIn10 64bit.

You could try the free trial version of WinRar which will unpack tgz files and see what it does,

• @donli said:

@sanmax88 said:
    Funny enough, 9zip exists and it can't extract tar gzip files :wink:

Because tar and zip are really separate parts and not native to Windows I prefer just installing zip on my Linux boxes and making zip archives for use later on Windows and I have limited experience using tar.gz files on 7zip. I just checked a .tgz I had and there was no problem with it (or the file names) with 7zip on WIn10 64bit.

You could try the free trial version of WinRar which will unpack tgz files and see what it does,

No problem, the command shell does have native tar support so I have no issues extracting on Win10 machines. I'm just curious what's happening with the files on 7zip.

• @sanmax88 said:

No problem, the command shell does have native tar support so I have no issues extracting on Win10 machines. I'm just curious what's happening with the files on 7zip.

Were the original filenames encoded in some weird unicode? Do you have the latest 7zip?

• donli said: Do you have the latest 7zip?

right ... if you want to know what's going on, might be a good first step to compare behavior with latest version.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/19.00/

I think if you search around a bit you might find discussion of various bugs in older versions (some involving handling of symbolic links, etc). Narrowing your search for enlightment to a specific version might help avoid going down several rabbit holes on a wild goose chase :smiley:

tl;dr: which version of 7-zip are you using bro?