Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm developing a free knowledgebase article pack for Blesta and possibly other alternatives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm developing a free knowledgebase article pack for Blesta and possibly other alternatives

MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
edited October 2019 in General

Hello, I bought the domain makemykb.com a few years ago with the intention of releasing a full hosting knowledgebase bundle for WHMCS hosting customers.

I got lazy, stalled the project, lost some of the stuff, started again many times. This time over, I've decided I want to instead release it for free, for Blesta right now. I have plenty of articles to work on and import, but I wanted to start a discussion as motiviation, and for any feedback.

Currently there are 14 Knowledgebase articles available in this very early version.

Domain Names
What is Domain DNS Propogation?

DirectAdmin
How To Change DirectAdmin Template
How to Change DirectAdmin User Password
How to Create a Database in DirectAdmin
How to View Login History in DirectAdmin
How to View Account Messages in DirectAdmin

cPanel/WHM
How To Change cPanel Language
How To Change cPanel Template
How to Change cPanel Password
How to Create a Subdomain in cPanel
How to Delete a Subdomain in cPanel

WordPress
How to Install a New Theme for WordPress
How to Remove a Theme from WordPress

PayPal
How to Cancel a Subscription via PayPal (Thank you @FAT32 )

I understand these are basic, but I've created these first to get an idea for the layout of the articles.

You can view the website and previews at https://www.makemykb.com/

As of this OP, the download is not available, but previews are available for your thoughts. This is a project I will be working on in my free time and don't expect anything too eye catching until Dec/Jan.

It's 3:26AM right now. I'm aware of some of the current issues, but I look forward to your comments.

Cheers!

Note: Not loading? DNS change, please wait. :)

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Most requested / important:

• How to cancel a service in WHMCS
    • How to cancel a Paypal Subscription
  • Those Alpha Master Ultimate Reseller hosting providers are gonna love this lol

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Congratulations @Mic-hael. Is the project open to external contributions (articles)?

Also, there's a small problem with the template (Mobile - Android + Chrome):

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @dedipromo said:
    Those Alpha Master Ultimate Reseller hosting providers are gonna love this lol

True that. But I do hope that I can upgrade the quality of these articles and therefore the providers that use them on full release. :)

@ITLabs said:
    Congratulations @Mic-hael. Is the project open to external contributions (articles)?

Also, there's a small problem with the template (Mobile - Android + Chrome):

Yes! I was going to offer it through a hosting brand, but I am going to offer it independently on the mmkb website and I'm happy to credit anything offered.

Mobile doesn't look great! I'm hoping it's just because I added the extra paragraph after and when it's removed it will look sort of normal. Thank you!

@FAT32 said:
    Most requested / important:

• How to cancel a service in WHMCS
    • How to cancel a Paypal Subscription

How to Cancel a Subscription via PayPal

Thanked by 3ITLabs FAT32 dedipromo
  • Other suggestions:

• Email account creation (DA/cP);
    • DNS records (A, CNAME, TXT etc);
    • WordPress security;
    Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @ITLabs said:
    Other suggestions:

• Email account creation (DA/cP);
    • DNS records (A, CNAME, TXT etc);
    • WordPress security;

Thank you!
    I have about 50 cPanel articles ready, I'll be writing up new DA ones :)

Examples: Email accounts, databases (add, remove, rename, all that), SSL certificates, FTP accounts, users, pretty much everything in the file manager, creating and editing cron jobs, all of the domain options, and some other stuff. :tongue: Thanks for your suggestions, the WordPress category was a recent decision :)

Thanked by 2ITLabs coreflux
  • Glad to help. Whenever I remember other possible topics I will post here ;-)

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

WP stuff:

• How to add shortcodes
    • WooCommerce 101
    • Setup Cloudflare
    • Fix broken links
    • Image optimization
    • Forms 101
    • Pagebuilders
    • Gutenberg
    • SEO (Yoast etc)
    Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @ITLabs said:
    WP stuff:

• How to add shortcodes
    • WooCommerce 101
    • Setup Cloudflare
    • Fix broken links
    • Image optimization
    • Forms 101
    • Pagebuilders
    • Gutenberg
    • SEO (Yoast etc)

Gutenberg article:

