Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Real Name / Phone / Address for transactions for VPS etc - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using Real Name / Phone / Address for transactions for VPS etc

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Spirit yes Sean Pirit must not be very common :)

Probably a large amount of people with my name, although generally the Antony spelling of the first name is more common without the H, in the UK anyway.

• @Nick_A said:
    Understandable. We are a registered company in the state of Georgia, though, for your peace of mind. It doesn't take a ton of work for people to find both the business and me, so RamNode is definitely a real, legal entity.

Good to know, thanks for the response :)

Although like I said, I was never really concerned (which is probably why I didn't bother "digging" before buying) - there were far too many positive stories.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2013

Spirit said: But you're atleast "legit". With real address, company number... at your site. Many just aren't. It's just incredible how many companies who aren't even companies but anonymous guys behind anonymous website require other's people real information.

Check.

http://www.edis.at/en/about/imprint/

Can't really write much more than that on a website, and it's law in most of Europe (UK seems to be an exception for sole traders).

• pcanpcan Member
    edited November 2013

Name, phone and address are semi-public data already listed in many places (phone book directories, domains, etc.); it is not unreasonable to declare them to the VPS provider. A phone number leak may be disturbing due to potential unsolicited commercial calls, so I declare the office number or a VoIP number (not my main landline number).

Before any purchase I always open the "about the company" link of the provider website. Bogus, missing or lacking company details are telltale signs of a hobby or side business. In Europe a business can't be anonymous (it may also be required to put the VAT number and company registration number on the homepage); looking at most LEB providers web sites, I was perplexed. I now understand that the widespread LEB provider anonimity is a consequence of the less restrictive USA fiscal legislation, and omitting company or personal contacts is a popular option for small operations. Nothing wrong with this, but I then will never use the service for business activities and never give further personal informations.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

That is why I don't allow orders via VPN/Proxy.

That right there has been one of our most effective strategies in preventing fraud and abuse on our network.

• pcan said: Name, phone and address are semi-public data already listed in many places

True. And if you've the same email address for 10+ years like me, that's out there too.

I always use real info for purchasing VPS services. IMO, if you're entering into a business contract with a company then you should identify yourself.

When possible, I pay through Paypal or 2CO and don't file a CC with the company. And when I have to use a CC, I use the one on which I keep a very low limit expressly for online use.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited November 2013

sleddog said: I always use real info for purchasing VPS services. IMO, if you're entering into a business contract with a company then you should identify yourself.

When possible, I pay through Paypal or 2CO and don't file a CC with the company. And when I have to use a CC, I use the one on which I keep a very low limit expressly for online use.

So damn true, also, if you have serious bussines need to have all the info correct, in my case if i get a server i need all the true and correct info on the invoice, so when is time to pay taxes, i can use the invoice.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@sleddog said:
    And when I have to use a CC, I use the one on which I keep a very low limit expressly for online use.

Same here have special debit card only for online payments.

• @Maounique said:
    Same here have special debit card only for online payments.

is it safe to use pp or use something like a prepaid cc which you use only when required by topup

• Why are we getting threads like this nowadays? How did people order hosting all these years?

• Abdussamad said: Why are we getting threads like this nowadays? How did people order hosting all these years?

I would have to assume they used fake details and either money in an envelope, or a money order.

My bank and I have a PIN number setup so that online transactions can not go through unless I use the PIN as well. Works with Paypal and most forms of online payment processors because it is on my banks end not theirs.

So even if someone does get a hold of my card or Paypal it will do them little good without that PIN. Could be seen as an inconvenience to some people, but if I do not protect myself then who will?

• AuroraZ said: I would have to assume they used fake details and either money in an envelope, or a money order.

Most hosts don't take offline payments. Even something like wire transfer is rarely accepted.

• @mpkossen said:
    What always surprises me more is that hosts often provide so many fake information themselves but somehow demand us to provide real information.

^ This x 1000000000

Or, they barely have ANY info; i.e., when you go to pay them via Paypal and/or it is a personal Paypal account ... none of which you can easily determine before you've already signed up.

• Abdussamad said: Most hosts don't take offline payments. Even something like wire transfer is rarely accepted.

Now they do not but I remember when credit/debit cards were not the normal way of things. Should tell you roughly my age. :-P

I am sure there are some hosts that would accept cash/money orders still. They spend the same and do not have the fees involved that credit/debit cards usually have. Of course a money orders can be faked now as well so.... it is six of one half a dozen of the other.

Not sure how others do their business but I believe as long as the host is honest with me I will be honest with them. I rarely have problems and even if I did, I would not come here to complain about it. I would take it up with the business as most people should.

• Or do you think... hey this person wants to protect their identity so that is fine I will take payment without question.

If a customer tries to hide their identity/location, etc when they buy online with a credit card from my business their order is canceled and they're permanently blacklisted from making further purchases. I take fraud prevention seriously and I'm not going to risk accepting a credit card payment from someone if I can't verify that they are the actual card owner :)

The company needs to keep the client's information secure and the client needs to provide real information. Remember, when you sign up for a VPS you are entering into a legal contract, and using false information may be in breach of that contract.

That also applies to hosts. The name listed on the terms of service should be the name of the legal entity that the customer is entering into a contract with. If the business is unincorporated and run by a sole trader the TOS should list 'Joe Owner' d/ba/ OneManShowHost.com because Joe Owner is the real legal entity (i.e. the person who will be sued if xyz happens). An unincorporated business is not a legal entity.

The host should also list a physical street address and contact information on their website (and also on their WHOIS info). There are too many hosts who hide their info or give fake info.

Still I would like to see one company sued into bankruptcy over a serious data breach. Just to outline to companies that it is in fact serious business and not something that you should "accept the consequences" of trusting a company with your information.

Hey there! Your personal info is floating around the Internet. Sorry. :P

I don't think most small businesses (not just small hosts) realize how costly a data breach can be (potential fines, lawsuits, etc), and the majority of them are completely clueless about the notification procedures that must be legally followed if there is a breach.

@Abdussamad said:

We do accept bank transfers from within EU as long as the customer pays the fees or the amount is big enough (of course, I am talking about the small VPS business, not the big customers, those only pay from the bank account). 60+ eur is big enough.
    There are also mistakes, people paying directly to Paypal and this we dont like as complicates things, but, oh, well, people can make mistakes.

• @Maounique "People paying directly to Paypal" can be blocked from the settings in your paypal account.

Except that is not an option for other reasons.