Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apnscp 3.1 released! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

apnscp 3.1 released!

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2019

doughnet said: what apnscp is

A modern approach to a VPS control panel that hopes to consume your RAM and storage, to the maximum extent. Especially produced for Windows die-hards.
    /sarcasm

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

@doughnet said:
    FYI it would be good to have details about what apnscp is ... still couldn’t figure it out from your web site.

Smarter hosting ;)

@bountysite said:
    Saw demo of apnscp. Nice work really!
    After likes of cpanel, plesk it is apnscp.

Keep it up guys! @nem

Check out the performance numbers below!

@AlwaysSkint said:

doughnet said: what apnscp is

A modern approach to a VPS control panel that hopes to consume your RAM and storage, to the maximum extent. Especially produced for Windows die-hards.
    /sarcasm

Now I'm curious. Spun up a Plesk, cPanel and APNSCP install on DigitalOcean's Marketplace using default settings...

Machine IPs: 64.225.38.212, 64.225.38.207, 64.225.38.224, all deployed in SFO2. 2 GB RAM, 50 GB storage standard Droplet.

Baseline w/ 1 site:
    APNSCP: 806 MB free. If we enable low memory, which will introduce a slight delay in processing panel jobs as well as disable SNI for Dovecot/Postfix, memory increases by 99 MB to 905 MB free.
    cPanel: 1025 MB free.
    Plesk: 819 MB free... then it slowly began gobbling memory - 763 MB

cPanel is the clear winner here helping you save a whopping stick of RAM in 1996 terms.

Let's talk WordPress performance, where the real concerns come into play.

ab -n 1000 -c 1 http://test-domain.com/, we're taxing the CPU without much consideration for SSL overhead.

APNSCP: 36.90 requests per second (0 failures), 27.10 ms per req
    cPanel: 2.95 requests per second (0 failures), 339.26 ms per req (default settings)
    cPanel w/ OPcache + PHP-FPM: 28.27 requests per second (0 failures), 35.37 ms per req
    Plesk: 13.57 requests per second (0 failures), 73.71 ms per req (yes OPcache is enabled)

APNSCP trades memory for performance. If your CPU is pegged there's little that you can throw its way to ameliorate the situation. If you're constrained by memory, just resize the VM. If 256 MB is impossible to append onto your machine, I'd recommend stepping back in the Tardis and returning to the present.

Latent CPU consumption is another interesting aspect to consider. I'll need more time to compile statistics on it. Whatever Plesk is doing, it's like a kid that can't leave the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral. Run-queue periodically spikes for sustained intervals.

There you have it, the fastest gun in the west. :blush:

• @nem does apiscp have whitelabeling features? I really think apiscp is much better name than apnscp. Latter is a tongue twister hahaha

• wow, not available now :p

@timelapse said:
    @nem does apiscp have whitelabeling features? I really think apiscp is much better name than apnscp. Latter is a tongue twister hahaha

Yup, cpcmd scope:set cp.config core panel_brand "NEMPANEL" if you so desire to pay homage to yours truly :kissing_heart:.

APNSCP/ApisCP will go by whatever you want it to call itself. I'll use both terms interchangeably for the time being to gauge sentiment. Likely will be changing over to ApisCP in the near future because that's a sentiment I'm hearing far too often :)

Default theme and everything else may be overrode too. Sass SDK is available to help you along. Launchpad through Hostineer for example is my whitelabel variation of the panel. Obsidian, part of the ApisCP distribution, is the theme designed specifically for it.

@dedicados said:
    wow, not available now :p

30 day trials are available and monthly licenses arrive December 15. Free licenses were available for ~10 months, so plenty of opportunity to take advantage ;).

• welp. couldn't fine license.pem anywhere on my disk or copied to keepass.
    This is unlike me. Oh well.

• @vimalware said:
    welp. couldn't fine license.pem anywhere on my disk or copied to keepass.

@nem isnt the promo key the same for all? Is it like shareware? Can it be shared? But I guess it has activation limit?

But isnt it a key pair? Does it mean, it should only be reinstalled on the same machine? What about on another/new vps? Thanks!

@vimalware said:
    welp. couldn't fine license.pem anywhere on my disk or copied to keepass.

Contact [email protected] (or [email protected]) with your my.apnscp.com login and I'll pull up the license purchase for you, then reissue a new license from what's listed.

@timelapse said:
    But isnt it a key pair? Does it mean, it should only be reinstalled on the same machine? What about on another/new vps? Thanks!

