Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.99€ + 10€ Setup Fee Dedi - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2.99€ + 10€ Setup Fee Dedi

Comments

• has ended......

@ninzo59 Waiting for flash sale kimsufi :D

• @rm_ said:

AlwaysSkint said: Anyone else find the Rescue mode to be 'flaky'? It takes ages to initiate and I needed to use the older Ubuntu release but when I tried to use it for a second time, it wouldn't connect. (I was setting up LVM & mount points etc. due to no ISO installation.)

Yep, none of the OSes I tried worked for rescue mode, it starts to ping, but can never connect on SSH. Not sure about "ages", maybe I should wait longer?

The install system completely ignored my partitioning, I set the root FS to be 10 GB, but it still made it full 931 GB. Now need rescue to correct that. Or I guess can reinstall and fiddle some more with it (such as creating a dummy partition), but still a working rescue would be "nice".

Definitely wait longer. I put my Start-2-S-SATA into rescue and waited for ~1-2h and it just pinged, no SSH access. Left it over night and now I'm able to access the rescue mode.

• Model Family: HGST Travelstar 7K1000
    Device Model: HGST HTS721010A9E630
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 255

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its alive again for 6 hours, but nothing below 10€.

• @d0m1234 said:

@rm_ said:

AlwaysSkint said: Anyone else find the Rescue mode to be 'flaky'? It takes ages to initiate and I needed to use the older Ubuntu release but when I tried to use it for a second time, it wouldn't connect. (I was setting up LVM & mount points etc. due to no ISO installation.)

Yep, none of the OSes I tried worked for rescue mode, it starts to ping, but can never connect on SSH. Not sure about "ages", maybe I should wait longer?

The install system completely ignored my partitioning, I set the root FS to be 10 GB, but it still made it full 931 GB. Now need rescue to correct that. Or I guess can reinstall and fiddle some more with it (such as creating a dummy partition), but still a working rescue would be "nice".

Definitely wait longer. I put my Start-2-S-SATA into rescue and waited for ~1-2h and it just pinged, no SSH access. Left it over night and now I'm able to access the rescue mode.

I thought SYS was a bit grim without a console but this is worse, especially as it's so inconsistent . I cancelled a re-install due to inactivity, after and hour & a half; when I tried again, it completed in about 10 minutes. :-/ At least now, I'm at the cryptsetup stage..

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    I thought SYS was a bit grim without a console but this is worse, especially as it's so inconsistent . I cancelled a re-install due to inactivity, after and hour & a half; when I tried again, it completed in about 10 minutes. :-/ At least now, I'm at the cryptsetup stage..

You got the installer up? Like not the Webinterface Script?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

AlwaysSkint said: I thought SYS was a bit grim without a console but this is worse, especially as it's so inconsistent . I cancelled a re-install due to inactivity, after and hour & a half; when I tried again, it completed in about 10 minutes. :-/ At least now, I'm at the cryptsetup stage..

Reinstall works fine and quickly for me, just the Rescue system never works.

Just reinstalled a few times now, finally to figure out the partitioning which will allow me to do what I want without requiring a rescue boot.

• @webcraft said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

You got the installer up? Like not the Webinterface Script?

Did I mention ISO? :-/

• @rm_ said:
    Reinstall works fine and quickly for me, just the Rescue system never works.

I suspect the provisioning server was on its' knees, with the avalanche of activity yesterday.

• As C2350 is a pretty weak processor I would like it to jump to its turbo mode (1.7 to 2 Ghz on single core) on heavy load but can't seem to figure out if that is working or not. At least /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show any different on a stress test.

Any clues?

• @rm_ said:
    .. just the Rescue system never works.

Try the Ubuntu 14.04.4 option and leave it 10-15mins. after a successful ping.

Thanked by 1rm_

akb said: At least /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show any different on a stress test.

Install cpufrequtils and run cpufreq-info. 2.10 GHz working fine on mine in Debian 9.

Thanked by 1akb

Well, some of them, do not boost anymore, you need to reboot them.
    This is one known issue, but there could not be found a fix currently.

May check dat.

Thanked by 1akb
  • @rm_ said:

akb said: At least /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show any different on a stress test.

Install cpufrequtils and run cpufreq-info. 2.10 GHz working fine on mine in Debian 9.

Thanks. Thats the first thing I had tried. Isn't working well on Debian 10:

root@backups:~# cpufreq-info
    cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
    Report errors and bugs to [email protected], please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
      maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
    analyzing CPU 1:
      no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
      maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.

Will dig a bit more.

• @Neoon said:

May check dat.

Thanks for the information. Will try rebooting and if that doesn't solve it, will reinstall with Debian 9 to check if its something OS specific.

edited September 2019

@akb said:

@Neoon said:

May check dat.