Step 1) use classic editor

Thanked by 2BlaZe MichaelCee
  • When posting screenshot, it would be easier for end users if you post the full screenshot (blur our any private info) and point an arrow to the button, instead of just putting a screenshot of the button itself

Thanked by 2ITLabs MichaelCee
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Also, it would be good if you could have those screen capture GIFs of the process.

btw, Installing Scripts/Apps from Softaculous - could be a handy article/category

Thanked by 2ITLabs MichaelCee
  • Basic WP & Domain How To:

How to point domain name to IP address
    How to create subdomain
    How to point subdomain to different IP, from the main domain
    How to install WordPress multisite
    How to setup WordPress multisite domain mapping

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited October 2019

@sanvit said:
    When posting screenshot, it would be easier for end users if you post the full screenshot (blur our any private info) and point an arrow to the button, instead of just putting a screenshot of the button itself

Definitely noted. As well as that, I need to ensure there's a high quality/consistency in the ratios of the images.

Edit: @Sanvit Is something like this a little more appealing?

New Drafts:
    How To Add a Cron Job in DirectAdmin
    How To Remove a Cron Job in DirectAdmin
    How To Create an Email Address in DirectAdmin
    How To Remove an Email Address in DirectAdmin
    How To Install WordPress Using Softaculous
    How To Use The WordPress Gutenberg Editor
    How To Install a Let's Encrypt Certificate in DirectAdmin
    How To Configure DNS Records in DirectAdmin

I am going to optimise the current ones before new ones and changing the images as per the above feedback.

Cheers :)

edited October 2019

You can download "Alpha V0.2" - 22 kbs for Domains, cPanel, DirectAdmin, WordPress, Softaculous and PayPal.

What I need to work on:

• Replacing stretched res and small/element specific screenshots.
    • DNS/Email/Gutenberg articles need a lot more info and images.

Very early stages, but I wanted to release a download just to get it out there, get thoughts back. The .zip file contains four SQL tables, the image folder to upload to your websites root and a pdf guide briefly explaining.

Import support_kb_categories.sql
    Import support_kb_articles.sql
    Import support_kb_article_content.sql
    Import support_kb_article_categories.sql

In an ideal world, "Alpha V0.3" will fix the images, finish content in current articles, and bump the count up to about 30 - 50 articles. I'll be working through the week :)

Mic-hael said: I was going to offer it through a hosting brand, but I am going to offer it independently on the mmkb website

I will be keeping the MMKB blesta installation for dev use (for now) as I will be touchin' the database quite a bit.

Download page: https://smallweb.net/portal/client/plugin/download_manager/client_main/

Thanked by 1LeonDynamic
  • Good job @Mic-hael and a great gesture. Rather than you doing all the work, how about opening up to have the community add kB articles as well?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited October 2019

@LeonDynamic said:
    Good job @Mic-hael and a great gesture. Rather than you doing all the work, how about opening up to have the community add kB articles as well?

Happy for anyone to contribute anything :)

It's just after on and off developing for a few years, I do have a stockpile of about 100 articles in my Drive waiting to be polished. Things that just need polishing are in grey at https://www.makemykb.com/index.html#categories-section - if something's not there, I don't have an article for it :)

Thank you so much!

Thanked by 1LeonDynamic
  • @Mic-hael said:
    I do have a stockpile of about 100 articles in my Drive waiting to be polished.

Well I don’t feel as sorry for you now haha.

Just had a look at one of the articles, How to Change DirectAdmin Template. The image is too large for mobile/tablet <768px. Doesn’t Blesta use Bootstrap so could use class=”img-responsive” for all images

Thanked by 2MichaelCee vyas11
  • @Mic-hael said:

@sanvit said:
    When posting screenshot, it would be easier for end users if you post the full screenshot (blur our any private info) and point an arrow to the button, instead of just putting a screenshot of the button itself

Definitely noted. As well as that, I need to ensure there's a high quality/consistency in the ratios of the images.

Edit: @Sanvit Is something like this a little more appealing?

Totally!

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • LeonDynamic said: Well I don’t feel as sorry for you now haha.

