Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone offering EPYC 2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone offering EPYC 2?

AMD EPYC 2nd gen. has been launched. Which VPS/bare metal provider that already offers this monster?

Thanked by 1sureiam

Comments

• Why do I have the impression that you're pointing a gun at us?

• Not likely chips are on shortage AMD is focusing on pumping 3900x out

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@AlexJones said:
    Not likely chips are on shortage AMD is focusing on pumping 3900x out

Doubt it. Server market for Epyc brings a lot of profit.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

We've just asked for an offer from a hardware provider.

• masedi said: AMD EPYC 2nd gen. has been launched. Which VPS/bare metal provider that already offers this monster?

LET mostly uses older servers for economy, including for VPS hosting, but you'll start seeing Epyc 2 at bigger providers (I think OVH has been mentioned by name in AMD presentations) soon. If you just want current generation Zen, @MikeA has some Ryzen 3900X hosted VPS that are very speedy.

@willie said:
    If you just want current generation Zen, @MikeA has some Ryzen 3900X hosted VPS that are very speedy.

Best build purchase I made in a long time, reliable and fast.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Scaleway do offer AMD EPYC 7401p 24 cores with 256GB of ram for 111 EUR with their public beta program

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@msallak1 said:
    Scaleway do offer AMD EPYC 7401p 24 cores with 256GB of ram for 111 EUR with their public beta program

i don't think 7401p is a 2nd gen CPU but it's pretty good

• @MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

Correction: Not likely currently. 8core epyc cpus are $500 on newegg with the price going up to $7,000
    3900x in low stock selling for around $900 ATM on amazon and newegg

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@AlexJones said:

@MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

Correction: Not likely currently. 8core epyc cpus are $500 on newegg with the price going up to $7,000

The 3900X retails for $500, don't pay anywhere near $900.

• @MrRadic said:

@AlexJones said:

@MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

I am simply demonstrating that the chips are in high demand and low stock

@AlexJones Yeah but AMD doesn't get the profit from a $900 3900X when the individual sellers are price gouging. Servers bring more profit, just look at Intel.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@AlexJones said:

@MrRadic said:

@AlexJones said:

@MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

I am simply demonstrating that the chips are in high demand and low stock

For sure, AMD definitely underestimated demand for it.

• @MikeA said:

@willie said:
    If you just want current generation Zen, @MikeA has some Ryzen 3900X hosted VPS that are very speedy.

How are the temps with your average and peak loads a month after entering production?

edited September 2019

@vimalware said:

@MikeA said:

@willie said:

How are the temps with your average and peak loads a month after entering production?

I can't check readings, doesn't work with things like lm-sensors on CentOS 7 kernel for the CPU. But I think when I tested it originally it was around 40 to 50°C and around 70 to 80°C under load. This is about the same as some of the i9-9900K's I have that run game servers. It can be cooler, I do have some i9's that run like 40°C under load but those are pre-built with much better cooling. There's no throttling, of course.

Thanked by 2vimalware coreflux
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

Epyc is he gets but you can’t compare it with the soho versions they put out to retail. Why would anyone want a soho in a server anyway?

• This is what my free Oracle Cloud VM uses.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@ViridWeb said:
    i don't think 7401p is a 2nd gen CPU but it's pretty good

Yes!

After all this is LET the LE standing for "low end".

It's funny how many people can't resist the urge to have high numbers (performance) for very low numbers (price), no matter whether they actually need it.

Of bloody course a 1st gen Epyc is a great CPU and easily performant enough for most LETters.

• The 7401P is definitely a fast cpu but the 3900X (because of higher clock and improved architecture partly compensating for the fewer cores) isn't that much slower, and it's much more cost effective. The 3950X will be even closer. The 3900X actually has much higher passmark than the 7401P though I find that a bit suspicious.

edited September 2019

@willie said:
    The 7401P is definitely a fast cpu but the 3900X (because of higher clock and improved architecture partly compensating for the fewer cores) isn't that much slower, and it's much more cost effective. The 3950X will be even closer. The 3900X actually has much higher passmark than the 7401P though I find that a bit suspicious.

Epyc has more features specific to server uses.

• MikeA said: This is about the same as some of the i9-9900K's I have that run game servers

first sorry for intervention , but could you elaborate what's need to start similar server ! I know their is gaming control panel but it limited to few game , my games servers experience back to CS 1.6 where I have to launch the game server tool and invite the others .

• Looked into EPYC, really nice, but would require quite a bit of R&D. Supermicro seems to have some good options

@MicroSerum said:
    Looked into EPYC, really nice, but would require quite a bit of R&D. Supermicro seems to have some good options

Other manufacturers/OEMs probably have better compatibility than SuperMicro for Epyc.

• I want to see if AMD has improved since they lost the market to Intel.

• @JustPfff said:

MikeA said: This is about the same as some of the i9-9900K's I have that run game servers

first sorry for intervention , but could you elaborate what's need to start similar server ! I know their is gaming control panel but it limited to few game , my games servers experience back to CS 1.6 where I have to launch the game server tool and invite the others .

You're going to have to elaborate more on what you mean for me to help you