Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REQ: Lowspecs / SG / +IPv6 / 100 GB traffic / reliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

REQ: Lowspecs / SG / +IPv6 / 100 GB traffic / reliable

Looking for a very reliable (uptime) vps in SG with relatively low specs:

• 1cpu
  • 128/256mb RAM
  • 5 gb disk
  • max 100gb asian traffic required (very little int)
  • need ipv6 and ipv4
  • incredible good uptime
  • less than 5usd - else I can go to vultr :D

Thanks in advance

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

IndoVirtue @Melita - https://indovirtue.com/budget-singapore-ssd-vps
    ExtraVM @MikeA - https://extravm.com/singapore-kvm-vps.html (The first plan is actually $3.5/m)

Unfortunately @HostDoc doesn't provide IPv6 yet for their SG server

Thanked by 1protocols
  • ovh cloud,€2.99/month,2GB ram,1TB traffic

• thanks @FAT32 - unfortunately same price as digitalocean/vultr, so would rather prefer them.

@zhujiwiki - thanks, was wanting to use them, but for their asia offering they don't allow non-asian users.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@protocols said:
    thanks FAT32 - unfortunately same price as digitalocean/vultr, so would rather prefer them.

ExtraVM is selling at $3.5/m which is lower than $5/m.
    In addition, Indovirtue should be cheaper when you pay quarterly.

Thanked by 1protocols
  • If your traffic target is mainly China, you can consider Alibabacloud. It offers CN2 networks at incredibly low prices, about $2.5/m, 1tb/30mbps.

But they do not seem to provide ipv6 network.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2019

protocols said: for their asia offering they don't allow non-asian users.

They should, you just have to sign up at the appropriate website. Don't go via https://www.ovh.com/asia/, try https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/ instead. Pretty sure there's no geographic limitation on where you can create VMs depending on your account locality. And it seems now they also offer $35 free credit there.

Actually try if you can register on https://www.ovh.com/fr/public-cloud/ first, there you will get it for 3 EUR, not 3.5 USD, the former is cheaper at the moment.

Thanked by 1protocols
  • Thanks so much @rm_ - you were right! Just had to signup over your link and it works.

Will use ovh - thanks sorted!

• edited September 2019

If you are willing to use NAT IP v4, you could use Mr.VM NAT VPS @mikho.. they include 1 dedicated IP v6 with 4 USD/year for 128 MB ram..

Thanked by 1mikho
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@chocolateshirt said:
    If you are willing to use NAT IP v4, you could use Mr.VM NAT VPS @mikho.. they include 1 dedicated IP v6 with 4 USD/year for 128 MB ram..

It is actually /80 ipv6.
    The rest is true :)

Thanks for the mention.

• You may want to check ITLDC: https://itldc.com/ru/datacenter/sg1-sin/

There aren't any current specials that I know of, but their 3.49 Euro server should likely fit your needs.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• thanks @TheLinuxBug will actually give it a shot. OVH is really nice and has all the locations I need, but unfortunately their IPv6 is not working sigh

@chocolateshirt not sure what NAT IP means in this case?

TheLinuxBug said: You may want to check ITLDC:

He "may" "want" to? For what definition of "want" or "may"?

Thanked by 2protocols uptime
  • @protocols said:
    thanks @TheLinuxBug will actually give it a shot. OVH is really nice and has all the locations I need, but unfortunately their IPv6 is not working sigh

Have you tried manually adding it from their docs? https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/vps/configuring-ipv6/

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

v6 definitely works in SG on OVH

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @HyperK9 - those are setup guides for VPS. Where do I get the IPv6 Gateway for cloud - its not possible to get via API and they are not shown in the panel.

@MikeA whats SG? I am using public cloud...

@protocols said:
    @HyperK9 - those are setup guides for VPS. Where do I get the IPv6 Gateway for cloud - its not possible to get via API and they are not shown in the panel.

@MikeA whats SG? I am using public cloud...

Singapore.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @MikeA I don't think there is a difference in region, I tried it with UK + US, same issue.

Can you confirm please IPv6 is working with public cloud - and did you have to do any manual setup? If so, what did you do? The posted link does not help me because the IPv6 gateway is not visible from UI.

• corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited September 2019

+1 ExpertVM, unless if you really need ipv6 only VM then go for MrVM, last uptime on my NAT VM is 87 days and running about nine month already,...

edited September 2019

protocols said: The posted link does not help me because the IPv6 gateway is not visible from UI.

So you do have your assigned IP at least? Then it should be working. It could be they want you to use the gateway that is provided via Route Advertisements. Install the ndisc6 package and run rdisc6 eth0 (or whatever is your network interface) to see if there are any. (And post them here).

Thanked by 1protocols
  • Yes, IPv6 is "added" by default with public cloud. I don't even think you can disable it. But they just haven't added it to the cloud-init/cfg which is a shame.

On a fresh ubuntu 18.04 instance:

ubuntu@s1-2-uk1:~$ sudo rdisc6 ens3
    Soliciting ff02::2 (ff02::2) on ens3...
    Timed out.
    Timed out.
    Timed out.
    No response.

Not sure if that output helps?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2019

@rm_ said:

TheLinuxBug said: You may want to check ITLDC:

He "may" "want" to? For what definition of "want" or "may"?

I actually have a VM there, they are pretty up front about traffic (or at least I remember it being such when I ordered) but the gist was international bandwidth will be 10Mbit and local traffic will be up to gigabit.

To give you an idea..

Download speed from CacheFly: 19.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.04MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 648KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 992KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Fremont, CA: 928KB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 711KB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 752KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 15.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 442KB/s

You will notice 'CacheFly' and 'Softlayer, Singapore' both have gigabit connectivity but everything else stays about 10Mbit. If I had other servers to test in Singapore / Asia I would include them, but I don't really have much in the form of download tests for Asian providers.

As the OP said he was specifically looking for Singapore / Asian local traffic and not international traffic, I figured this may work out for him/her at the price point, as it was less than $5 and provides 'unmetered' Singapore based traffic per month, as requested.

So, to come full circle, while this may not be a product that works great for everyone, as the OP stated their use case was more specific to Asian traffic, they 'may want' to see if it works for them.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1uptime
    edited September 2019

protocols said: Not sure if that output helps?

It does help to show that there are no RAs coming. Unless you have ICMP closed off by the firewall on IPv6?

There are basically only two ways of setting up the default gateway on IPv6: automatically from RAs, or adding it manually. If you are sure there is no gateway IP anywhere in the panel to set up manual, then there should have been these RAs. Maybe the router which is supposed to send them is down or something. Try contacting their support.

All in all, since you even have your v6 in the panel, IPv6 absolutely should be working, it's not like "oh it's cloud so IPv6 won't work".

• @TheLinuxBug fully agree. I really only need it for Asia+Australia traffic. Thats why I am actually giving them a shot. IPv6 was not auto-configured but the panel gave enough info to set it up manually (IP + netmask + gateway). And its working!

@rm_

If you are sure there is no gateway IP

100%. I hovered over every icon to make sure its not somehow hidden. Yes, I could start guessing the gateway IP - but surely thats not a good user experience?

it's not like "oh it's cloud so IPv6 won't work".

nobody said that. However, the reality is: their cloud offering is relatively new and it they might be using a different configuration/infrastructure than the VPS. I have been using OVH (on/off) for over 10 years. VPS and Dedicated - I never had issues with IPv6, and they have been offering it from very early years.

But with their public cloud its unfortunately a disappointing setup.

Try contacting their support.

Have done of course. Was just curious because it seems every person in this thread has it successfully running so just wanted to know what I am doing wrong :D :P

Most cloud providers I have worked with will auto-configure IPv6 if enabled: digitalocean, vultr, ionos, enterprise clouds (aws/gcloud/azure) anyways. I expect this to happen, as with cloud I do not want to ideally ssh and configure them, but they should have the expected state after launching them via api.

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited September 2019

Probably a repeat post. sorry.

edited September 2019

@protocols said:
    @MikeA I don't think there is a difference in region, I tried it with UK + US, same issue.

Can you confirm please IPv6 is working with public cloud - and did you have to do any manual setup? If so, what did you do? The posted link does not help me because the IPv6 gateway is not visible from UI.

Don't know, I don't use their public cloud. I just know IPv6 works fine on their dedicated servers there. Never had any issue.