Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019
  • It never would have occurred to me that booting from block storage had any chance of working. Rchurch sounds pretty whacky either way. I think key900 is right and he/she should cancel and find something else. With this kind of product you have to follow the beaten path when you use it. If you do anything else, you are on your own.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

His PMSing didn't help, either.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • Sometimes we need to take a step back and put things in proper perspective. A $7 VPS with 3TB of storage isn't suitable for critical business use. It's pretty disposable so plan accordingly.

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2019

@jbuggie said:
    A $7 VPS with 3TB of storage isn't suitable for critical business use.

I think it can be, up to a point - as part of a redundant array of inexpensive servers.

But as far as a hyper-polished provisioning and support system goes ... that tends to cost more than $7 per month. So far I'm happy to have the lowend letbox option "as is" - and seems likely that they'll be continuing to make incremental improvements.

(I've had to reschedule my deep dive into the @rchurch scenario for whenever I find the spoons for it tomorrow or maybe the next day I don't know. I suspect I appreciated this drama "for the lulz" a bit more than I would expect @key900 to want to see in their sales thread though...)

Thanked by 2dahartigan ITLabs
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited October 2019

@uptime said:

@jbuggie said:
    A $7 VPS with 3TB of storage isn't suitable for critical business use.

redundant array of inexpensive servers.

I love it! That nicely describes the perfect LET setup lol

Thanked by 3uptime FrankZ ITLabs
  • Sorry I'm newbie here.

At a price of $7 it's worth it :)

See statistics on cloudflare, can handle millions of traffic per day on my project, I'm happy with this. Previously on $15 (plan 3GB/1vCPU ), my VPS often restarted itself when traffic was high, and now my old vps only used for backups if it fails here.

Do not put eggs in the same basket!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • What I see here is lots of clueless users making excuses for an even more clueless tech support.

@willie You can rest assured that the Letbox system can boot from block storage, because I have done it before on the Letbox system, and that is not my issue with Letbox.

My question is a simple one - Will the Reinstall from ISO erase the partition information on the NVMe disk

The simple inability to answer this question has led @key900, @dahartigan and a few others to make fabricated claims about I am trying to accomplish.

The issue of whether they are offering $7 for 3Tb is absolutely irrelevant. If you are installing from a template you expect data to be wiped, you don't expect an ISO to wipe data whether on NVMe or elsewhere when it says System Rescue CD. KVM is KVM everywhere and only template installation is expected to wipe partitions, and even then, only on the /dev/vda partition. All the systems I have used will not touch the block storage automatically. It has to be manually from the installation running on the /dev/vda partition or an ISO.

If you forget the root password and you want to chroot the system to fix it, you need to use an ISO and if this wipes out partition information, then it is a flawed design.

The main issue is a technically clueless sales representative wilfully and unethically misrepresenting what a customer is trying to achieve and bunch of smug, self-appointed idiots chiming in, cheering and defending his behaviour.

• If you want AWS level support, sign up with them. Good luck with your budget.

• This rchurch guy drives the wrong way down the highway and yells at all the "idiots" driving towards him...then blames the car when he realizes what he's done.

• @rchurch said:
    What I see here is lots of clueless users making excuses for an even more clueless tech support.

@willie You can rest assured that the Letbox system can boot from block storage, because I have done it before on the Letbox system, and that is not my issue with Letbox.

My question is a simple one - Will the Reinstall from ISO erase the partition information on the NVMe disk

The simple inability to answer this question has led @key900, @dahartigan and a few others to make fabricated claims about I am trying to accomplish.

The issue of whether they are offering $7 for 3Tb is absolutely irrelevant. If you are installing from a template you expect data to be wiped, you don't expect an ISO to wipe data whether on NVMe or elsewhere when it says System Rescue CD. KVM is KVM everywhere and only template installation is expected to wipe partitions, and even then, only on the /dev/vda partition. All the systems I have used will not touch the block storage automatically. It has to be manually from the installation running on the /dev/vda partition or an ISO.

If you forget the root password and you want to chroot the system to fix it, you need to use an ISO and if this wipes out partition information, then it is a flawed design.

The main issue is a technically clueless sales representative wilfully and unethically misrepresenting what a customer is trying to achieve and bunch of smug, self-appointed idiots chiming in, cheering and defending his behaviour.

Mate so what if ur right u just being a dick pissing ppl off for just few dollas u get 6000 geekbench points and 2.0GB/s NVMe and 10G prem psychz connection and why u gotta pick on what is this partition?

Are you alright mate? Do you have a friend even?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Anyone using Plex on this?

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited October 2019

@seraphkz said:
    Anyone using Plex on this?

I do and it works so well But little to no transcoding (1080p only)

• @seraphkz said:

Using jellyfin (free alternative to plex) and works great for streaming

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited October 2019

@seraphkz said:

Yes, with about 4TB of media. Minimal transcoding, but when it does it works beautifully. Only complaint is a couple of dropouts, but I use nginx and cloudflare in my mix which is still slightly buggy and is possibly the cause.

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

• @dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

Yes, with about 4TB of media. Minimal transcoding, but when it does it works beautifully. Only complaint is a couple of dropouts, but I use nginx and cloudflare in my mix which is still slightly buggy and is possibly the cause.

