Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
What is the Max Concurrent User 2GB can take
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

What is the Max Concurrent User 2GB can take

My Client runs a Standard VPS Plan from Bluehost 2gb Ram 2core CPU with Wordpress. But over the last few days we have turned a bluehoster, such that I have to reboot the vps at peak of 90-120 user online due to mysql crash. when I run free -m the free comes down as low as 53. same case last night when there were about 50 users online.

Secondly, I suspected MySQL running the vps out of memory, the database being used for the site was about 67mb and some others unused total about 150mb.

Similar case happen sometimes ago, I have to delete over 2000 post for the VPS to become stable till last week it started again today I have to delete over 2000 post again to get the site running properly. The owner also claimed it was even faster than before.

O yes, I have chatted Bluehost support, it seems like they are a bunch of coffee drinkers doing what I can do by myself [reboot the vps], one told me I have to upgrade ram for 120 Concurrent users.

Enough of my whining,
=> What is the Max Concurrent User 2GB can take
=> What can I do to optimized the site to prevent such occurrence in the future and crashes
=> Am considering installing OpenLiteSpeed as drop-in for Apache on the VPS - is this a good option

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota

Comments

  • yes

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

    @benYahweh said:
    => What can I do to optimized the site to prevent such occurrence in the future and crashes

    Cache.

    Also this and this.

    God bless your heart.

    #lexit | FatPal - Official LET payment gateway

  • deankdeank Member, Troll

    Type your comment

    I have not created a single thread. Verify it if you dare.

  • JordJord Moderator, Provider

    @ITLabs said:

    @benYahweh said:
    => What can I do to optimized the site to prevent such occurrence in the future and crashes

    Cache.

    Also this and this.

    God bless your heart.

    God bless you, my child.

    Thanked by 1ITLabs

    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013

  • OLS is good but won't make as much difference as cache would. I think it's supports LSCache plugin so definitely try that.

    ^-^!

  • edited October 2019

    Blessings.

    Thanked by 1ITLabs

    |||| $8? 🥔🥔 Markdown on Potatoes.

  • Answer: Cache + Auto Services restart on crash (MySQL, Nginx etc etc)

  • tree fiddy

    Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota

    lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

  • seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

    Replace Apache with NGINX, use mariadb instead of MySQL. Run mysql tuner and use their recommendations wisely :).

    That VPS should be able to handle more. But, frikking Wordpress is so bloated. Three internal WordPress features (WP-CRON, REST API, admin-ajax.php) can be extremely hard on a server if abused by plugins and themes. (A query monitor will be of no use if the issue is excessive usage of any of these three features ).

    Remove anything you don’t need, use some type of caching.

    Thanked by 3ITLabs vimalware RedSox
  • Bottleneck on MySQL ? use REDIS for cache DB

    Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • For load testing you can use https://loader.io/and see how your VPS performs when let's say 15 users connect per second and then tune your VPS accordingly. By the way if you are using Apache then replace it with nginx as told by seriesn.

    Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @jetchirag said:
    OLS is good but won't make as much difference as cache would. I think it's supports LSCache plugin so definitely try that.

    1 website and 2GB RAM you can get free licence for Litespeed Enterprise with all the .htaccess goodies built in

    Thanked by 2ITLabs jetchirag
  • @LeonDynamic said:

    @jetchirag said:
    OLS is good but won't make as much difference as cache would. I think it's supports LSCache plugin so definitely try that.

    1 website and 2GB RAM you can get free licence for Litespeed Enterprise with all the .htaccess goodies built in

    Totally forgot. Thanks.

    ^-^!

  • benYahweh said: when I run free -m the free comes down as low as 53.

    You need to check the part that says 'available'.

  • Before doing any changes on your server, first identify the root cause. You can fetch the root cause from the log file /var/log/messages . Kindly review the log file and check whether any "out of memory" errors are recorded or not.

  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited October 2019

    @alilet said:
    For load testing you can use https://loader.io/and see how your VPS performs when let's say 15 users connect per second and then tune your VPS accordingly. By the way if you are using Apache then replace it with nginx as told by seriesn.

    Loader.io is very good to test. Often goin at 10,000 per minute (max for free account).

    Made possible by (open)litespeed.

    Remember the value of LET is purely based on its traffic.

  • @seriesn said:
    Replace Apache with NGINX, use mariadb instead of MySQL. Run mysql tuner and use their recommendations wisely :).

    That VPS should be able to handle more. But, frikking Wordpress is so bloated. Three internal WordPress features (WP-CRON, REST API, admin-ajax.php) can be extremely hard on a server if abused by plugins and themes. (A query monitor will be of no use if the issue is excessive usage of any of these three features ).

    Remove anything you don’t need, use some type of caching.

