Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FLASH SALE BLOWOUT - SMARTHOST - 8GB RAM, 40GB NVME SSD, 4 vCPU, 2TB BW - KVM VPS - Only $6.95/Month - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FLASH SALE BLOWOUT - SMARTHOST - 8GB RAM, 40GB NVME SSD, 4 vCPU, 2TB BW - KVM VPS - Only $6.95/Month

123457»

Comments

• @schilton said:
    i might need more cpu if so ,then
    8vcpu (50% each)

[...]

$7 month !? possible

do I understand correctly? You are requesting the equivalent of 4 dedicated threads and 4 GB ram for $7 per month?

I can't really imagine how that would be a realistic expectation (I'll admit that I have not done the math - though I'm inclined to suspect that neither have you.) :smiley:

Do LET us try to be more respectful of a good provider's fair prices. In return we might expect good service and long-term reliability.

@schilton - my commentary is meant to be educational, not intended to be a profoundly personal critique ....

• @schilton said:
    8vcpu (50% each)
    4gb ram,
    40gb nvme
    kvm,
    window 2019 OS
    $7 month !? possible

Are you selling? I'll buy 10 at a go

• @schilton said:
    8vcpu (50% each)
    4gb ram,
    40gb nvme
    kvm,
    window 2019 OS
    $7 month !? possible

Would you like medium or large fries with it?

• @uptime said:

@schilton said:
    8vcpu (50% each)

[...]

$7 month !? possible

do I understand correctly? You are requesting the equivalent of 4 dedicated threads and 4 GB ram for $7 per month?

I can't really imagine how that would be a realistic expectation (I'll admit that I have not done the math - though I'm inclined to suspect that neither have you.) :smiley:

Do LET us try to be more respectful of a good provider's fair prices. In return we might expect good service and long-term reliability.

@schilton - my commentary is meant to be educational, not intended to be a profoundly personal critique ....

There is a cultural reason why the average PRC customer (and I dare say many other Asian customers as well) often fall for low end scams. They think it is perfectly ok to keep pushing for lower and lower prices because that is perfectly normal to them. To them, if the provider is willing, then what's the problem? Their goal is to pay the absolute lowest price they can get away with and they will push to get there. Unfortunately, they do not stop to consider whether the provider can sustain the pricing, or whether the provider might be scamming them. I am just waiting to read more sob stories.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson - thanks for that perspective - I am of the opinion that bargain-hunting is a universal phenomenon not at all unique to PRC (though maybe amplified here due to language etc.)

Anyway I don't wish to be so sanctimonious - given that @schilton's request / negotiation starting point may be almost in range (let's say roughly within an order of magnitude) :)

Main point I'm tryjng to make is really just that cpu is precious (limited resource) - and usually shared between several users when the prices are this low. (I might think more like 5% rather than 50% when considering "fair share" deals.)

That said ... the multi-core cpu performance on the node I'm on in Los Angeles is great - I am just hoping that it will stay that way.

• @uptime believe me, I love a great deal too, but not to the extent where I know it is not sustainable because I will pay the price for eventually. My point was not about wanting to get good deals but being so single-minded about it to the point where it becomes counter-productive, which is what I repeatedly observe in many cases of PRC people being scammed by summer hosts.

• @uptime said:
    I am of the opinion that bargain-hunting is a universal phenomenon not at all unique to PRC (though maybe amplified here due to language etc.)

Bargain-hunting is more prominent for us Asians.

@poisson said:
    @uptime believe me, I love a great deal too, but not to the extent where I know it is not sustainable because I will pay the price for eventually. My point was not about wanting to get good deals but being so single-minded about it to the point where it becomes counter-productive, which is what I repeatedly observe in many cases of PRC people being scammed by summer hosts.

The issue here is, how will someone new know where the line is? They have never hosted their own servers. So they need to try and understand "if I pay $3, the vps is bad, if I pay $5 vps is good". So they will eventually get scammed and learn where the line lies.

Thanked by 2uptime vyas11
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@uptime said:
    That said ... the multi-core cpu performance on the node I'm on in Los Angeles is great - I am just hoping that it will stay that way.

It should...we're not really overloading these nodes, and we tend to balance/migrate heavy users across the nodes if it is an issue at any time.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @poisson said:
    @uptime believe me, I love a great deal too, but not to the extent where I know it is not sustainable because I will pay the price for eventually. My point was not about wanting to get good deals but being so single-minded about it to the point where it becomes counter-productive, which is what I repeatedly observe in many cases of PRC people being scammed by summer hosts.

Yeah, it's simplistic to think in terms of price + specs alone, though a consideration of price + specs is a reasonable starting point. One should also consider less quantifiable factors such as a provider's reputation and sustainability, which will generally mean higher (but often still good or even great) prices.

• edited December 2019

Very nice offers as usual. Do you forsee the 8 GB plan ever coming to the Wolverhampton, UK location?

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@YellowHummingbird said:
    Very nice offers as usual. Do you forsee the 8 GB plan ever coming to the Wolverhampton, UK location?

I do...but probably not until February.
    We'll be expanding this offer to a handful of locations I expect in early 2020.

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 1zxxx