Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach plans for OpenVZ6 [only for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1 - feedback gathering ]

JabJabJabJab Member
edited October 2019 in General

I've seen a lot of questions and threads here, so I figure out gonna post for all the people.

EDIT: Important quote

VirMach said: I do want to stress that we are only electing to this specifically for these two nodes to see the feedback. We have not yet decided to proceed like this for all nodes, so I do not want to give the wrong idea.

Full e-mail:

Subject: [IMPORTANT] Scheduled Migration/Upgrade for your Cloud Service (Chicago)

Dear VirMach Customer,

Your service with us is currently running on a virtualization technology that is no longer being supported after November 2019. We will be upgrading your service & moving it to a newer server with supported software.

What to expect:

• Your service’s IP address will change
  • There will be up to a few hours of downtime while your service is moved
  • Your service’s data will be migrated and remain the same
  • Your service’s performance should increase

Although you are being moved to a more premium service, pricing will remain the same

Scheduled time:
Your service is scheduled to be migrated on October 8, 2019. Your service will experience some downtime between 8AM and 5PM, Pacific Standard Time. We recommend you back up your important data before this occurs. While complications are rare, they may occur.

Other options:
You may contact us to (1) have your service moved earlier especially if you have any custom requests, (2) request a specific preference between OVZ7 and KVM Virtualization, or (3) request pro-rated refund and early cancellation if you prefer. We will try our best to accommodate you.

More information (for advanced users)
Your service will be moved from our older OpenVZ6 node, which is reaching end of life. It will be migrated to a newer KVM node, with a new IP address. The OpenVZ container will be converted and moved over to this newer server. Your plan will become a “KVM Lite” package, which is our new line of services with features in between your current OpenVZ6 package and our premium KVM packages.

You will have dedicated disk space, full logical processors core(s) and it’s own kernel as a part of KVM virtualization, free of charge. However, as your package was initially OpenVZ6, we will not perform or provide any additional premium services, such as custom ISO mounts, or allow the purchase of dedicated cores. Your package will also remain Linux-only, and usage levels must fall in line with the fair use policy.

Please review our AUP for KVM Lite packages below:
https://virmach.com/terms-conditions/

Questions?
Please visit the Network Status page in the billing area for any updates about this migration. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our support team through the ticketing feature on our billing panel.

Thank you,
The VirMach Team

Your service’s IP address will change so not as smooth as we all hoped and few hours of downtime.

I really wish they would list all the 'affected' services - I have no idea what I have and where, need to figure out which server is going offline for few hours :P

Thanked by 2uptime FrankZ

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited October 2019

No custom ISO... :(

Edit : not complaining, I'm really happy to hear that we're geting migrated to OVZ7 or KVMmon our choice :)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

JabJab said: I really wish they would list all the 'affected' services - I have no idea what I have and where, need to figure out which server is going offline for few hours :P

I really wish so too :smile: Someone hasn't been getting a lot of sleep.
    It'll be updated on the network issue page (edit: this information was already in the network issue page, but it would have been ideal if it was included as usual in the e-mail as well.)

It is important to note that this is only currently for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1. We are phasing out two of our oldest servers that need to be phased out in any case. We have not decided to follow this same plan for all nodes, yet.

Thanked by 3titus uptime FrankZ
  • Seattle VM's also affected:

[IMPORTANT] Scheduled Migration/Upgrade for your Cloud Service (Seattle)
    Scheduled time:

Your service is scheduled to be migrated on October 9, 2019. Your service will experience some downtime between 8AM and 5PM, Pacific Standard Time. We recommend you back up your important data before this occurs. While complications are rare, they may occur.

• @VirMach said:

JabJab said: I really wish they would list all the 'affected' services - I have no idea what I have and where, need to figure out which server is going offline for few hours :P

I really wish so too :smile: Someone hasn't been getting a lot of sleep.
    It'll be updated on the network issue page.

It is important to note that this is only currently for CHIOVZ1 and SEAOVZ1. We are phasing out two of our oldest servers that need to be phased out in any case. We have not decided to follow this same plan for all nodes, yet.

Any ETA for NY or GER?

edited October 2019

@titus said:
    Seattle VM's also affected:

[IMPORTANT] Scheduled Migration/Upgrade for your Cloud Service (Seattle)
    Scheduled time:

Your service is scheduled to be migrated on October 9, 2019. Your service will experience some downtime between 8AM and 5PM, Pacific Standard Time. We recommend you back up your important data before this occurs. While complications are rare, they may occur.