    Since when mariadb is faster than mysql 8? For wordpress percona is the way to go. Nginx? Sure, but litespeed would be a bit better with standard htaccess support.

    Wordpress Hosting - To make developers life more enjoyable!

  • seriesnseriesn Member, Provider

    LTniger said: Since when mariadb is faster than mysql 8? For wordpress percona is the way to go. Nginx? Sure, but litespeed would be a bit better with standard htaccess support.

    Faster? Not really, about similar performance with a slightly lighter footprint. Plus, not owned by a big corp who kinda screwed other opensource programs in the past.

    Litespeed is definitely better! But is that premium price really worthed for your everyday joe?

  • FreeBSD please.

    Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

  • @default said:
    FreeBSD please.

    Debian tnx.

  • @LTniger said:
    Since when mariadb is faster than mysql 8? For wordpress percona is the way to go. Nginx? Sure, but litespeed would be a bit better with standard htaccess support.

    Why is percona better? I switched from percona to mariadb because it's default in debian.

  • @hiphiphip0 said:

    @LTniger said:
    Since when mariadb is faster than mysql 8? For wordpress percona is the way to go. Nginx? Sure, but litespeed would be a bit better with standard htaccess support.

    Why is percona better? I switched from percona to mariadb because it's default in debian.

    Percona optimized for InnoDB engine.

    Thanked by 1hiphiphip0

    Wordpress Hosting - To make developers life more enjoyable!

  • I have the impression that the OP (@benYahweh) isn't especially interested in any of the answers (to the extent that they're serious), given that he disappeared right after opening the thread

    Thanked by 2benYahweh o_be_one

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • @LTniger said:

    @hiphiphip0 said:

    @LTniger said:
    Since when mariadb is faster than mysql 8? For wordpress percona is the way to go. Nginx? Sure, but litespeed would be a bit better with standard htaccess support.

    Why is percona better? I switched from percona to mariadb because it's default in debian.

    Percona optimized for InnoDB engine.

    Although correct, there is no noticeable difference in performance unless the site has heavy traffic. DB caching remains the best approach for small / medium sites, imho.

    #lexit | FatPal - Official LET payment gateway

  • nginx cache + apache as backend or varnish with apache + wp rocket as a plugin. After that, run mysqltuner.pl (https://github.com/major/MySQLTuner-perl) and use it wisely.

    Also one thing people tend to forget about are removing unused PHP modules, only installing the wordpress required PHP modules on PHP7.3 could gain you +-800ms to 2 seconds in load time on average and requires much less resources:

    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/which-php-extensions-are-needed-to-run-a-fully-operational-wordpress-site/

    dom
    gmagick
    SimpleXML
    ssh2
    xml
    xmlreader
    curl
    date
    exif
    filter
    ftp
    gd
    hash
    iconv
    imagick
    json
    libxml
    mbstring
    mysqli
    openssl
    pcre
    posix
    sockets
    SPL
    tokenizer
    zlib
    

    most of the above are already in the default Ondrej/PHP repo, an apt-get install php7.3 php7.3-mysql php7.3-opcache(recommended) should be enough.

    Thanked by 3ITLabs LTniger coreflux
  • benYahwehbenYahweh Member

    angstrom said: have the impression that the OP (@benYahweh) isn't especially interested in any of the answers (to the extent that they're serious), given that he disappeared right after opening the thread

    I was reading the comment in ghost mode, after some chatting, bluehost sysadmin did some stuff that bring the server back to normal, guess what we are back at the same issue.
    Also my busy schedule did not afford me the opportunity to keep up with the thread

  • I think a lot of people have said this, but use Litespeed, cache, and an automated Cronjob (With Crontab or similar) to free memory cache and buffer could help free up some memory.

  • cazrzcazrz Member

    => What is the Max Concurrent User 2GB can take

    • Depends on your server/plugins/script/database/site activities/ etc... etc...

    => What can I do to optimized the site to prevent such occurrence in the future and crashes

    • You cant, if you only have single server. FB have more than 160,000 dedicated servers.
    • Remove all your wp plugins. Install WPcache or other cache plugins that creates static file version of pages then combine it with CDN (try bunnycdn).
    • Use wp2static + CDN

    => Am considering installing OpenLiteSpeed as drop-in for Apache on the VPS - is this a good option

    • Litespeed or NGINX

    Maybe there are just too many bots?
    The following I don't recommend but works well fairly easy to do with starters to prevent bots.

    • Try robots.txt deny/disallow. dirty HTACCESS deny/allow
    • Use Cloudflare firewall/captcha to prevent unwanted bots.
    Thanked by 1benYahweh
  • cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 6

    But if you are really serious on solving your issue, you need to give more details.
    What plugins you have in your site? Is it a very dynamic site or just simple blog? an ecommerce? a forum? multi-site? Also what theme are you using?

Sign In or Register to comment.