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

Passing all traffic through CF?

• @cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

Yep, I originally did that to ensure premium routing when I had plex hosted with hetzer, but since LA is ideal for me I could probably switch back to direct.

edited October 2019

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

Yep, I originally did that to ensure premium routing when I had plex hosted with hetzer, but since LA is ideal for me I could probably switch back to direct.

I see, but it's quite big bandwidth streaming, CF does not block it?

And yes LA is good :tongue: now Psychz seems to be best compared to other LA

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited October 2019

@willie,@uptime, @dahartigan, @angstrom etc.

I have a simple question for you. What is wrong with expecting people to have a rudimentary understanding of the stuff they are selling? What is wrong with a customer being angry when a company representative wilfully and dishonestly misrepresents an issue as being the customers fault?

All @key900 had to do at the very beginning was to ask me for my ticket number and escalate it. No he couldn't do that he had to come and misrepresent the issue.

The simple fact is these guys know they have a problem in that department. Instead of sorting out the matter once and for all they attack their customers instead, and a lot of Lowendtalkers have a compulsive need to defend their unprofessional behaviour.

I don't know whose behaviour is more amusing, that of Letbox or their apologists in this threads.

I asked a simple question expecting only @key900 or Letbox representatives to respond, expecting that Lowendtalkers could understand the need for them to clarify the issue in a simple, uncluttered thread.

To your compulsive lowendtalker that was like waving a red flag to a bull. These guys couldn't just stay way. Next time I have and issue with a provider, I will place a notice like this at the top and wait for the drama to unfold.

Notice to other users: If you are not a @company rep or you are not a customer who is willing to run the necessary tests on a number of @company hosts just stay out if this thread, and thank you in advance.

I mean if a company has the finances to build a fast network, purchase some powerful servers and SAN storage, why can't they configure stuff properly once and for all, put the necessary documentation in place and let things run automatically?

It looks like a well resourced crew has succumbed to an LET mentality, even when they have the ability to raise their game to a whole new level. Guys ought to learn from @Francisco, @AnthonySmith et al.

It is okay to root for the real or imagined underdog, but it is not unreasonable to expect the underdog to express some thoughtfulness.

I think all in all I have done Letbox a favour, because more technically savvy people can now sign up to Letbox knowing that they can fix certain kinds of problems themselves without having to depend on clueless Letbox support bots.

• @dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

Disabling CloudFlare and using 1.1.1.1 WARP+ should get you better routing (on mobile)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

I see, but it's quite big bandwidth streaming, CF does not block it?

And yes LA is good :tongue: now Psychz seems to be best compared to other LA

Never had an issue with around 1tb/month on the busiest month. Obviously don't cache video with cloudflare or it ends bad.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

Disabling CloudFlare and using 1.1.1.1 WARP+ should get you better routing (on mobile)

In AU they just use Vocus for transit so it's a bit average.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @trewq said:

@sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

I'm with Exetel FTTN and I noticed an improvement during peak when it came to hetzner specifically for some reason. CF in the mix improved things considerably. At this stage, I'm not certain I need to use CF anymore - one less moving part in the mix wouldn't hurt. My direct connection to LetBox in LA is excellent, I can consistently max out my 50/20.

• @trewq said:

@sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

@seraphkz said:

@james50a said:

@seraphkz said:

Looking into this!

It's not about their transit provider (which should matter for the original WARP), it's the argo smart routing that's showing a difference on routing. For me, it gave me steady connection throughout the whole globe.

edited October 2019

Anyone uses Ubuntu 18.04 ISO to install on bbox here? How to retain root user with password? Installer insists on making new user.

Caution: Ubuntu amateur here

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

@FAT32 said:
    TLDR anyone?

I’m aware of that and this reported to the developer.

@cybertech said:
    Yes they may have language barrier, yes they have some templating issues (ipv6 etc) but for their price, they cpu stronk, network solid now with 10G port and a+b power feed.

Good block storage speeds too.

The IPv6 issue should be resolved there is no more automatically IPV6 assignments .

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • tgltgl Member

I wanted to try, but when I heard from @rchurch that reinstalls delete the data... I started to have second thoughts.

• sanvit said: Disabling CloudFlare and using 1.1.1.1 WARP+ should get you better routing (on mobile)

Interesting if CF WARP+ can be used for VPS. I think it is only used for VPN clients

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

@tgl said:
    I wanted to try, but when I heard from @rchurch that reinstalls delete the data... I started to have second thoughts.

Ok but what reinstalling supposed to do?

• @isunbejo said:

sanvit said: Disabling CloudFlare and using 1.1.1.1 WARP+ should get you better routing (on mobile)

Interesting if CF WARP+ can be used for VPS. I think it is only used for VPN clients

Nah, I was talking about mobile (client side). You could in theory use Argo smart routing, but that'll cost you per gigabyte.

@cybertech said:
    Anyone uses Ubuntu 18.04 ISO to install on bbox here? How to retain root user with password? Installer insists on making new user.

Caution: Ubuntu amateur here

Create a user, set root password (sudo passwd), and edit sshd_config to allow root login. I'd personally recommend you to use a normal user, and use sudo (or sudo -i to log in as root) for security reasons tho.

Thanked by 2isunbejo cybertech