Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Mail child protection
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Mail child protection

Hi
    I'm using Postfix+Rspamd+Dovecot
    I got two children and I'm interested to implement this kind of solution: https://junior.mailo.com/mailo/en/presentation_junior.php
    In few words I'm looking for a solution which scan all mails sent to my children and required my validation in order to be delivered.
    Any idea please?
    Thank you

Comments

• Any half decent parent wants to protect their child. But my question is, at what age do you let them go to the bathroom themselves?

|||| $8? 🥔🥔 Markdown on Potatoes.

• @ineeefewfiw128992 said:
      /r/insaneparents

Congrats on your first comment

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• @angstrom said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:
      /r/insaneparents

Congrats on your first comment

Congrats on your your 2764th thanks.

Thanked by 2angstrom dahartigan

• angstrom said: Congrats on your first comment

Thanks a lot. Gotta get that provider tag as soon as possible.

• uptimeuptime Member

I might have some suggestions but they're pretty basic - if you're going to be reading their mail anyway to approve it and send it along?

Leave a Comment

You can use Markdown in your post.

angstrom said: Congrats on your first comment

Thanks a lot. Gotta get that provider tag as soon as possible.

I can speak for everyone here that we eagerly await your offers.

Thanked by 1uptime

• Have you followed the link before sending a message?!
      The goal is not to read all mails, but validate sender adresses.

Thanked by 1uptime
    • edited October 5

@lebidule said:
      Have you followed the link before sending a message?!
      The goal is not to read all mails, but validate sender adresses.

How is it any different? It's still a tool to monitor or "validate" all incoming mail to your children's email. Don't get me wrong, what I said you were doing is noble as a parent. It's my way of saying that there will come a time when your children will say enough Dad, and you have to accept that. I speak from experience.

Thanked by 2uptime Ole_Juul

• uptimeuptime Member
      edited October 5

Sorry, no I didn't check the link. But if that's a system that does what you need, why not use that? I guess you're looking to re-create that functionality in your own setup?

If I can make a general suggestion about asking for advice here - spend a little time to explain. I'm generally not inclined to follow links (usually suspicious of spammy marketing - nothing personal, just my instinctive wariness of links on a forum. Also I'm lazy.) A link may be most useful to supplement your own explanation. Just my opinion, please take it for what it's worth.

Thanked by 1shallownorthdakota

Leave a Comment

• lebidule said: The goal is not to read all mails

How many of them do you want to read then? Why do you want to spy on your children? Are you seriously this insane?

Have you installed cameras in their rooms already? Did you vaccinate your children?

• uptime said: I'm generally not inclined to follow links

This.

uptime said: I'm lazy.

More so, this.

Thanked by 1uptime

• edited October 5

Buy a Black Friday special VPS. Let your kids setup their own email servers. Then @jar can give them jobs in 15 3 years.

Thanked by 3imok uptime jar

• imokimok Member
      edited October 5

Oh, this will not end well.

I suggest to visit a professional on child care first, if you haven't done it yet.

• uptimeuptime Member
      edited October 5

@ineeefewfiw128992 - c'mon man ... there's lulz, there's trolling, there's kind of sort of being a dick ... and then there's the stuff you just wrote. I mean, I get it, sort of ... but maybe dial it back just a bit?

Maybe these are very young children, maybe there's some other context.

I would just say to @lebidule - if you really seriously need to protect their mail, then maybe should plan to read it carefully - automated systems can block good stuff and miss bad stuff. That's what I was hinting at in a previous post. Something to keep in mind.

Hopefully you'll get more helpful suggestions - even from various points of view, lol ...

Leave a Comment

• edited October 5

In the spirit of fairness and because he is a stand up member of this community. @MikePT would also possibly have some input for you and consider hiring your children in the future.

Thanked by 2uptime MikePT

• ITLabsITLabs Member

Forget about email... why would a child use email when they have YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat?

• I found you answers very strange...
      It seems I will shock many of you but yes, I want to protect my 8yo child from internet (mail & surf). Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address. But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.
      I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

Thanked by 1uptime
    • @ITLabs said:
      Forget about email... why would a child use email when they have YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat?

Youtube Kids :)

• jarjar Provider

@shallownorthdakota said:
      Buy a Black Friday special VPS. Let your kids setup their own email servers. Then @jar can give them jobs in 15 3 years.

I comply very strictly with the labor laws of China.

• lebidule said: Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address.

Total violation of privacy. It's his iPad, not yours.

lebidule said: But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.

