Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for simple cgi-bin to e-mail large files
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for simple cgi-bin to e-mail large files

rcxbrcxb Member
edited September 2019 in Help

I'm looking to self-host a service like dropsend / sendbigfile / innumerable others. I've found all kinds of heavyweight and complex group collaboration platforms that require all kinds of languages, pulling in dozens of libraries, requiring a database server, require registering accounts, etc. That's extreme overkill for the job.

Thousands of people must have put together cgi-bin scripts at various times (not much harder than "hello world") that do what I want... Allowing random users to upload files, and generate a semi-random URL out of it which they can e-mail to a recipient. But I've spent a lot of time looking and haven't found anything close.

Anyone have some pointers? No langugage preference, just so as long as it doesn't require a whole web dev framework and lots of dependencies. Or should I just write one myself? It wouldn't be very polished, but I could have rolled my own in less time than it has taken to look around.

This is for large files inside a private network, where some of the systems don't even have internet access.

Comments

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited September 2019

Generating a perma-URL typically involves a database, even if it's SQlite.

I just use the share feature on my Seafile instance (replaced Dropbox sync 100%)
    It also lets me create upload-only landing pages for certain folders, where I collect event photographs and media from unregistered family/friends via secret URL.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I've given this decision some thought for a couple years.
    Ergo, I settled on a project that is actively developed and patched, rather than hobby vaporware on github.

1GB ram should do it for Community edition .

I have no experience with Nextcloud. It's quite well-liked too.

Edit: None of the above do the task of letting random internet people spam unverified email addresses with links.

• So basically 2shared.com?

• @yokowasis said:
    So basically 2shared.com?

A cloud service isn't going to work at all. This is for large files inside a private network, where some of the systems don't even have internet access.

• Do it yourself ! Its literally less than 100 lines of code.

• rcxb said: I've spent a lot of time looking and haven't found anything close.

@rcxb - might be helpful to also now spend just a little more time here to list which scripts you have looked at so far, where you found them, and why they are not suitable for your purpose. Otherwise you and the collective readership here could spend lots more time discussing suggestions that you've already seen ... :neutral:

without any further details about where you've looked already, I would expect that "DIY" may be the best suggestion by default (if you've really spent that much time already beating the bushes for prospective solutions). Maybe take the simplest thing that almost works for you from your search so far and (assuming it is open source) make some changes to add the extra features you need?

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • I don't understand what you are asking: what is the purpose of the semi-random url, instead of just using the filename? If a client has no internet connection, how can it get to the file--just over a LAN? Same thing for uploading.

There should not be any database needed. Just assign the url (random string) when the file is uploaded, and use that string as the stored filename. So you are using the file system as a db, in effect.

Thanked by 2vimalware angstrom
  • Nextcloud is great but probably heavier than you're looking for.

• @willie said:
    I don't understand what you are asking: what is the purpose of the semi-random url, instead of just using the filename?

Avoids naming collisions, and minimal security, as it prevents people browsing for files they weren't sent a link to.

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited September 2019

The user accounts and passwords they mention is not something I want, and their demo/website not working is discouraging. Still, sounds promising. I'll have to try it.

• rcxb said: Avoids naming collisions, and minimal security, as it prevents people browsing for files they weren't sent a link to.

So you want a pastebin but for file uploads. Hmm, What about expiring/deleting the files? Just age them out after a week or whatever?

• @willie said:
    What about expiring/deleting the files? Just age them out after a week or whatever?

That's most definitely part of the plan, but doesn't solve the problem.

• rcxbrcxb Member
    edited September 2019

I went with FileChucker. Took some work to strip out all the undesirable features, and force each uploaded file into randomly named folders, etc, etc, but looks like it will work.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs