Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Solus.io - Alpha Testing
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Solus.io - Alpha Testing

HostMediaHostMedia Member, Provider

Solus.io has released an email update:

We're in the process of launching our first alpha and want to give a few selected service providers and companies a sneak peek.
solus.io is a virtual infrastructure management solution that facilitates choice, simplicity, and performance for ISPs and enterprises. Offer blazing fast, on-demand VMs, a simple and modern REST API, and an easy-to-use self-service control panel for your customers to unleash your full potential for growth.

It took them some time to get to Alpha - hopefully, they will actually release it!

Thanked by 1hanoi

Comments

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Provider
    edited October 2019

Yeah got that e-mail this morning. I opted-in the second I got it.

I'm definitely looking forward to testing this out.

Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally! LMFAO. Only took like 7 years.

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || SSD VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG ||1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• HOOOOOOOOOLLLLY SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTT

I live in harmony with people. They hate me and I hate them.
    AlphaSucks | Proxmox on Kimsufi | Hiding Proxmox behind NGINX | Securing SSH

• i only want to read about your BF offers

silence

:)

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
    • do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year 🍆

@ehab said:

i only want to read about your BF offers

silence

:)

Haha, soon my friend. Very soon.

Thanked by 3ehab thedp poisson

SSD Shared Hosting || SSD VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG ||1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• That's against the law of physics, you need a external force.

Thanked by 1alilet
    • do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year 🍆
  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider
    edited October 2019

SpryServers_Tab said: Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally!

not yet, too soon to be true! :smile: based on screenshot control panel look like latest version of Plesk.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • thanks, i haven't known that SolusVM was acquired by Plesk
    I hereby allow solus.io (Plesk International GmbH) to process my submitted personal data solely for the purpose of providing me with newsletters for the duration of my newsletter subscription.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited October 2019

Good to know I am not getting a sneak peak despite signing up months ago.

Thanked by 1raindog308

ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen & Intel E NVMe VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA, CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU, RU

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member, Provider

Just leaving this here - either increased or per vm pricing.

AlphaVPS - OpenVZ and KVM, DDoS Protected VPS in London, UK | Sofia, BG | Nuremberg, DE | NYC, US and LA, US. Cheap Dedicated servers with fast delivery!

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

@AlexBarakov said:
    Just leaving this here - either increased or per vm pricing.

Per VM price structure I hope as current one, but it’s the same company as cPanel so everyone need to expect that price will x2 to x100

Thanked by 1Shazan
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • Per VM billing incoming

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Provider

Really hope per VM pricing doesn't come into effect - licensing of an entire node is much easier!

Now that people have signed up to the Alpha I wonder when we will actually see companies using it!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

I'm expecting per core. Probably $5/m to $7/m per core.

Francisco

BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Provider

@Francisco said:

Francisco

stop giving them ideas!

owned-networks | kvm & openvz 7| DAL - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON
    english, french & spanish support

• SmartHostSmartHost Member, Provider

@Francisco said:

That would make us jump ship for sure. That would be a worse increase than the CPanel fiasco. I can't see them loosing low end clients (unlimited resellers) just to pick up the loss on increased revenue with that like CPanel did, and it would probably grind new sales/nodes to halt. CPanel has enterprise level clients willing to pay such prices, SolusVM I would think probably does not...it's mostly a product for the hosting industry.

This is not similar to CPanel's price increase, where there is not comparable products to use or would severely affect client services if you switched. There are options.

It's also a heck of alot easier to develop a VPS control panel replacement for Solus, than it is a competitor to CPanel.

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

Definitely, please don't give them ideas! Can you imagine per core, with the servers we buy in now it would become pretty expensive just to run one server, the only option would be to buy servers with fewer cores but higher processing speeds

• jackbjackb Member, Provider
    edited October 2019

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Queue people masking /proc/cpuinfo to return one, probably.

We'd certainly jump ship if it went anywhere near that direction. We're already at the point where it almost makes sense to invest in rolling our own, any significant price increase will make that a certainty.

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

• Whatever they do, there will definitely be something we do not like. Better to look for an alternative now, where there is still enough time for testing. They may also force migration from SolusVM v1 to v2.

Francisco said: I'm expecting per core. Probably $5/m to $7/m per core.

Or per core + per VM, or even revenue share. After the cPanel fiasco everything is possible.

edited October 2019

ndelaespada said: stop giving them ideas!

SmartHost said: That would make us jump ship for sure.

HostMedia said: Definitely, please don't give them ideas!

Someone from the LET Discord went to the webpros conference (the one that Oakley was running) and the discussion was that:

• Prices are 100% going up for v2.
    • No mention of price changes for v1.
    • "Per VM" pricing is unlikely but who knows what top management decides.
    • They seem to be favoring a per core cost like OnApp.
    • Per-core pricing will be less than OnApp but still higher than current $10.00/month pricing.
    • v1 & v2 will exist at the same time until v2 is feature parity to v1 (OpenVZ looks to be the main blocker).
    • Even once parity is met there will be a grace period before forced move to v2.