It is an X.509, but the these licenses do not encode any specific information about the machine other than the feature set and issuer serial. That issuer serial is tied to the redemption code, which is tied to the my.apnscp.com login for easy renewal/reissuance. Anonymous lifetimes don't contain that critical serial <-> user link, so they're impossible to reissue.

NOC licenses will check gateway and won't work without being on a specific network. These licenses issued up until the stock was depleted, however, are free to use without restriction and perpetually carryover.

• @nem
    I have installed your panel and the LE ssl certificate fails to install. Is there a log to have a clue what is not working? no cp dns configured, i assume this is optional. fqdn is configured and both www and non www specified before "generate and install" button. both domain variants point to this server. the browser is shortly afterwards stuck with blank screen, no screen output.

@Silverd said:
    @nem
    I have installed your panel and the LE ssl certificate fails to install. Is there a log to have a clue what is not working? no cp dns configured, i assume this is optional. fqdn is configured and both www and non www specified before "generate and install" button. both domain variants point to this server. the browser is shortly afterwards stuck with blank screen, no screen output.

Did you request a wildcard certificate in the process? Domain-validation should work just fine. Check /usr/local/apnscp/storage/logs/error_log, most likely a fatal error triggered.

cpcmd scope:set cp.debug true will enable panel debugging, cpcmd scope:set cp.config letsencrypt debug true will enable staging in Let's Encrypt during the request process. Troubleshooting section in SSL.md has more information on it as well.

If that doesn't address it, hop on Discord for troubleshooting; should be able to knock it out in 10 minutes.

• @nem said:
    Another 50 lifetime redemption codes have been added. Enjoy!

key invalid or redeemed,
    could you add another one? :smiley:

@masedi said:

@nem said:

key invalid or redeemed,

That stock has been depleted. More freebies will be available when v3.2 is released in late 2020. Until then consider spinning up a trial, which is good for 30 days. Monthly licenses arrive on December 15 and best of all, you're supporting development!

• @nem said:

@masedi said:

@nem said:

key invalid or redeemed,

That stock has been depleted. More freebies will be available when v3.2 is released in late 2020. Until then consider spinning up a trial, which is good for 30 days. Monthly licenses arrive on December 15 and best of all, you're supporting development!

@nem is there an import tool for cPanel or DA full backups? Is it done manually? Is there a guide? How about for Wordpress or other scripts installed via Softaculous?

I think more people would take interest if there is billing integration and reseller support.

Thanks!

edited December 2019

@timelapse said:
    @nem is there an import tool for cPanel or DA full backups? Is it done manually? Is there a guide? How about for Wordpress or other scripts installed via Softaculous?

I think more people would take interest if there is billing integration and reseller support.

Thanks!

Yup, see Migrations.md. cPanel import facility works flawlessly for all that is supported; even knows how to relink symlink'd docroots. I have a Plesk and DA backup from users. Plesk will be commenced later this month, DA in Q1.

After a site is imported, a detection routine kicks off to look for all eligible web apps in all web-accessible locations. Anything the panel supports, it'll enroll and optionally apply Fortification (--apply-fortification=MODE) as well as update to ensure it's on the latest version. Same goes for bootstrapping all hostnames with SSL.

WHMCS billing support is already here. Blesta is being worked on by their team.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • Yay. I got a low memory install to work (disabled passenger install checkbox just to be safe).
    Bootstrap took just a tad over an hour on vultr high-cpu 1core 1Gb ram (512mb swap helped)

Backed up this sandbox's license. 🤞

Let's see what happens when I give it a cozy 4GB and 4 vCPU on proxmox. Build times should scale by about 3x hopefully.

I'll see what the Django deploy workflow looks like.

@vimalware said:
    Yay. I got a low memory install to work (disabled passenger install checkbox just to be safe).
    Bootstrap took just a tad over an hour on vultr high-cpu 1core 1Gb ram (512mb swap helped)

I'll see what the Django deploy workflow looks like.

Django works best with Passenger, but you can use a proxy rewrite to pass it through as a reverse proxy. cpcmd scope:set cp.bootstrapper anyversion_python true && upcp -sb software/pyenv will enable any-version Python without enabling Passenger. From there use pyenv to configure Python for the site.

I'm a fan of Vultr across the board. I use them exclusively to build out tests. An install completes in ~45 minutes on a 2 GB high frequency node. Backend blazes at ~10k req/sec. It's not uncommon to see 3k requests/sec on comparably spec'd bargain brands.

In other news, v3.1.15 adds initial support for Web App snapshots backed by git. Snapshots provide a convenient secondary layer of integrity in addition to server backups. Next release will add periodic snapshots/rollbacks; visual differencing will be implemented in a later release. Snapshots back up your Web App database as well.

