Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel's Cascade Lake-X CPU for High-End Desktops: 18 cores for Under $1000
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel's Cascade Lake-X CPU for High-End Desktops: 18 cores for Under $1000

rchurchrchurch Member
edited October 2019 in General

Anandtech - Intel's Cascade Lake-X CPU for High-End Desktops: 18 cores for Under $1000

May we live in interesting times.

When are we going to see these from LET providers, then again, why go for the latest CPUs when you can get 5 year old chips which are good enough for LET for free?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

rchurch said: When are we going to see these from LET providers, then again, why go for the latest CPUs when you can get 5 year old chips which are good enough for LET for free?

They completely destroy power and heat.

You're going to have to stack a lot of customers on that type of CPU to make it worth it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Speed / cores competitive with Ryzen at the price, but power is higher, and what about ECC?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rchurch said: When are we going to see these from LET provider

rchurch said: Desktops

I think your subject line answered your question.

• @Francisco said:

rchurch said: When are we going to see these from LET providers, then again, why go for the latest CPUs when you can get 5 year old chips which are good enough for LET for free?

They completely destroy power and heat.

You're going to have to stack a lot of customers on that type of CPU to make it worth it.

Francisco

I see a LET providers continue to advertise systems built based E5-26xx processors, and even 56xx processors. I have even seen e7-4870 recently advertised.

Are they using cheaper power or cooler data centers in some old warehouses or something, or are they limiting the CPUs?