Are you afraid that others will know that you're an insane parent? I will take this as a proof.

lebidule said: I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

Stop grounding your children like this.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
    • uptimeuptime Member
      edited October 5

@lebidule - cool ... that makes sense

So, now I have a link for you: https://www.vultr.com/docs/simple-mailserver-with-postfix-dovecot-and-sieve-on-debian-9

The relevant part of that being the very capable "sieve" mail filter which can easily do all that you need (and more)

I'm familiar with it from the excellent Fastmail service, which also may (or may not) be a useful system to know about for your "family email" needs as they grow

EDIT2:

And ... I'm not sure if it will shock you to hear the inevitable anecdotes about how some children even your son's age can rapidly learn to hack the gibson and circumvent many "net nanny" restrictions, for better or for worse. So most important thing may be that they know they can count on you to understand and consult if they need to. :)

Leave a Comment

• I would probably be inclined to pursue a less intrusive solution:

• If the kids are very young, then no email accounts
      • If the kids are old enough for email accounts, then an open discussion about the risks: in other words, some education
      • You can then set up their email accounts on a server that you control (or, for example, on a mxroute account), and you can glance at the headers in their mailboxes from time to time just to make sure that everything seems okay, but I would let the kids know that you do this from time to time

I'm not saying that one should never do more than this, but if kids feel that their privacy is being invaded, then they may be inclined to find workarounds (e.g., a secret Gmail account that you don't know about).

Admittedly, it's not so easy to find the right balance.

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• jarjar Provider
      edited October 5

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:

lebidule said: Right now the mail address I set for him (for instance in order to activate his iPad) redirect all mails to my personnel mail address.

Total violation of privacy. It's his iPad, not yours.

lebidule said: But in the following months he will have "internet lessons" at school and he may want to exchange by mail.

Are you afraid that others will know that you're an insane parent? I will take this as a proof.

lebidule said: I don't want him receiving mails from all internet but I'm ok from parents, grandparents, familly, etc.

https://media.giphy.com/media/srTYyZ1BjBtGU/giphy.gif

• @ineeefewfiw128992 @shallownorthdakota Take a break
      @uptime @angstrom Thank you for your advices. I didn't think about sieve and that's a good solution

• MikePTMikePT Member, Provider

In the spirit of fairness and because he is a stand up member of this community. @MikePT would also possibly have some answers for you and consider hiring your children in the future.

This is hilarious. Restricting is the worse a father can do. One needs to gain trust and thats how it should work IMO.

In the spirit of derailing this thread: This is how children should be grounded:

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
      Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

• edited October 5

@ITLabs said:

You need an email to sign up for "most" of these services. Maybe that's what he wants to keep an eye on validate. Wait until his kids find out about GuerillaMail.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs

• edited October 5

*** lebidule has quit LET (Read error to lebidule[lowendtalk.com]: EOL from client)

Thanked by 1MikePT

• edited October 5

lebidule said: 8yo child

Follow my advice and teach them early. Then in only 2 years your child can have a Member Rep Tag here on LET, and in 2 more a full Providers tag or Moderators position. Please teach them ipv6 now so it can be implemented before 2025.

I had shitty parents and a Commodore 64 when I was 9. I turned out fine.

Good luck with your budget.

Type your comment

*edit

Thanked by 1ITLabs

• @jar said:

I comply very strictly with the labor laws of China.

This is why Nike enjoys it's hosting services from Digital Ocean.

• @teamacc said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:

In the spirit of derailing this thread: This is how children should be grounded:

This wouldn't have anything to do with the new NO SPANKING YOUR KIDS law in Scotland would it?

• Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

Just like whether or not you should self host email.

• lebidule said: Take a break

Good idea. Thanks.

/me gets up.

• uptimeuptime Member

@caracal said:
      Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

"Don't tell me how to raise my kids ... You're not my dad!"

Leave a Comment

• edited October 5

@uptime said:

@caracal said:
      Parenting: a subject where everyone has their own opinion and then some.

"Don't tell me how to raise my kids ... You're not my dad!"

*edit

Thanked by 1uptime

• @VortexMagnus shall rise again.

• @imok said: I suggest to visit a professional on child care first, if you haven't done it yet.

I don't see what further advice any clinically accredited professional could provide that the professionals on LET couldn't. We are an inclusive, well versed and diverse bunch. But I gave you a thumbs up anyways bud.

uptime said: ... and then there's the stuff you just wrote. I mean, I get it, sort of ... but maybe dial it back just a bit?

I bit. I totally thought this was /s . You get a thumbs up too.

Thanked by 1uptime

• Honeslty if kids are old enough to use the internet then their old enough to figure out how to get pissed off by and find a way around all blocks you implement. Educate them on the internet or dont give them access period as any blocks will just manage to annoy them and give them reason to break them.

