Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is a good relatión RAM SSD on a dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is a good relatión RAM SSD on a dedicated server?

RAM 1 - 20GB Ssd/Nvme

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Please be clear with your question or else you might not be getting the response/answers you need :)

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

The amount and type of memory and storage will vary depending on your use case. Try to specify your workload type (database, web server, transcoding etc.) to get better answers.

A good (generic) starting point is this Azure overview. Also note the relationship between CPU and memory.

• Balanced CPU-to-memory: Good for testing and development, small- to medium-size databases, low- to medium-volume traffic web servers.

• High CPU-to-memory: Good for medium-volume traffic web server, network appliances, batch processes, app servers.

• High memory-to-CPU: Good for relational databases, medium- to large-size cache, in-memory analytics.

• High disk throughput and IO: Good for big data, SQL and NoSQL databases.

Thanked by 2kkrajk uptime
  • @Clouvider said:
    ?

I mean 12Gb ram x20= 240 Ssd is a good relación between RAM and Ssd?

• Unlimited is best. Go for a provider selling unlimited hosting.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

That question can only be answer that it is relative your specific usage/needs.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2019

All advice given so far is BS. The only true and correct answer is 12.57 (Pi times 4).

So, if you have 2 GB RAM you must use a 25.4 GB SSD. And do NOT just use a 25 GB SSD! You must use a 25.4 GB SSD. You can however partition a larger SSD to 25.4 GB.

Note that the only true and correct relación does not allow any deviations of more than 25.4 KB, so be sure to not confuse GB and GiB! Any larger deviation will shift the quantum flux which will lead to Barbie saying "No!" to Ken as well as to some potentially existing cats in closed cartons.

And don't be fooled by people telling you BS about the answer depending to your use case!

Edit: Warning: there are certain dark forces out there who intentionally mislead people by telling them a wrong relación (7.7 times Phi). Do not listen to these evil people! Following their advice will lead to harmful radiation leaking from hyper-space.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @jsg said:
    All advice given so far is BS. The only true and correct answer is 12.57 (Pi times 4).

So, if you have 2 GB RAM you must use a 25.4 GB SSD. And do NOT just use a 25 GB SSD! You must use a 25.4 GB SSD. You can however partition a larger SSD to 25.4 GB.

Note that the only true and correct relación does not allow any deviations of more than 25.4 KB, so be sure to not confuse GB and GiB! Any larger deviation will shift the quantum flux.

This is the best answer ! Minus the Pi rounding errors... Be sure to include at least 10 decimal for a production server

@angelius said:
    This is the best answer ! Minus the Pi rounding errors... Be sure to include at least 10 decimal for a production server

No. That is not the "best answer". It is the only true and correct answer, but you are right that Pi must be rounded properly. I personally prefer to write 3.15 and to then laser trim it down to the correct value. Unless Barbie says "No", of course.

• @jsg said:

@angelius said:

No. That is not the "best answer". It is the only true and correct answer, but you are right that Pi must be rounded properly. I personally prefer to write 3.15 and to then laser trim it down to the correct value. Unless Barbie says "No", of course.

This is not true. I have been using a server with 32GB of DDR4 ECC 3200MHz ram and my SSD is a 4GB microSD card. Performance is great, specially when paired together with a AMD EPYC 7601 processor.

Give it a try.

If you have any issues, try upgrading to a 64k modem. Might solve most of your issues.

• Exact Answer = Depends

• @Chievo said:
    RAM 1 - 20GB Ssd/Nvme

If you have to ask then maybe dedicated server is not for you. Size server based on your use case, not the other way around.

• @hypsin said:

@Chievo said:
    RAM 1 - 20GB Ssd/Nvme

If you have to ask then maybe dedicated server is not for you. Size server based on your use case, not the other way around.

Yes you may be right . Right now i am on a VPS where the relation is 1 ram to 20 gb . So i wish to learn things . I am a completelly noob on the dedicated servers; but i must start from something so just asking is another way to learn

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

40/40/20, best ratio, do recommend 10/10.
    Seriously, it depends on your APPLICATION.

edited November 2019

@Chievo said:

@hypsin said:

@Chievo said:
    RAM 1 - 20GB Ssd/Nvme

Yes you may be right . Right now i am on a VPS where the relation is 1 ram to 20 gb . So i wish to learn things . I am a completelly noob on the dedicated servers; but i must start from something so just asking is another way to learn

There is no "good" ratio at all. You look for enough disk space for your needs and the same for memory.

As a very rough rule of thumb as a newbie you don't want less than 1 GB memory and not less than 20 GB of disk and almost certainly no more than 4 GB memory and 50 GB of disk.
    Once you have gained some experience you can go quite a bit lower.

Another tip is to not start learning on a VPS. Rather get yourself a cheap thinclient like for example a HP T610 (typically sold on ebay for less than 50$), add in a cheap SSD (a small 40 GB SSD will do fine), and put the linux distro you prefer to use on your VPS on it. From then on you just treat it as if it was a remote VPS - but can be right in front of you and allows you do experiment and, that's important, to clean up if you f_ck up something.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • If it has exactly 19 electrons and 19 protons then you're working with potassium. The RAM to disk ratio depends on your usage.