This one would be SEAOVZ1. We already have the correctly server labels on the network issue page; the person sending out the e-mails unfortunately left out the specific server name but did add it to our scheduled network issue page.

sanvit said: Any ETA for NY or GER?

We will be scheduling all of that after these two migrations. We're looking to get some feedback from customers first and have a more accurate measurement of how much time it takes to complete them, especially with any possible rare issues requiring manual intervention.

sanvit said: I'm really happy to hear that we're geting migrated to OVZ7 or KVMmon our choice

I do want to stress that we are only electing to this specifically for these two nodes to see the feedback. We have not yet decided to proceed like this for all nodes, so I do not want to give the wrong idea.

Thanked by 3sanvit titus FrankZ
  • VirMach said: I do want to stress that we are only electing to this specifically for these two nodes to see the feedback. We have not yet decided to proceed like this for all nodes, so I do not want to give the wrong idea.

Updated topic and first post, was kinda misleading without this knowledge.
    And for 'affected services' I was more hoping for list of my own services - name from billing + IP or something like that. But I guess WHMCS do not support stuff like that?

JabJab said: And for 'affected services' I was more hoping for list of my own services - name from billing + IP or something like that. But I guess WHMCS do not support stuff like that?

That's a good suggestion. We'll add it to our development queue and see if it's possible.

• should have bought an ovz plan!

Thanked by 2LeonDynamic Edmond
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@cybertech said:
    should have bought an ovz plan!

Exactly what I am thinking right now. Missed that $0.95/yr last BF :(

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @FAT32 said:

@cybertech said:

lets get one this BF!

oh wait ovz no more.

damn.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @cybertech said:

@FAT32 said:

@cybertech said:

lets get one this BF!

oh wait ovz no more.

damn.

Don't worry, KVM

Thanked by 2cybertech FAT32
  • If KVM could stand I'd hump its leg.

• Kudos to VirMach; offering to migrate OVZ6 to KVM at the same price is very generous, and the limitations of their "KVM-Lite" are not onerous.

Thanked by 2FrankZ benj0x
  • What LET user's care about:

pricing will remain the same

• Guys, time to catch some good OVZ from some users that don't read this topic :wink:

• excellent job for Virmach...

• The only reputable ColonCrossing company.

Thanked by 2yoursunny pepa65
  • VirMach said: We'll add it to our development queue and see if it's possible.

[Ticket ID: XXXXX] [Important] Your service ('dialog') has been converted to KVM [New IP Inside].
    Including the name of service in e-mails - that was fast. Thanks!

edited October 2019

Okay guys so a little update before the official e-mails get sent out today. We've pretty much internally confirmed that all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM. Out of the migrations we did, no single person asked for OVZ7.

We're just waiting on new hardware to finish being delivered and set up to schedule migrations more accurately. The migrations we did so far were mostly completed without complications, and any complications that did occur were resolved. One of the only things we are changing is the disk, to the fair use/honor system meaning we'll allocate the amount of disk a service is actually using, plus some extra empty space for growth, and then give people the option to increase their disk size in increments as it's actually utilized. We'll still guarantee up to the amount of disk space you originally had and we're still ordering enough hardware to cover all the disk, should every single customer decide to increase their disk size to the maximum. We'd just be doing that to subsidize some of the significantly increased costs on our end by potentially using a small portion of the disk for new services.

Overall we're pretty excited to be able to move everyone over to KVM for free.

And of course, if anyone is not happy, we can provide a pro-rated refund and immediate cancellation (but we bet a lot of people are about to get a pretty sweet deal. No one's taken us up on this offer yet.)

(edit) Oh and the second main thing we are changing is that MOST people will keep the same IP address for their service as well.

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2019

@VirMach said:
    and then give people the option to increase their disk size in increments as it's actually utilized.

What!?

• @VirMach said:
    Okay guys so a little update before the official e-mails get sent out today. We've pretty much internally confirmed that all OpenVZ6 plans will be converted to KVM. Out of the migrations we did, no single person asked for OVZ7.

We're just waiting on new hardware to finish being delivered and set up to schedule migrations more accurately. The migrations we did so far were mostly completed without complications, and any complications that did occur were resolved. One of the only things we are changing is the disk, to the fair use/honor system meaning we'll allocate the amount of disk a service is actually using, plus some extra empty space for growth, and then give people the option to increase their disk size in increments as it's actually utilized. We'll still guarantee up to the amount of disk space you originally had and we're still ordering enough hardware to cover all the disk, should every single customer decide to increase their disk size to the maximum. We'd just be doing that to subsidize some of the significantly increased costs on our end by potentially using a small portion of the disk for new services.