• edited October 5

Here's some reading that was to be found circa my vintage. I was 9 and unleashed with a phone line, a c64 and a 300 baud modem.

http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/BOXES/

Are you going to moderate your child's learning too or let them explore for themselves. I will not disagree that the internet is a 100x different animal now than 20-30 years ago. Just saying, if your kid is persistent enough they will seek knowledge for themselves.

You could also consider encapsulating your children in a Docker container or FreeBSD Jail for their own safety.

*edit

• edited October 5

You may also seek answers here. I demand an apology for being accused of being unhelpful.

*edit

• sudo apt install -y buzzkilldad

• edited October 5

@lebidule I believe we have provided you with several options to achieve your desired goal.

Please consider we are all unpaid volunteers at LET except for @jbiloh who sleeps on mattresses filled with $100 bills, and dines on endangered sea creatures.

Please consider a donation to a worthy cause on behalf of LET.

If you were pleased with the service received, please kindly Rate our Support

Thank you for your continued support of LET and it's membership.

*edit

• jsgjsg Member
      edited October 5

Hell, is LET an education advice forum or an opinion polling site? NO.

Either ignore OP or provide some technical advice. That's what he asked for. If you provide sensible technical advice and can't resist to paternalize or virtue signal a bit you can provide some education advice additionally.

@lebidule

Pretty much any mailing solution offers some kind of filtering. The approach I would take is to write a small filter script that looks the sender up in a white list (e.g. is the mail from granny, uncle, ...?) and to allow it into the inbox if yes or to send it to my account if not (for a quick look).
      That said I would definitely allow my child to tell me sender email addresses of his chosing to be white listed (friends, teachers, ...).

Plus, I would of course take quite some time (in slices over some weeks) to talk about and educate my child about the internet and the dangers that lurk there, how to check and verify things, how to protect oneself, etc.

I think it's very important that the child sees the whole "operation" as something like "daddy grabs my hand and we enter the internet together and the smarter I become the more things I can do all by myself" and not as some form of censorship and control.

• deluxedeluxe Member

@james50a said:
      Honeslty if kids are old enough to use the internet then their old enough to figure out how to get pissed off by and find a way around all blocks you implement.

Yeah, right. I'm going to have RATS in all the devices possible, custom SSL cert authority installed with transparent logging proxy and send everything on an append-only remote database - with configurable triggers for real-time alerts. It's gonna take a looooong time until that baby requires hardening.

• edited October 5

@jsg said:
      Hell, is LET an education advice forum or an opinion polling site? NO.

Either ignore OP or provide some technical advice. That's what he asked for. If you provide sensible technical advice and can't resist to paternalize or virtue signal a bit you can provide some education advice additionally.

@lebidule

Pretty much any mailing solution offers some kind of filtering. The approach I would take is to write a small filter script that looks the sender up in a white list (e.g. is the mail from granny, uncle, ...?) and to allow it into the inbox if yes or to send it to my account if not (for a quick look).
      That said I would definitely allow my child to tell me sender email addresses of his chosing to be white listed (friends, teachers, ...).

Plus, I would of course take quite some time (in slices over some weeks) to talk about and educate my child about the internet and the dangers that lurk there, how to check and verify things, how to protect oneself, etc.

I think it's very important that the child sees the whole "operation" as something like "daddy grabs my hand and we enter the internet together and the smarter I become the more things I can do all by myself" and not as some form of censorship and control.

Hi, and welcome to LowEndTalk. Thank you for your contributions in your 18 months on LET. They are many noted and not being derided. Cheers.

*edit

• dahartigandahartigan Member, Host Rep

Just contact the NSA and ask them for a daily log of all your son's internet activity.

I'm a HostDoc representative and purveyor of high quality potassium.

• @lebidule said:
      Hi
      I'm using Postfix+Rspamd+Dovecot
      I got two children and I'm interested to implement this kind of solution: https://junior.mailo.com/mailo/en/presentation_junior.php
      In few words I'm looking for a solution which scan all mails sent to my children and required my validation in order to be delivered.
      Any idea please?
      Thank you

Use mailman and setup the e-mail main address as mailing lists and require any submissions to the list to be approved before they are delivered to the users on the list. So you make something like [email protected] as a mailing list and then have them delivered once approved to your end e-mail account, something like [email protected] This would allow you to moderate the list and control what e-mails end up in the end user (kids) account.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1uptime

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
      20+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development

• This seems like it would teach the child that dishonesty is acceptable in a family situation. I think it is not.

• Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member

@teamacc said:

@ineeefewfiw128992 said:

This is by far the best joke I saw this year.