With all of that, we can assume a $5/month - $7.00/month per physical core.

At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

It's also possible they do a minimum base cost + per VM cost. Say $10.00/month/node and then $0.50/VM/month.

Francisco

Thanked by 2ITLabs DataWagon
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address

@Francisco said:

With all of that, we can assume a $5/month - $7.00/month per physical core.

At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

If that ends up being the case, then the cost differential will be massive, to the point it will kill the product. SolusVM is not CPanel, end-users do not care if you switch from it, and there are multiple options (Oakley won't acquire them all).

I know at that price, the increase would be so much, that it would cover the costs of just hiring our own programmer (US), or several offshore. Heck, I'd pull out the old vePortal code, and just get that refreshed, before I paid those prices.

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
    https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider
    edited October 2019

I think its important not to think of solus.io as a replacement for v1.

Obviously it will need to have a significantly different feature set WELL above and beyond v1 (as lets be honest virtualizor surpassed v1 in terms of features 5 years ago now) to have any appeal to this customer base.

I don't expect v1 will be scrapped at xx-xx-20xx just because solus.io is available, I suspect solus.io will be a "run your own DO/Vultr" type of product which obviously adds oppertunity for more revenue for customers so may be worth paying the extra for.

I think many of us are in that no mans land between V1 and OnApp, given that onApp ruined the trust of the entire community over and over again its really like being stuck between V1 and nothing.

We want to provide more, we dont want to turn in to software development companies but have no one to turn to and pay money too in order to do that.

If it has no automated and or fully supported v1 migration path at launch though... boy oh boy did someone drop a ball.

Thanked by 1MikeA

@AnthonySmith Couldn't have said it better but in regards to Virtualizor the big issue for us was the UI and the support. Where SolusVM has actually become pretty quick to support questions and the UI is easy to follow for the end users. I hope they bring that in solus.io and a lot of features to meet both Virtualizor & OnApp.

Automatic migration from v1 to solus.io (I don't like calling it v2 as that project died so sticking with the name 'solus.io' as a product) is a must and what would be perfect is to be able to install the solus.io slave installer to a server with v1 already installed so both SolusVM & solus.io can run while it moves everything over - maybe that is too much to ask for :neutral:

• @Francisco that Stallion looking smoking hot and sexy right now. Greatest business decision you made. I feel bad for the other providers that are at the mercy of solus.

• Hopefully they dont increase it too much. People may consider moving to Fleio like RamNode did

"They said it's RAID 5" - geekypixal

Do wonder how many people will start to look at developing their own platforms - is there any open source basic systems out there that people could fork from and develop? Would be interesting to see where this goes!

Still awaiting my alpha acceptance email :wink:

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited October 2019

HostMedia said: is there any open source basic systems out there that people could fork from and develop?

OpenNebula I guess. It works pretty well, but requires a decent amount of knowledge.

Thanked by 1HostMedia

Hxxx said: @Francisco that Stallion looking smoking hot and sexy right now.

I mean, that's just normal.

Francisco

Thanked by 2rajprakash Hxxx
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Provider

solus is not cpanel , there are lots of alternatives

HostDare - One of the cheapest and coolest providers online! :) | Our premium unmanaged vps plans | Cheap Shared Hosting

• hostdare said: solus is not cpanel , there are lots of alternatives

cpanel is not solus , there are lots of alternatives

• VirMachVirMach Member, Provider, Top Provider

SpryServers_Tab said: Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally! LMFAO. Only took like 7 years.

They seem to stress it's not SolusVM V2, because that way their parent company can still increase prices since I believe they did say they wouldn't raise prices in the past and even seemed to have agreements with some providers not to increase prices.

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Francisco said: They seem to be favoring a per core cost like OnApp.

I think this is probably the most accurate guess, but I did kind of get the vibe from some of what may have been said that they might consider per VM.

Francisco said: Per-core pricing will be less than OnApp

I don't think it will be much cheaper when you compare it to a custom/volume quote from OnApp. This is purely a hypothetical but I believe OnApp could in some cases end up only costing 3x more than SolusVM.

Francisco said: At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

Francisco said: It's also possible they do a minimum base cost + per VM cost. Say $10.00/month/node and then $0.50/VM/month.

Francisco said: I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

I mean if they're basing it on recent trends they will most likely have a base price to ensure it's a rip-off from the get-go. I'd say around $30 per month base price for 4 cores then $5 a month per core.

They might still have a "tiny" license similar to cPanel Solo.

