Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A lot of storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A lot of storage

hzrhzr Member
edited October 2019 in Requests

I'm looking for (10T, 20T+) terabytes of storage. Wow, such storage. Anywhere in US/EU is fine. I don't have major requirements other than Paypal and unmetered 100M at least. I don't need raiding. I am a competent sysadmin, no abuse reports.

My budget is as low as you can get it, but will vary based on amounts. I would prefer to be below the last (expired) hosthatch special.

I'm aware of SYS but all of https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ is sold out, and the E3's max out at 8TB JBOD for $70ish, which seems high.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Would be 75/m on a slice for 10tb and a 4gb ram.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Francisco said:

Francisco

You mean 65/m?

Thanked by 2coreflux Ouji
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FAT32 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

You mean 65/m?

Glad one of us can do math.

Francisco

• Should've jumped on the online.net special sale thingy. iirc there was 3x6tb for 40/month.

Anyway, hetzner SX-62 for 64/month with 4x10tb (setup fee applies), or 4x4tb for 39/month (auction server, no setup fee).

• @hzr said:
    I'm looking for (10T, 20T+) terabytes of storage. Wow, such storage. Anywhere in US/EU is fine. I don't have major requirements other than Paypal and unmetered 100M at least. I don't need raiding. I am a competent sysadmin, no abuse reports.

My budget is as low as you can get it, but will vary based on amounts. I would prefer to be below the last (expired) hosthatch special.

I'm aware of SYS but all of https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ is sold out, and the E3's max out at 8TB JBOD for $70ish, which seems high.

@key900 LetBox are at $7 for 3TB and can be stacked. Out of stock right now but being restocked ASAP. Perhaps he can hook you up?

• hzrhzr Member

So currently roughly 40TB JBOD for $70 seems to be the top offer. Anything beating that?

• Troofthully that is is sub-€2/TB and is on a powerful dedi as well. And the drives can't be that old since 10TB drives haven't been around that long. It sounds very hard to beat. Note that the 70 monthly is euros rather than USD.

• @hzr said:
    So currently roughly 40TB JBOD for $70 seems to be the top offer. Anything beating that?

The 100TB server which is the next step up has the same $/TB for quadruple the RAM and a better CPU if that matters.

• williewillie Member
    edited October 2019

The one above that (with 150TB) has hardware raid.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hetznar.

• Definitely heinz.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@hzr said:

Few things you need to take care of before going with such offer

1- this offer is 4 disk jbod which means you have to run your own raid , on vps you usually get raided disk space .
    so for example in our storage plans we use 6 disks in raidz2 which means for each 6 disks we get 4 disk storage which is 50% overhead
    that mean thr 40TB raw you see here is equivalent to 26TB in our offers

2- the offer is only 4 disks which unfortunate because nowadays with such large disks you cant do just raid 5 to get 30TB storage out of it as there is high chance that array rebuilding will fail if we assumed the disks are really enterprise disk with ure of 1 in 10^15

if the disks have ure of 1 in 10^14 it will almost for sure fail when rebuilding the array

that makes you forced to do raidz2 or raid6 to overcome this issue which will render your storage to just half of what you have so you will get only 20TB usable out of the box

so when consider the pricing you are in reality paying 70euro for 20TB usable and secure

which translate to 76.80$ per 20Tb which is 3.9$/TB

we can offer you 2.5$/TB usable for 10TB and more and the vps other specs will be free and will be good specs with lot of ram etc

• Hani said: we can offer you 2.5$/TB usable for 10TB and more and the vps other specs will be free and will be good specs with lot of ram etc

what's the $/T for 5tb and how much traffic and ram per TB?

• hzrhzr Member

Hani said: this offer is 4 disk jbod which means you have to run your own raid ,

Yeah, this is fine. I am doing erasure coding across the drives for object storage, and on top of that probably looking for more than one machine, and data loss I don't care about too much.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@Creling said:

Hani said: we can offer you 2.5$/TB usable for 10TB and more and the vps other specs will be free and will be good specs with lot of ram etc

what's the $/T for 5tb and how much traffic and ram per TB?

we can do it for 3.5$/tb usable so the total is 17.50$
    we can add 8gb ram + 4 shared cores expecting overall usage not exceeding 50% (can be replaced by 2 dedicated cores if you wish)

for bw it will be 100mbps unlimited soon will roll our our 1gbps with 4TB limit option which will be free upgrade

@hzr said:

Hani said: this offer is 4 disk jbod which means you have to run your own raid ,

Yeah, this is fine. I am doing erasure coding across the drives for object storage, and on top of that probably looking for more than one machine, and data loss I don't care about too much.

what solution you will go with ? .we tried ceph and the performance was very bad . still wish to revisit this idea but when we spend too much and tried it 1.5 yeas ago the performance was not there yet

• hzr said: Yeah, this is fine. I am doing erasure coding across the drives for object storage

If it's 3-of-4 coding on 4 drives you face the same issue as raid-5. If it's multiple machines there's more drives but maybe more total storage than you wanted. Plus maybe more to go wrong because of the network connections etc. The Hetzner auction shows a bunch of 4x4tb and 4x6tb configs so maybe those are good for multi-machine. Some of these have E3 cpus with ECC memory which is a plus. Also there are some 15x4tb with ECC and hardware raid if you can use that much space. It would let you have 3 parity drives for 48tb usable.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@hzr said:

A word of warning:erasure coding, at least the types/algorithms used in object storage, are computationally considerably more expensive than Raid. In fact large providers use dedicated hardware just for erasure coding.

That said the best option with the best price/quality ratio known to me for what you want known to me is Hetzner.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2019

willie said: If it's 3-of-4 coding on 4 drives you face the same issue as raid-5. If it's multiple machines there's more drives but maybe more total storage than you wanted. Plus maybe more to go wrong because of the network connections etc

I have POC running with both tahoe-lafs, minio, openio. Unsure which still. Did not have good experience w/ceph, and openstack swift was shitweasel-annoying to set up

I do not need huge performances and it's not critical data

This looks amazing, but the company seems wtf (linking to crypto crap and "make money by mining on your users browser!!" in footer and prominently on other domains), and 10TB BW for 40TB disk seems absurd especially considering overages are the leaseweb normal practice of costing as much as the server

This is not entirely what I want from a host: