Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV6 Only VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV6 Only VPS?

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited February 2012 in General

I had a couple of users ask if they could get a lower price by changing their server to IPV6. We don't currently offer it on our servers, but we'll have it next month some time. Assuming that happens do you think there is a demand for IPV6 only VPS and what kind of a discount would you expect to receive assuming you bought one?

Comments

• We keep our ipv6-only offer out of stock because we used to get too many people ordering it "because it's cheap" and then complaining "the internet is not working".

• hmmm... might put a warning label on it or something WARNING - IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IPv6 IS DO NOT PURCHASE! - NO REFUNDS

something like that...

• @BlueVM said: what kind of a discount would you expect to receive assuming you bought one?

Equal to the price of ipv4 address.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • I would definitely like it!

• @BlueVM we already have similar warning - didn't help much - This VPS has only IPv6 addresses, please order only if you understand and accept the limitations

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

I think it is entirely customer's fault if they order something they cant use.
    I would put that warning and when they complain, offer them IPv4 too at double the price, either they take it or leave it, no refund.
    Also, a link to some document that explains what IPv6 is in ToS or in the sign-up form will surely help not only reduce this kind of orders, but also educate ppl.
    I know for sure, that, if I make a mistake and order that, will make damn sure that I learn how to use it and really use it in the end. Not everyone will do that, but if they just leave, you keep the money. In case of a dispute should be easy to prove you offered all info about the offer.
    Yes, discount should be about 1 dollar, IMO.
    M

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited February 2012

@rds100 - Mostly Chinese/Asian/non-English speaking people I'm sure... Not being racist, but most of my charge backs come from people in an Asian country who don't understand English and feel I should help them with everything. If they understand English I usually don't have problems with clients.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Justin, I am a happy customer of yours !
    Cant those chargebacks be disputed ? I mean show you explained in the offer everything and the customer still expects different behaviour ? And why would they chargeback 1.5 dollars, for example...
    M

• @BlueVM mostly yes.
    @Maounique the reason for such chargebacks is that the credit card companies/banks make more profit when there is a chargeback. So they encourage chargebacks, even unjustified ones.

• We get about 2 - 5 charge backs a month... usually its disgruntled clients who thought they could abuse our service, setup something they couldn't or expected us to setup something for them. Unfortunately with paypal when people file disputes under $50, they are usually granted without question. We do have a refund policy, but we won't refund for stupid things that the client failed to account for (IE: I can't run this on X amount of ram, so I'll just pull a charge back instead of asking hey can I get another 50 megs for like $0.20?)

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

@BlueVM said: Unfortunately with paypal when people file disputes under $50, they are usually granted without question.

I have to beg to differ, sir. In the past three years, we've lost one chargeback/dispute. But, I also keep extensive records, and am able to give PayPal very accurate reports on the situation in fine detail.

• Last time I checked with ARIN IPv6 blocks per year were more expensive than a V4 block if you can get it. Cheaper to just get a SWIP block from another provider I think.

• We provide paypal with the users address provided, the IP they signed up with, the email they used, the time they purchased the product, any other remarks from the user and what if any use they had of their service. most of the time we simply refund rather than get into a "pissing contest" with the user... However if they legitimately harmed our services or did something to cost us money we fight to the end. We haven't lost one of those disputes yet...

Not sure how much IPV6 are but they can't be that expensive if companies are offering 64 of them to a client upon request ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FRCorey said: Last time I checked with ARIN IPv6 blocks per year were more expensive than a V4 block if you can get it. Cheaper to just get a SWIP block from another provider I think.

Kinda but not quite. With ARIN you pay the more expensive of the two.

So, if you have a /20 of IPV4 and a /32 of IPV6, you'd pay only for the cost of the IPV4 addresses (which is $2000?).

Francisco

• Interesting, but a weird way of billing... I mean obviously unless your doing something off the all different from most providers your gonna have way more IPV4 than IPV6.

• @BlueVM said: most providers your gonna have way more IPV4 than IPV6.

Nope. I think they pretty much want to toss out a lot of IPv6 so people will start making the change. It's cheaper and in less demand. People want IPv4 more due to compatibility and familiarity. They give you a lot of IPv6 when you buy IPv4s don't they? I think BuyVM gives like 16 IPv6 with each VPS. I might be mistaken, ask @Francisco.

• We don't have any XD we're waiting on our DCs to upgrade unfortunately.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Naruto said: Nope. I think they pretty much want to toss out a lot of IPv6 so people will start making the change. It's cheaper and in less demand. People want IPv4 more due to compatibility and familiarity. They give you a lot of IPv6 when you buy IPv4s don't they? I think BuyVM gives like 16 IPv6 with each VPS. I might be mistaken, ask @Francisco.

Not with ARIN. You have to apply for a subnet of IPV6 and pay if you don't have anything else.

They give you a /32 to start which is 2^96 total addresses.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited February 2012

@BlueVM said: most providers your gonna have way more IPV4 than IPV6.

Hardly, I have just over 10k IPv4 and bazillions of IPv6. I am sitting much better than a lot, not all, on IPv4, but most providers are starving for IPv4

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • I have one /64 IPv6 block on my dedicated server (Kimsufi 2G from OVH)