Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway new dedicated range
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway new dedicated range

Jona4sJona4s Member
edited October 2019 in General

Starting at $220 for 4 cores 3.7Ghz, isnt it expensive?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

E3-1240v6
    64GB RAM
    3x 1TB SSD
    500Mbps
    €199.99/m

Not the best, but not bad for three 1TB SSDs, 64GB RAM and 500Mbps with no cap. Hourly billing dedicated servers tend to be more expensive.

• Much cheaper during the beta but I guess that is over. Wow. Their previous bare metal dedis were underpowered but quite reasonable, like a C2750 with 16GB and an SSD for 24 euro/m if I remember correctly.

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited October 2019

Its overpriced as fuck. Spendmoreway, not scaleway.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dodheimsgard said:
    Its overpriced as fuck. Spendmoreway, not scaleway.

Someone needs to pay for the 1.99 dedi's.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

That seems really expensive. But I'm sure someone will buy it.

• Does no one get the point of these hourly billed beasts that are compatible with snapshots?

You deploy an already setup image and get encoding/compressing/computing in no time and once it’s done you can nick off. I do it all the time with Vultr, that so called expensive price boiled down to just 3 hours is nothing.

@corbpie said:
    Does no one get the point of these hourly billed beasts that are compatible with snapshots?

You deploy an already setup image and get encoding/compressing/computing in no time and once it’s done you can nick off. I do it all the time with Vultr, that so called expensive price boiled down to just 3 hours is nothing.

Yes, thats called virtualization, you are welcome.
    That does not justify a price tag of 199€.

You can get that for just 69€ per month.
    The only difference is, you get 2x premium NVMe 1TB drives instead of 3 shitty SSD's.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited October 2019

@Neoon said:

@corbpie said:
    Does no one get the point of these hourly billed beasts that are compatible with snapshots?

Yes, thats called virtualization, you are welcome.
    That does not justify a price tag of 199€.

You can get that for just 69€ per month.
    The only difference is, you get 2x premium NVMe 1TB drives instead of 3 shitty SSD's.

Its not about about virtualization. Deploy a ready to use image, smash it for a few hours on a high spec machine and end it. Many things dont need a month, week or even day plan.

@corbpie said:
    Its not about about virtualization. Deploy a ready to use image, smash it for a few hours on a high spec machine and end it. Many things dont need a month, week or even day plan.

If you use all the resources, for a very short period, within a month yes.
    Otherwise its waste of money, just because you can deploy a image on it, thats not reasonable.

You can do such with any other virtual machine.
    A Hetzner i7 with 32gig beats that thing in 4 days, with half the resources, keep that in mind.

• williewillie Member
    edited October 2019

Yeah, even if you want hourly for a few hours, I've found the Hetzner 8-core 32gb cloud vps (€30/m or around 0.03/hour) beats the i7-3770 in raw cpu (lower clock speed and maybe some cpu steal, but more cores). If you run it for days or weeks it might get throttled, but even the dedicated-cpu version is €70/m or .12/hour instead of 200/m. It seems like a specialized want though: if you do that sort of thing often it's worth having a cheap idle dedi kicking around, so you only need more hardware if your task will take weeks or longer, in which case you might as well get another auction server for a month.

The hourly dedi might make a little more sense if you need an enormous (256GB ram, say) server briefly once in a while. I wonder what the use case for that is though.

I also have to wonder about the contents of the hard disk when you spin up a bare metal hourly dedi. Do they wipe the disk after you spin it down, or does the next person get your data? I think other places use virtualization partly so you can't get to the raw disk. I wonder if there is some virtio driver hack that makes the disk appear zeroed when you get it, or maybe they use encryption or something. Actually wiping a full large hdd can take hours.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I picked up one of their dedicated servers before the price change and so far so good. Their upload seems very saturated and/or throttled, but the download bandwidth seems ok.

root@ip7:~# iperf3 -c ping-ams1.online.net
    Connecting to host ping-ams1.online.net, port 5201
    [ 4] local 51.15.177.65 port 46916 connected to 163.172.208.7 port 5201
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr Cwnd
    [ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 103 MBytes 864 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 112 MBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 112 MBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 112 MBytes 941 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 112 MBytes 941 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 112 MBytes 941 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 112 MBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 112 MBytes 941 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 112 MBytes 941 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes
    [ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 112 MBytes 942 Mbits/sec 0 2.61 MBytes

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Retr
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 934 Mbits/sec 0 sender
    [ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 932 Mbits/sec receiver
    iperf Done.

however

root@ip7:~# speedtest-cli
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from ONLINE SAS (51.15.177.65)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Cloudwatt (Paris) [14.24 km]: 3.566 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 777.17 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 4.14 Mbit/s

If anyone has good routing in Europe can you please test my bandwidth: http://ip7.vtdns.net/speedtest/

Thanks

• RemoteControl said: root@ip7:~# iperf3 -c ping-ams1.online.net

RemoteControl said: Their upload seems very saturated and/or throttled, but the download bandwidth seems ok.

Isn't that command upload?