Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DRACULA OF STORAGE KVM -1tb hdd - for 1.388 eur/mo Located in Romania. - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DRACULA OF STORAGE KVM -1tb hdd - for 1.388 eur/mo Located in Romania.

Comments

• @poisson said:

@sjkme said:
    May wanna contact the abusers before suspending them, and how are they abusing their box anyways ?

I have been monitoring my boxes daily and I can confirm the abusers are active. They are hammering the disks, which performed very well earlier (the usual suspect is torrenting). I have no issues with torrenting as long as one keeps the number of jobs and peers really low.

yep definitely noticed the huge dip in disk io performance, i put up a few ubuntu iso's to seed and throttled the upload. downloading above 70mbits the disk activity kept going into the red, reducing it to about 30-50mbits brought the sda activity down to %10-40.

Thanked by 2poisson maverickp
  • @sjkme said:
    yep definitely noticed the huge dip in disk io performance, i put up a few ubuntu iso's to seed and throttled the upload. downloading above 70mbits the disk activity kept going into the red, reducing it to about 30-50mbits brought the sda activity down to %10-40.

Thanks for being considerate.

• sjkmesjkme Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson said:

@sjkme said:

Thanks for being considerate.

np @poisson, the networks been great though, getting stable upload/download speeds so far.

• np @poisson, the networks been great though, getting stable upload/download speeds so far.

What are the average speeds like?

• @dosai said:

np @poisson, the networks been great though, getting stable upload/download speeds so far.

What are the average speeds like?

around 100mb up/down

• gogogogo Member
    edited November 2019

I have been paying attention to this post, and I also purchased a vps. After two days of pending, it finally came online.
    Now I have a problem. It seems that the server has only one hard disk. If the system is reinstalled, the data will be lost. Can I re-partition?
    Thaks!

@poisson @cociu

• Here is the fdisk partition dump from mine:

Device      Start        End    Sectors    Size Type
    /dev/sda1  262144 2147483614 2147221471 1023.9G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda14   2048       8191       6144      3M BIOS boot
    /dev/sda15   8192     262143     253952    124M EFI System

Repartioning should work in principle but it's not obvious to me how to do it without a "remote" mount of some sort. Maybe there is some minimal image you can install in the EFI partition and boot from it?

• @gogo said:
    I have been paying attention to this post, and I also purchased a vps. After two days of pending, it finally came online.
    Now I have a problem. It seems that the server has only one hard disk. If the system is reinstalled, the data will be lost. Can I re-partition?
    Thaks!

@poisson @cociu

i seriously doubt it

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

At your own risk ...might consider using pivot_root to run from a ramdisk filesystem (after installing minimal system in ram) - you will be working "without a net" when rebooting - ie if bootloader gets confused by new partition table, or anything else wrong with your new installation, etc etc etc. (See takeover.sh for a rough idea how this might work)

to be clear - I don't think this is a good idea.

if you don't know what you are doing ... will almost certainly end in tears. And please do expect to be righteously ridiculed if you come back crying about how your tickets are being ignored and your sister will not talk to you ever again.

and if you do know what you are doing - well then you probably should know better anyway!

Lulz ....

• @uptime said:
    At your own risk ...might consider using pivot_root to run from a ramdisk filesystem (after installing minimal system in ram) - you will be working "without a net" when rebooting - ie if bootloader gets confused by new partition table, or anything else wrong with your new installation, etc etc etc. (See takeover.sh for a rough idea how this might work)

to be clear - I don't think this is a good idea.

if you don't know what you are doing ... will almost certainly end in tears. And please domexpect to be righteously ridiculed if you come crying. about how your tickets are being ignored and your sister will not talk to you ever again.

and if you do know what you are doing - well then you probably should know better anyway!

Lulz ....

interesting idea though..

• Is there a worst case beyond you clobber all your data and have to reinstall from the client area? That doesn't sound so bad, especially since it sounds like the main data isn't there yet anyway.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@willie said:
    worst case

I hesitate to speculate ... but can certainly imagine reinstall getting borked (for whatever reason - as has already happened with module snafus) - and in the confusion, support is (rightfully) deprioritized - possibly also excessive reinstalls would be considered to be abuse of system resources ... so wouldn't expect refund if it came to that.

EDIT2:

tl;dr: better to practice and get the process dialed in and debugged on a local vm (etc) before trying your luck (and @cociu's patience) in the parfumerie fermei setup

• I didn't realize reinstalls caused any issues at the host end, other than being disk intensive for a few minutes, just like a normal user workload at its busier moments. I like to hope the module stuff is or will be sorted. I did one reinstall so far and it went fine.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
  • @willie - agreed ... but you know Murphy's law

• Finally some deviation from the posts where folks were creaming for Dracula's blood.

• uptime said: and your sister will not talk to you ever again.

love you

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • Is anyone else's VM stuck on "The process of VM creation is in progress. Please try again later." Received a notice that it's provisioned, however had this error message on logging into the client portal on WHMCS. No access to any VNC nor re-installation can be seen from the server's page.

(Have sent a ticket, awaiting reply and update.)

• hail to the new module that makes things great again!

Thanked by 2uptime ehab
  • one man company ? or his sister help to clear the endless tickets ?

• Andy10tbit said: one man company ?

one one and this one have 2 sisters to fu..

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Today a little drama , we will reboot our Main router core so downtime 15 min is espected

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • just saw a thread on reddit/r/seedboxes about this offer, unfortunately looks like there might be quite a few seedboxes running on these nodes

• @cociu said:

Andy10tbit said: one man company ?

I don't understand your English , what is "one one ? to fu ?"

• Scott15Scott15 Member
    edited November 2019

@Andy10tbit said:

@cociu said:

Leave @cociu alone, We all understand him fine. It must be you.

Thanked by 1donko
  • @Scott15 said:

@Andy10tbit said:

@cociu said:

Leave @cociu alone, We all understand him fine must be you.

yep

• @sjkme said:
    just saw a thread on reddit/r/seedboxes about this offer, unfortunately looks like there might be quite a few seedboxes running on these nodes

Oh dear.. if those boxes are not properly configured and hammering disk I/O, out they go.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@cociu said:
    Today a little drama , we will reboot our Main router core so downtime 15 min is espected

Can you tell us what you use as main router?

• This is why I prefer to hang on to my lxc boxes.
    Abusers can be policed much more easily and I get my guaranteed 400mbit download.

• @willie said:

Repartioning should work in principle but it's not obvious to me how to do it without a "remote" mount of some sort. Maybe there is some minimal image you can install in the EFI partition and boot from it?

Have you bought this 1T VPS? I am unskilled with linux.
    I mean: for three years, if there is something wrong with my system someday, I need to reinstall the system. Then I have the data on the server, will it be lost?
    If I want to not lose data, what do I need to do, repartition, and mount? God, I don't understand.

If anyone can answer my question, thank you very much, thanks god.

• Andy10tbit said: I don't understand your English , what is "one one ? to fu ?"

just joined and you find cociu ... i know you just join to give me some english clases but i know one frase withowt faill " do you have a sister ?"

This discussion has been closed.