Just had a look at one of the articles, How to Change DirectAdmin Template. The image is too large for mobile/tablet <768px. Doesn’t Blesta use Bootstrap so could use class=”img-responsive” for all images

Perfect constructive feedback. I'll have the class implemented on all for v0.3. Thank you!

edited October 2019

Alpha v0.3 available. 61 Total Articles. Previews at https://makemykb.com

Features/Changes:
    - 30 New Softaculous Installation Guides
    - Replaced Images for PayPal Navigation
    - New Drafts For: WordPress, WHMCS, PayPal
    - New Responsive Images Classes on All

Issues/Problems:
    - Softaculous Sidebar Images, Incompletion
    - Screenshots Do Not Include Green Arrows

Big thanks to @FAT32, @Blaze and @ITLabs

Thanked by 3BlaZe FAT32 coreflux
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

Great work so far @Mic-hael,Sent PM

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Doesn't WordPress already have a huge knowledgebase and help community? May be focusing your time and energy on panel and payment related issues might be a good idea. Just saying.

Great work by the way @Mic-hael . The fact that you are distributing all these for free makes it an even better contribution to the web hosting community. Kudos to you!

Thanked by 2MichaelCee BlaZe
  • tried to download and i have to login?? do you have a direct link to get?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited October 2019

DreamCaster said: Doesn't WordPress already have a huge knowledgebase and help community? May be focusing your time and energy on panel and payment related issues might be a good idea. Just saying.

Great work by the way @Mic-hael . The fact that you are distributing all these for free makes it an even better contribution to the web hosting community. Kudos to you!

Thanks mate, a lot of these topics have their own kbs but some aren't too good, some aren't too public, I am just wanting a healthy bundle for this project and to make them "my own". :) I still have quite far to go.

@ginner159 said:
    tried to download and i have to login?? do you have a direct link to get?

It requires a log in as it will eventually be a product in an order cart under a free account.

Don't want to bump so - Alpha v0.5 available now.

• A total 80 knowledgebase articles
    • New readme.txt installation guide
    • Fixed empty images in Softaculous
    • Fixed empty images in WordPress
    • Fixed incorrect Softaculous labels
    • Merged duplicate image directories
    • Replaced images in PayPal articles
    • Some new images for future articles

Let me know your feedback, I'm compiling a list and trying to rework some things to be better in the future.

Thanked by 1DreamCaster
    edited October 2019

When you get to edit your post in the last 30 seconds, state "Don't want to bump" then remember information when it's too late.. @ginner159 I have made this version available without an account here

• Good job so far 👍. At this rate you’ll put Dewlance out of business 😆

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @LeonDynamic said:
    Good job so far 👍. At this rate you’ll put Dewlance out of business 😆

I hope one day to inspire thousands to save their $51 :P But also their last update was 2018! Yikes!

Thanked by 2LeonDynamic lnx
  • lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for putting this together! Having well written documentation that is also up to date is a huge asset for any company.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited October 2019

I've uploaded v0.6 which contains, at my own admission, some filler content. Otherwise, some fixes, tweaks, new sub-categories, category descriptions, etc. Available here. Has anybody downloaded this project out of curiosity?

With a release aim of December and 100 articles currently imported, I'm confident I can polish them up for a V1.

lnx said: Thanks for putting this together! Having well written documentation that is also up to date is a huge asset for any company.

Thank you! I'm open to any suggestions :)

• @Mic-hael said:
    Hello, I bought the domain makemykb.com a few years ago with the intention of releasing a full hosting knowledgebase bundle for WHMCS hosting customers.

I got lazy, stalled the project, lost some of the stuff, started again many times. This time over, I've decided I want to instead release it for free, for Blesta right now. I have plenty of articles to work on and import, but I wanted to start a discussion as motiviation, and for any feedback.

I wholeheartedly welcome the effort.
    Both sharing the knowledge (for which I think can only enrich both the one sharing and the ones "using" it) and doing it in a structured, easy to navigate way.

It's nice of you to have provided the "importable" file versions, so they can be easily added to (Blesta?) knowledge-bases.

My level of knowledge and experience in hosting is not very high, but for what I do know, I've created how-to's in a similar fashion, as best as I could. Also tried to put it in a structured, logical order for easier navigation. Anyone who finds it helpful is free and welcome to use it, of course:

https://io.bikegremlin.com/toc/

Thanked by 2MichaelCee vyas11
This discussion has been closed.