Thanks for the information. Will try rebooting and if that doesn't solve it, will reinstall with Debian 9 to check if its something OS specific.

Not that I know, its not OS specific.

Thanked by 1akb

AlwaysSkint said: Try the Ubuntu 14.04.4 option and leave it 10-15mins. after a successful ping.

Thanks, indeed, "only" took 6 minutes and then it worked.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @Neoon said:
    Not that I know, its not OS specific.

You are probably right. Instead of replacing the OS on disk, I just now used the rescue mode to test it on Ubuntu 14, 16 & 18 with same results. It just isn't working. Could it be disabled in the BIOS? But a Intel tool i7z (though not meant for this CPU) tells me otherwise (TURBO ENABLED on 2 Cores):

Socket-0 [num of cpus 2 physical 2 logical 2] 1,
    Socket-1 [num of cpus 0 physical 0 logical 0] 
    GUI has been Turned ON
    i7z DEBUG: Single Socket Detected
    i7z DEBUG: In i7z Single_Socket()
    i7z DEBUG: guessing Nehalem
    Cpu speed from cpuinfo 1745.00Mhz
    cpuinfo might be wrong if cpufreq is enabled. To guess correctly try estimating via tsc
    Linux's inbuilt cpu_khz code emulated now
    True Frequency (without accounting Turbo) 1745 MHz
      CPU Multiplier 21x || Bus clock frequency (BCLK) 83.10 MHz

Socket [0] - [physical cores=2, logical cores=2, max online cores ever=2]
      TURBO ENABLED on 2 Cores, Hyper Threading OFF
      Max Frequency without considering Turbo 1828.10 MHz (83.10 x [22])
      Max TURBO Multiplier (if Enabled) with 1/2/3/4 Cores is  0x/0x/0x/0x
      Real Current Frequency 1745.18 MHz [83.10 x 21.00] (Max of below)

edited September 2019

akb said: But a Intel tool i7z (though not meant for this CPU) tells me otherwise (TURBO ENABLED on 2 Cores):

Run this: dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 | md5sum

How much MB/sec do you get? 230...240 = turbo working, 200 or less = not working.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint johnfear
  • @rm_ said:
    Run this: dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=2048 | md5sum

How much MB/sec do you get? 230...240 = turbo working, 200 or less = not working.

Not working : ( Always 196 MB/s

• No one is interested in Atom ones? :)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited September 2019

150 packets transmitted, 3 received, 98% packet loss, time 152490ms

Grr. Yet another couple of hours wasted; another rebuild required.
    Did I say that I hate not having a console?
    It's becoming tiresome.. all I did was to add and LVM partition and split it up. Previous cryptsetup left me in a non-bootable state, so I guess I'll scrap that idea.
    Perhaps best to stick to the SYS ARM. :-(

Anyone know what's with the crap about no separate var partition? (Not that I'd want it as a primary, just a logical one in LVM)

• rm_ said: Install cpufrequtils and run cpufreq-info. 2.10 GHz working fine on mine in Debian 9.

That's interesting. I thought all Online.net SC/XC 2016 derived servers (Atom C2350 and Atom C2750 with 16GB RAM) were running off a custom BIOS, so cpufreq didn't work. I'm getting the same as @akb with cpufreq-info on Debian 10. Your MD5 speed test yields 230MB/s for me (C2350).

They do run some customized BIOS, and there's a model number (from dmidecode):

BIOS Information
            Vendor: coreboot
            Version: ADI_SILVERSHADOW-01.00.00.05-nodebug
            Release Date: 02/01/2017
    Base Board Information
            Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
            Product Name: 0K8Y0N

And the CPU on mine is C2338, not C2350.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Anyone getting poor I/O speeds in Intel C2350 server?

• DwayneDwayne Member
    edited September 2019

Got the same CPU, board and BIOS as @rm_ and cpufreq-info is working for me on Debian 10. I am getting 230+ MB/s when running the md5sum benchmark test posted earlier and disk I/O is around 100 MiB/s on the 1.99 server.

mtsbatalha said: Anyone getting poor I/O speeds in Intel C2350 server?

If you mean 80 MB/sec SSD speeds, then yes it has been posted before.

• @rm_ said:

Yes. I posted a bensh quote a few pages earlier. Slow SSD speeds for me

• @rm_ said:

I'm getting 50MB /sec in my one. :(

• @mtsbatalha said:
    Anyone getting poor I/O speeds in Intel C2350 server?

I'm getting 40MB/s on my 1TB SATA - Only 900 Power on hours and no SMART errors after Short & Extended testing.

Also disk running at 70c idle! Fun!