Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the uploads so low?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the uploads so low?

Tested a couple of VPS upload speeds & they all end up in the 3-6 Mbps range for upload using speedtest-cli.

Figured it's because I'm using crappy low end stuff. So spun up a 100usd pm azure server...certain I'll be blown away by it's savage performance. And....

Download: 1072.76 Mbit/s

Upload: 4.16 Mbit/s

What gives? Is this a flaw in the speedtest-cli or is it actually that slow?

Thanked by 1fucksgiven

Comments

• Perhaps the server you are testing with is low on internet bars.

• @Janevski said:
    Perhaps the server you are testing with is low on internet bars.

lol. Yeah tried a couple that were near the VPS location...all varying levels of bleak

Thanked by 1fucksgiven
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

Have you tried with iperf?

Edit: also take a look at YABS (it uses iperf3).

• @ITLabs said:

ah....that is now giving results more in line with expectations.

6-8gbps down, 1gbps up for the Azure server

50mbps both ways for the small oracle VM (looks capped)

Guess that means I shouldn't be trusting speedtest. Also need to check out the lower end Azure boxes...see if they have similar performance.

Thanked by 2ITLabs fucksgiven
  • sinsin Member
    edited October 2019

@havocx said:
    Tested a couple of VPS upload speeds & they all end up in the 3-6 Mbps range for upload using speedtest-cli.

Figured it's because I'm using crappy low end stuff. So spun up a 100usd pm azure server...certain I'll be blown away by it's savage performance. And....

Download: 1072.76 Mbit/s

Upload: 4.16 Mbit/s

What gives? Is this a flaw in the speedtest-cli or is it actually that slow?

It's a bug with speedtest-cli, happens on my servers too. Use iperf/iperf3 instead.

Thanked by 2havocx fucksgiven
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2019

havocx said: I shouldn't be trusting speedtest

You shouldn't be trusting speedtest in the first place for server to server - it's basically meant for largely measuring dinky connections.

Thanked by 2havocx fucksgiven
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@havocx said:

@ITLabs said:

ah....that is now giving results more in line with expectations.

6-8gbps down, 1gbps up for the Azure server

50mbps both ways for the small oracle VM (looks capped)

Guess that means I shouldn't be trusting speedtest. Also need to check out the lower end Azure boxes...see if they have similar performance.

There are some reports about upload issues with speedtest-cli. Are you using the version from your distro?

Try cloning the lastest version from their repo (https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli) and see if the results have improved.

• @ITLabs said:
    There are some reports about upload issues with speedtest-cli. Are you using the version from your distro?

Try cloning the lastest version from their repo (https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli) and see if the results have improved.

Yep. That resulted in gbps too. I guess the one in ubuntu repos is broken. Weird

Thanked by 2ITLabs fucksgiven
  • havocx said: Yep. That resulted in gbps too. I guess the one in ubuntu repos is broken. Weird

Yes, has been for quite a while. In fact this is the 2nd or 3rd thread on this here at LET if you search.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Yes, has been for quite a while. In fact this is the 2nd or 3rd thread on this here at LET if you search.

Cheers!

My bad. :/

Thanked by 1fucksgiven
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

Because speedtest-cli is a useless piece of garbage. If you need to test real throughput, use iperf3

Thanked by 1fucksgiven
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I do like using speedtest-cli but it is useless, just use iperf3 will never let you down.