SmartHost said: That would make us jump ship for sure. That would be a worse increase than the CPanel fiasco. I can't see them loosing low end clients (unlimited resellers)

Francisco said: v1 & v2 will exist at the same time until v2 is feature parity to v1 (OpenVZ looks to be the main blocker).
    Even once parity is met there will be a grace period before forced move to v2.

They're going to expect low end stays on SolusVM. They'll most likely continue doing what they have been doing and ensure SolusVM does not receive any meaningful feature updates so it doesn't compete with their actual product.

I don't think they're going to force anyone into V2 because even they know that's a fantasy.

SmartHost said: I know at that price, the increase would be so much, that it would cover the costs of just hiring our own programmer (US), or several offshore. Heck, I'd pull out the old vePortal code, and just get that refreshed, before I paid those prices.

We've considered that and it seems counter-productive. It's definitely possible to get somewhere alone, but I think the best thing that could be done is if some top providers pool resources together to make something decent.

AnthonySmith said: I think its important not to think of solus.io as a replacement for v1.

Obviously it will need to have a significantly different feature set WELL above and beyond v1 (as lets be honest virtualizor surpassed v1 in terms of features 5 years ago now) to have any appeal to this customer base.

I don't expect v1 will be scrapped at xx-xx-20xx just because solus.io is available, I suspect solus.io will be a "run your own DO/Vultr" type of product which obviously adds oppertunity for more revenue for customers so may be worth paying the extra for.

Basically this. Virtualizor, ehh.

VirMach said: We've considered that and it seems counter-productive. It's definitely possible to get somewhere alone, but I think the best thing that could be done is if some top providers pool resources together to make something decent.

I've always wanted to get down on a project like this. "Made by providers, for providers" type of thing. Kind of like what dedicated.com does with SynergyCP, except a team of hosts, as to have a larger and more robust development cycle.

Must be time for the annual lets develop our own control panel conversation then :) I have been an avid participant in it many years running, bit early this year but I will embrace it all the same :disappointed:

@AnthonySmith said:
    Must be time for the annual lets develop our own control panel conversation then :) I have been an avid participant in it many years running, bit early this year but I will embrace it all the same :disappointed:

hahah LETs do it. :lol:

MUST HAVE HOURLY BILLING!

@AnthonySmith said:
    MUST HAVE HOURLY BILLING!

Obviously! Shit, why not make it per minute billing?

VirMach said: They seem to stress it's not SolusVM V2, because that way their parent company can still increase prices since I believe they did say they wouldn't raise prices in the past and even seemed to have agreements with some providers not to increase prices.

On initial because solus.io isn't shipping with OVZ support.

Once OVZ support is added they intend to sunset v1 from what the Discord user mentioned.

That's why I think the price hike will be there, but not so bad that they murder the entire market.

Still, there's many hosts out there that a $10/month increase per node is going to put them in the red and force price increases.

Francisco

@Francisco said:
    Still, there's many hosts out there that a $10/month increase per node is going to put them in the red and force price increases.

$10 month increase per node would be more than reasonable, even though still a 100% increase, "if" they actually fixed some of the non-working functions (such as Central Backup) and gave some new features (easier way to do dual storage types for example).

Francisco said: On initial because solus.io isn't shipping with OVZ support.

Once OVZ support is added they intend to sunset v1 from what the Discord user mentioned.

I imagine they are waiting for OpenVZ 8, given the disaster that the virtuozzo 7 roll out has been I think that's probably a smart move.

AnthonySmith said: I imagine they are waiting for OpenVZ 8, given the disaster that the virtuozzo 7 roll out has been I think that's probably a smart move.

OVZ 8 is probably a year or more out.

SmartHost said: $10 month increase per node would be more than reasonable, even though still a 100% increase, "if" they actually fixed some of the non-working functions (such as Central Backup) and gave some new features (easier way to do dual storage types for example).

Do centralbackups even work? At one point after the hack they simply threw a exit() at the top and called it a day.

I don't think $10/m increase per node will be enough.

While someone brought up fleio, it's riding on top of a fairly large platform that is a beast to maintain. Many hosts on these forums are doomed outside of whatever tutorials/guides that SolusVM posts. Fleio isn't going to start giving free openstack management.

My recommendation? Put in a ticket with them and ask them what the current plan is. It'd do them and the community a lot of good to figure out what a reasonable middle ground is.

2020 will be the year of increases. You'll have hosts having to raise both cPanel and probably VPS costs.

Francisco

edited November 2019

Francisco said: OVZ 8 is probably a year or more out.

Yes but not to them, its all part of the same group, they devs even sit in the same physical office, a year out for public release but they can be working on it directly with the devs so they have day 1 integration at no extra effort.

And whats a year when its been the better part of 6 already :)

• Tr33nTr33n Member

New mail from solus.io: https://imgur.com/a/uajIn3X

I wonder what their time frames are... glad it seems to have past Alpha pretty quickly, also some more details on their website would be good to see soon!