Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Could anyone help with getting an IPv6 address configured on my hosthatch VPS?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Could anyone help with getting an IPv6 address configured on my hosthatch VPS?

I have a hosthatch vps and have requested IPv6. In the web interface for my VPS, I see an IPv6 Block and clicked the + so an IPv6 address is showing.

I've configured that address/mask and the default gateway on my CentOS 7 system, but whenever I try a ping6, I don't get any response, even from the default GW.

Comments

• dahartigandahartigan Member, Host Rep

Have you tried contacting HostHatch?

Thanked by 3ITLabs uptime ViridWeb

HostDoc representative | Purveyor of high quality potassium | "A KVM VPS with 64 IPs? Must be Evolution Host."

• deankdeank Member

Not sure it's been said before, but have you tried contacting HostHatch?

If you can't make your point within 5 lines of words, you have an optimization issue.
      Amitz day is October 17th.

• Have you ever tried to contact HostHatch?

• SmartHostSmartHost Member, Provider

HostHatch can probably assist with this.

SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Join our Resale Program
      https://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD KVM VPS - $2.95/month!

• If I was you I'd contact HostHatch.

lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

Haha, don’t bother to contact your provide as LET support is 100 times faster and you be able to write a negative feedback about your provider as they not be able to guess your issue on your VPS account. :smiley:

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
      Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
    • @skidmark - just for the lulz, let's check result of ip -6 route and compare notes.

What is the location of your HostHatch VPS?

• thedpthedp Member

Dump em all in /etc/network/interfaces :)

But yeah, you should reach out to support - even though they may take a day or two to reply ;)

Thanked by 1uptime

"Living da lowend vida loca." -- @uptime
      DomainPeon - Somewhat decent domain names for sale | LET members gets 10% off on Dynadot-pushed domains

• @uptime

[email protected]:~# ip -6 route
      fe80::/64 dev enp2s0f0 proto kernel metric 100 pref medium
      fe80::/64 dev wlp3s0 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
      default via fe80::/64 contact HostHatch
      [email protected]:~# 

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
    • thedp said: /etc/network/interfaces

except OP is dealing with centOS not Debian so I dunno ... might be something more to do with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 - possibly "properly" setup via nmcli (not sure, I don't mess with centOS very much)

more general point to be aware of is - I've noticed IPv6 setup can be a bit fiddly if expecting all the bits to fall into place from config when booting - so sometimes might have an 'ifup' clause that works better to set gateway in the /etc/network/interfaces (or whatever). And different providers have various IPv6 setups so it hasn't been obvious (to me at least) what the "canonical" universally correct way is.

what I often do when in doubt is install from a provider's template for debugging, then for future reference make note of the network configs once all that's working.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
    • Is this a machine with local networking? Perhaps you put it on the wrong interface?

Thanked by 1uptime
    • @skorous said:
      Is this a machine with local networking? Perhaps you put it on the wrong interface?

The VPS has eth0 and lo, I added the address on eth0. Not sure what local networking is.

• ifconfig shows the address correctly under eth0, but the default gw is not reachable with ping6. IPv4 is working properly. I purchased the VPS through a special offer, so I didn't think it came with support.

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
      edited October 21

Have you received your IPv6 subnet already? If you've got yours, I have added my subnet to my London location with this configuration in the /etc/networking/interfaces file:
      (Can't get formatting to work from mobile)

allow-hotplug ens3
      iface ens3 inet dhcp

iface ens3 inet6 static
      address 2a0e:****
      netmask 64

Note that I don't need a gateway for IPv6. Additionally, you might need to reboot.
      Hope this could help.

• @Skidmark said:
      ifconfig shows the address correctly under eth0, but the default gw is not reachable with ping6. IPv4 is working properly. I purchased the VPS through a special offer, so I didn't think it came with support.

They're not going to manage your server for you but they'll answer a question like this. Did you use a /64 for the subnet mask?

You could also try clicking the Reconfigure button at the bottom.

• Pilzbaum said: I have added my subnet to my London location with this configuration in the /etc/networking/interfaces file:

He's running CentOS. It's a different animal.

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

@Skidmark Have you completely power cycled (shutdown & power on) your VM after you have added the new IPv6 address in the control panel? With HostHatch IPs are only added to the firewall on the host node upon VM boot. If you miss that you won't have any IPv6 connectivity from your VPS.

Thanked by 1skorous

IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @dfroe said:
      @Skidmark Have you completely power cycled (shutdown & power on) your VM after you have added the new IPv6 address in the control panel? With HostHatch IPs are only added to the firewall on the host node upon VM boot. If you miss that you won't have any IPv6 connectivity from your VPS.

I just did (as well as clicked on the Reconfigure Networking button that took a while and resturned a something went wrong error) and now it's working! Thanks for all your help!

• JordJord Moderator, Provider

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but have you contacted hosthatch?

BaseServ Ltd - UK Shared DirectAdmin Hosting | Litespeed + Cloudlinux + Free Backups. BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001: 2013

• deankdeank Member

Don't think he ever did. After all, he had LET support crew.

If you can't make your point within 5 lines of words, you have an optimization issue.
      Amitz day is October 17th.

• Just wondering whether anyone has mentioned Hetzner yet

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)