Enable snapshots

• Ooh, this is cool. Can you do two-way site mirroring with this?

@shillshocked said:
    Ooh, this is cool. Can you do two-way site mirroring with this?

Ultimately that’s the goal. There’s another requisite milestone ("reconfiguration") that’ll allow updating DB credentials, protocol, and install base. Couple that with multi-user pools and it becomes quite trivial to split roles between dev and production, bestowing unrestricted access to dev and limited write to production.

• nem said: In other news, v3.1.15 adds initial support for Web App snapshots backed by git. Snapshots provide a convenient secondary layer of integrity in addition to server backups. Next release will add periodic snapshots/rollbacks; visual differencing will be implemented in a later release. Snapshots back up your Web App database as well.

I suppose this is only a database backup? Are there plans to backup entire web apps as well? For example, backing up the entire wordpress folder.

• Look like a copy of bt.cn or aaPanel

@smallbibi said:

nem said: In other news, v3.1.15 adds initial support for Web App snapshots backed by git. Snapshots provide a convenient secondary layer of integrity in addition to server backups. Next release will add periodic snapshots/rollbacks; visual differencing will be implemented in a later release. Snapshots back up your Web App database as well.

I suppose this is only a database backup? Are there plans to backup entire web apps as well? For example, backing up the entire wordpress folder.

It backs up everything.

@verjin said:
    Look like a copy of bt.cn or aaPanel

APNSCP began in 2002. It predates even DirectAdmin.

Licenses are now available via my.apnscp.com.

Monthly licenses are on sale for $10/license per month using the discount code EARLYBIRD. This discount is valid in perpetuity. Offer expires 12/31.

DNS-only licenses are also available through the portal, but carry the restriction these licenses may not possess any domains on the server. Great for DNS clustering with PowerDNS or running a Bacula director for backups. Enjoy!

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited December 2019

nem said: these licenses may not possess any domains on the server

I totally possessed your domain! :p

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@nem,

Any plan to include reseller hosting?

• oops looks like the lifetime redemption are all gone :(

@MechanicWeb said:
    @nem,

Any plan to include reseller hosting?

Hooks are present in the platform to achieve that target, but reselling is the domain of the billing software. I've talked with Troy, the author of the WHMCS plugin, and it's something that can be brought up with Blesta as well. Accounts may be tagged by a billing identifier called the "billing invoice" (bad nomenclature I know... billing was created its halcyon days) with a one to many relationship in the billing invoice.

domain1.com => billing,invoice=apns-123
    domain2.com => billing,parent_invoice=apns-123
    domain3.com => billing,parent_invoice=apns-123

Targeting a bulk edit, suspension, activation, transfer or deletion by "apns-123" selects all related domains. Likewise domain1.com can SSO into domain2.com and domain3.com through its invoice linkage. I've updated docs on custom billing integrations in the panel, which should provide a good starting point for others.

Blesta module will be available in v4.8.0. From its documentation, is there anything else I should pass off to the team for consideration?

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

nem said: I've updated docs on custom billing integrations in the panel, which should provide a good starting point for others.

I was not referring to hooks. I was referring to a proper reseller module in the control panel like other panels have.

Do you have any plans to develop that?

@MechanicWeb said:
    nem said: I've updated docs on custom billing integrations in the panel, which should provide a good starting point for others.

I was not referring to hooks. I was referring to a proper reseller module in the control panel like other panels have.

Do you have any plans to develop that?

There are no immediate plans for me to do so. Reselling is an extension of billing, which I’d like to keep lean until more integrations roll in.

v3.1.20 has been released, which gives an early look at DAPHNIE, the Distributed Analytics and Predictive Hot Naive Isostatic Economizer. Simply stated, it looks at metrics across all sites - whole system too - then runs some rudimentary equations to see what can be adjusted to maximize performance. Presently it's aggregating metrics if enabled; calculations will arrive beginning of next year.

To enable on your server, cpcmd scope:set cp.config telemetry enabled 1. It'll collect memory, site usage, and HTTP throughput with future expansion to per-site PHP-FPM and MySQL/PostgreSQL throughput.

Additionally, panel updates can be adjusted to a systemd calendar using cpcmd scope:set cp.update-schedule SYSTEMD-CALENDAR-POLICY. Default setting is "system", which rolls it into anacron.

Stay tuned for another important update after Christmas. :grin:

Thanked by 2A_m_i_t NanoG6
  • I don't know what that is but sounds awesome. Keep up the good work @nem!