Overall we're pretty excited to be able to move everyone over to KVM for free.

And of course, if anyone is not happy, we can provide a pro-rated refund and immediate cancellation (but we bet a lot of people are about to get a pretty sweet deal. No one's taken us up on this offer yet.)

(edit) Oh and the second main thing we are changing is that MOST people will keep the same IP address for their service as well.

What about vps with really little memory ? It would not be a issues when moved to kvm ? (256MB and under)

edited October 2019

ben47955 said: What about vps with really little memory ? It would not be a issues when moved to kvm ? (256MB and under)

We are adding more memory to these free of charge.

@donli said:

@VirMach said:
    and then give people the option to increase their disk size in increments as it's actually utilized.

What!?

Customers on OpenVZ on average use 20% of their allocated disk space or less. We are ordering hardware that has the entire allocation (100%) of all OpenVZ services, even if it's not utilized. We will give people what they are using (on average 20%) plus more disk space (probably ending up as 30%) with the option to click a button on the service controls page to bring it up, as much as 100% of the initial OpenVZ allocation. This will be based on the honor system, so if you wish, you could allocate all of it even if you're not using it, but we're basically going to ask everyone to please not do this as a courtesy if they're not using it. We won't have any detection system or restrictions that doesn't allow you to allocate more disk space to your service, so again, it's based on the honor system. We do guarantee this disk space (the total initially sold to you), should you ever require it.

It's basically dedicated KVM disk but we're trying to treat it more like how it was before where customers get what they're actually using, without doing thin LVM or anything else.

Thanked by 1benj0x
  • KVMLite will be fun :dizzy:

However same IP addresses is a very nice thing, but I would guess it will include longer downtime for migration?

@JabJab said:
    KVMLite will be fun :dizzy:

However same IP addresses is a very nice thing, but I would guess it will include longer downtime for migration?

In some cases it may, but a lot of our subnets for OpenVZ6 are smaller so we would be able to avoid that.

• Can I have some kind of ETA on this please? The conversion to KVM is also available for the non-CHIOVZ and SEAOVZ servers, right?

sanvit said: Can I have some kind of ETA on this please? The conversion to KVM is also available for the non-CHIOVZ and SEAOVZ servers, right?

We will be converting ALL our OpenVZ nodes. Migrations will begin November 4th and hopefully end by November 30th, barring any complications. This is a huge task for us, so we will keep migration dates on the network issue page and they may be updated. I know it's not ideal, but some of these dates will change. We decided this would work best.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • VirMach said: (edit) Oh and the second main thing we are changing is that MOST people will keep the same IP address for their service as well.

First bullet point from e-mail:

Your's service IPv4 address will change.

Little confusing, but I had like 15 services listed so maybe only few...

• I have just paid one of my invoices. Going to pay another one.

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • Just got an email saying that my service will be migrated. I wonder how my tiny 128MB OVZ VPS will do when it becomes a KVM.

Will you sell these "KVM Lite" services at a cheaper price point than KVMs in the future?

@JabJab said:

VirMach said: (edit) Oh and the second main thing we are changing is that MOST people will keep the same IP address for their service as well.

First bullet point from e-mail:

Your's service IPv4 address will change.

Little confusing, but I had like 15 services listed so maybe only few...

If you receive that version of the e-mail then you're part of the minority where the address will definitely change. If I had to do a quick estimate, I'd say about 10-15% of services will have their IP address changed.

Edmond said: Just got an email saying that my service will be migrated. I wonder how my tiny 128MB OVZ VPS will do when it becomes a KVM.

You'll definitely get more resources. Definitely more memory, and for a lot of these smaller plans we're also giving extra disk space since KVM reserves some.

Edmond said: Will you sell these "KVM Lite" services at a cheaper price point than KVMs in the future?

Yes, these will essentially be very close to the OpenVZ line of services we currently offer. Disk amounts and processing power may or may not be modified. Pricing may or may not be modified.

These haven't come out yet. They won't be that much cheaper than the KVM counterpart but they will obviously not cost the same or more for the same specs as a similar KVM package. They'll also most likely be upgradeable to premium KVM services.

With all that said though, we may or may not discontinue KVM Lite eventually, or they may be restricted to certain servers.

Thanked by 2benj0x Edmond