Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS provider from Switzerland
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS provider from Switzerland

Hello lowendhosting community,

I am Nico and together with some great people we are running 2 data centers in the mountains of Switzerland. We run everything based on Open Source and we think we have built a cool, IPv6 only infrastructure. Running IPv6 only, we obviously target the lower priced segment and this is why I wanted to reach out here.

Now, building stuff is cool, but knowing what you guys really need and building that is much more fun. Our website is on https://ipv6onlyhosting.com/ and I know some of you guys here are already using our services, but I (and our team) does not know what do you exactly like or dislike.

So I wanted to ask, if you could choose one feature that we should implement for you, what would it be?

Btw, we document all feature requests on https://redmine.ungleich.ch/projects/open-infrastructure publicly, so if you are curious what has been done or is still open, you can check it out.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited October 2019

In general I think this is great, but I hope it could be cheaper :)

There are several providers that provide NAT only IPv4 and IPv6, you can look up them here: https://lowendspirit.com @AnthonySmith @mikho

In addition to the list above, @HostDoc, @Cam and @i83 is another 3 providers that provide IPv6 only VPS too.

• Perhaps a 1-week free/very-low-price test would be good to see what the speeds are like, and to test out the IPv6. I've only ever used another host that was IPv^ and it took forever for me to figure out how to make the VPS reachable from the internet. I had to use Cloudflare - but it would interest me to see how you do it before committing to the service. Then I could better give an answer about features. Just a thought.

• hzrhzr Member

7EUR/m for an IPv6 only VPS is significantlym ore than I would want to pay.

• @hzr said:

Yeah specialy when they say its cheaper on their website

• pikepike Veteran
    edited October 2019

@hzr said:

You can set RAM to 1GB and the price will drop to 2,50CHF = 2,50$ = 2,28€

Thanked by 1uptime
  • A bit too high-end for my requirements, but I generally appreciate any service pushing IPv6, it's still a long way to go... Adoption is still way too slow and the fact that SixXS vanished, did not really help.

The Wireguard tunnel approach is quite different to whatever is available now, but 120 CHF/year is a lot, even though you get it for free with one of the virtual servers.

• terrorgenterrorgen Member
    edited October 2019

Support response is slow especially after some major publicity events. People wear a lot of hats there.

There is no way to reboot from the control panel. Very important if you lost ssh access. Can't just wait for the staff to reboot for you.

Also don't treat your customers like idiots.

• Bandwidth !

• @hzr said:

The most affordable one is actually 3.31 CHF/m - if you go with 1 GB/RAM

• @salakis said:
    A bit too high-end for my requirements, ...

Which would be your minimal requirements? We are working on allowing more flexible rates and maybe I can push smaller specs into the development process

• @terrorgen said:
    Support response is slow especially after some major publicity events. People wear a lot of hats there.

Not sure what you refer to by this, especially not the hats part. But I do sometimes wear one...

There is no way to reboot from the control panel. Very important if you lost ssh access. Can't just wait for the staff to reboot for you.

I absolutely agree with you - this should be accessible.

If that happened to you, I'd be grateful if you can share the ticket number, I'll check it out.

• tgltgl Member

@nicoschottelius Just my two cents:

I checked out your project and it seems very interesting, not many people are going ahead with these kind of things, they prefer just the profits, but in your case I saw also a research side, about IPV6, wireguard, Hack4Glarus so it was refreshing for me to see something different, not just the usual NVMe hype that repeats itself on each offer; also I think the location is attractive.

As others mentioned, I think you could offer also another budget version, 512MB RAM could be it for IPv6, because this is Linux, and most people wont need 1GB, there are also many 'collectors', myself included, that just buy, play a little with them, and then just keep them idle.

P.S. If you offer security, you need to wear the hat, or you won't be any good at it.

Thanked by 1nicoschottelius
  • terrorgenterrorgen Member
    edited October 2019

@nicoschottelius said:

@terrorgen said:

Not sure what you refer to by this, especially not the hats part. But I do sometimes wear one...

"Wear many hats" means taking multiple roles at work. Sorry this is a North American term. See ticket #1208, there is an 8-day gap in support response. I understand that you guys just finished an event and are catching up on tickets. Not a big deal though.

If that happened to you, I'd be grateful if you can share the ticket number, I'll check it out.

See #1413. I just don't feel like I was treated professionally. It's like microaggression.

Also, at the end of the day, both tickets were not responded when I have follow up questions.

Thanked by 1nicoschottelius
  • There are active VPNs in Germany, Croatia, South Korea, China, Spain, ... you name it!

Does this mean people from these countries are also using it, or there's a node on these countries?

• @terrorgen said:

@nicoschottelius said:

@terrorgen said:

"Wear many hats" means taking multiple roles at work. Sorry this is a North American term. See ticket #1208, there is an 8-day gap in support response. I understand that you guys just finished an event and are catching up on tickets. Not a big deal though.

See #1413. I just don't feel like I was treated professionally. It's like microaggression.

Also, at the end of the day, both tickets were not responded when I have follow up questions.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the ticket numbers, I'll investigate there and checkout how things can be done better.

• @sanvit said:
    There are active VPNs in Germany, Croatia, South Korea, China, Spain, ... you name it!

Does this mean people from these countries are also using it, or there's a node on these countries?

People are using it from those countries. We are "solely" Swiss based at the moment. We are considering to open up another location in South Korea in the future though.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • AMXRTAMXRT Member
    edited October 2019

Ah, here you are! Always was curious to try your services but was never able to do so, because you guys are not accepting Bitcoin.

You position yourself as a secure and open source provider, so what are your reasons to not accept the most secure and open source virtual currency in the world? There are no chargebacks, so you have no risks accepting it, except its volatility, which is easy to assess.

P.S. don't think it's only my concern, you will be asked this question continuously during your journey on LET

Thanked by 1ralph
  • edited October 2019

Do Want Bitcoin Support!

• Definitely improve the client server panel. That was a no-go for me. You can't do anything yourself!