Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FLASH SALE BLOWOUT - SMARTHOST - 8GB RAM, 40GB NVME SSD, 4 vCPU, 2TB BW - KVM VPS - Only $6.95/Month - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FLASH SALE BLOWOUT - SMARTHOST - 8GB RAM, 40GB NVME SSD, 4 vCPU, 2TB BW - KVM VPS - Only $6.95/Month

Comments

• Claudio,
    your ping results is fantastic. Wonder why smarthost gets 4ms and you get 1.6ms on average? Does that mean the network performance fluctuates?
    Thanks.

• reddevilreddevil Member
    edited November 2019

Are your ping to 170.75.200.14? or are you pinging 66.11.120.2 which is the same datacenter?

• ip listed on @SmartHost website for NJ is 66.11.120.2 https://www.smarthost.net/data-centers.php I believe that is what @claudio had also posted.

Maybe I am missing the intent behind your Q :-)

@claudio said:

or anyone who signed up for a server in NJ?
    Thanks

from my smarthost nj nvme vps:

--- 66.11.120.2 ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 10017ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.621/1.644/1.667/0.037 ms

• ok. The server 170.75.200.14 is my client's server which I can only connect to. So I cannot access that server to ping out to another server. Hence without looking glass I asked if someone could ping that server. Smarthost has done that which is 4ms. My current VPS has 2.3ms (from Manhattan) and looking for another server with similar ping time.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@reddevil said:
    My current VPS has 2.3ms (from Manhattan) and looking for another server with similar ping time.

I see
    Multiply that by 100 and thats my minimum for the NJ ip. Good for you and best wishes

• If I had 2-4ms ping, I wouldn't own anything other than a thin client terminal.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

Los Angeles CA has been restocked, for those folks waiting.

Thanked by 3sin dahartigan cazrz
  • Do you have any plans to open shop in Sydney? (Or any other Australian cities?)

Also, re: upgrading/downgrading. It loolks like the billing system can prorate an upgrade, but perhaps not a downgrade. Is that expected behavior?

• @dahartigan said:
    Do you have any plans to open shop in Sydney? (Or any other Australian cities?)

Also, re: upgrading/downgrading. It loolks like the billing system can prorate an upgrade, but perhaps not a downgrade. Is that expected behavior?

That was my experience with providers using whmcs (except for BuyVM)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SmartHost said:

Thanks for updating the Fedora ISO to 31 yesterday :)

• @SmartHost

KVM NVME SSD Budget VPS - FLASH SALE!

Can I choose Las Vegas NV ?

• @SmartHost said:
    Chicago IL is now available for this offer.

meow

• @agentmishra said:

@seriesn said:

@zirius said:
    @SmartHost Does the upgrade/downgrade happen automatically to the VPS?

As far as my knowledge goes, you can't downgrade storage on KVM virt.

there are ways and means for it

but of-course not easy

miss u babe

@Jones said:
    @SmartHost

KVM NVME SSD Budget VPS - FLASH SALE!

Can I choose Las Vegas NV ?

Las Vegas NV should be available sometime this week.

@sin said:

@SmartHost said:

Thanks for updating the Fedora ISO to 31 yesterday :)

You are quite welcome! ;-)

@dahartigan said:

Sydney is on our radar, but no definite date yet.
    Probably 2020 Q1.

Also, re: upgrading/downgrading. It looks like the billing system can prorate an upgrade, but perhaps not a downgrade. Is that expected behavior?

It should prorate to align upgrade to same renewal date as main service.
    We do not prorate cancellations or downgrades.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

Also, re: upgrading/downgrading. It looks like the billing system can prorate an upgrade, but perhaps not a downgrade. Is that expected behavior?

Thanks for clarifying that :-) I was curious how upgrading/downgrading CPU would work, accounting-wise. I suspect there will be periods (months) where I don't need 8 cores, for example, and I could add them for a month again if needed. I like that there's an easy to use upgrade/downgrade path.

And that's exciting news that Sydney's at least on your radar :-)

I've honestly been extremely impressed with this VPS - I can't express how many different servers I've tried that have some kind of negative aspect, but this LA node is absolutely perfect. I run a relatively small Plex server and literally every other host I've tried has had dropouts, haven't had a single hiccup yet (touch wood)

Score: 19/19

Thanked by 2poisson Trav
  • kennsannkennsann Member
    edited November 2019

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

Thanks for clarifying that :-) I was curious how upgrading/downgrading CPU would work, accounting-wise. I suspect there will be periods (months) where I don't need 8 cores, for example, and I could add them for a month again if needed. I like that there's an easy to use upgrade/downgrade path.

I've honestly been extremely impressed with this VPS - I can't express how many different servers I've tried that have some kind of negative aspect, but this LA node is absolutely perfect. I run a relatively small Plex server and literally every other host I've tried has had dropouts, haven't had a single hiccup yet (touch wood)

I am using them too for plex. Pretty good, since it was super cheap for 8vCPUs with this kind of geekbench

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2715 (GOOD)
    Multi Core : 13093

Pretty good connection to asia too, 200 ping but good throughput.

Glad I found them here on LET.

Only complaint is the bandwidth. Its a bit low and they count downloads as well, so it just got more limited.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • What is the best data center for high-speed access from all over the U.S.? Chicago/Dallas? Or maybe New Jersey?

• @kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

I am using them too for plex. Pretty good, since it was super cheap for 8vCPUs with this kind of geekbench

Only complaint is the bandwidth. Its a bit low and they count downloads as well, so it just got more limited.

How many users does your plex have? I use nowhere near 2TB/month on my small 5 user plex setup. I also only have a max of 1080, but most of my library is 720p mp4/aac to avoid transcodes.

You can also upgrade the bandwidth in the control panel too. I think the network is worth paying for, or at least having a (like you mentioned) relatively lower allowance.

• @dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

How many users does your plex have? I use nowhere near 2TB/month on my small 5 user plex setup. I also only have a max of 1080, but most of my library is 720p mp4/aac to avoid transcodes.

You can also upgrade the bandwidth in the control panel too. I think the network is worth paying for, or at least having a (like you mentioned) relatively lower allowance.

I think was because I had some setting on my plex to do some deep analysis of the media files. Used up 1TB in a day. Partly will retract my statement of the BW.

I just checked, based on watching habits of 3 of us using it, seems like it will may last the month taking to account the blunder with plex and initial setup. My library is mainly 720p with 2GB/hr size.

Still wish I could get more BW, so I can also just install sonarr and a downloader to automatically store to my gdrive and not have a separate feeder box. Just me tho.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase since I can transcode on the VPS without worry the CPU can't handle it.

• @kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

I think was because I had some setting on my plex to do some deep analysis of the media files. Used up 1TB in a day. Partly will retract my statement of the BW.

I just checked, based on watching habits of 3 of us using it, seems like it will may last the month taking to account the blunder with plex and initial setup. My library is mainly 720p with 2GB/hr size.

Still wish I could get more BW, so I can also just install sonarr and a downloader to automatically store to my gdrive and not have a separate feeder box. Just me tho.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase since I can transcode on the VPS without worry the CPU can't handle it.

That makes so much more sense now. Rule number 1 with google drive and plex - disable deep media analysis. Your bandwidth will thank you and so will your gdrive api quota :-)

You possibly overestimate how much bandwidth you need. Unless you plan to add multiple TB of media per month, in which case you're better off with a feeder.

The feeder box is pretty much a must if you use gdrive, in my opinion, because of dmca etc. But in saying that, a carefully set up environment would allow you to do that all on the one box to save costs.

• @dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

That makes so much more sense now. Rule number 1 with google drive and plex - disable deep media analysis. Your bandwidth will thank you and so will your gdrive api quota :-)

You possibly overestimate how much bandwidth you need. Unless you plan to add multiple TB of media per month, in which case you're better off with a feeder.

The feeder box is pretty much a must if you use gdrive, in my opinion, because of dmca etc. But in saying that, a carefully set up environment would allow you to do that all on the one box to save costs.

You would also want to disable thumbnail generation, as that also eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Anyway, my wishosting dotd VM used up 2TB of BW , but haven't even scanned half of the library :(

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@kennsann said:

@dahartigan said:

@SmartHost said:

@dahartigan said:

Probably 2020 Q1.

You would also want to disable thumbnail generation, as that also eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Anyway, my wishosting dotd VM used up 2TB of BW , but haven't even scanned half of the library :(

First scan fun time. That was the motivation that pushed me to put Plex in an LXC container under Proxmox. I just slide that from server to server as required, no mess and no scanning massive libraries over and over :-)

• i might need more cpu if so ,then
    8vcpu (50% each)
    4gb ram,
    40gb nvme
    kvm,
    window 2019 OS
    $7 month !? possible

• @schilton said:
    i might need more cpu if so ,then
    8vcpu (50% each)
    4gb ram,
    40gb nvme
    kvm,
    window 2019 OS
    $7 month !? possible

at this price, id love it toooooooooo

edited November 2019

We are not switching around resources on these at this time (ie...swapping more vCPUs for less RAM, etc...). The base plan is predefined, and designed specifically in such a manner to maximize our revenue per node...a necessity at such low pricing being offered.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • @SmartHost said:
    We are not switching around resources on these at this time (ie...swapping more vCPUs for less RAM, etc...). The base plan is predefined, and designed specifically in such a manner to maximize our revenue per node...a necessity at such low pricing being offered.

what about combining/merge..!! not even possible

• @schilton said:

@SmartHost said:

what about combining/merge..!! not even possible

Are you prepared to pay double the price?

• @schilton said:
    i might need more cpu if so ,then
    8vcpu (50% each)
    4gb ram,
    40gb nvme
    kvm,
    window 2019 OS
    $7 month !? possible

My advice is pay the $5 on top of the base plan to upgrade to 8 threads if that's what you need. Can't get too picky and choosy with special deals like these :)