Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows - Kimsufi - QEMU - Fresh Install - (probably will work for others too)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows - Kimsufi - QEMU - Fresh Install - (probably will work for others too)

plumbergplumberg Veteran
edited September 2019 in Tutorials

Hello, I could not find any "templates" for Windows Server 2019, so decided to try setting up the same on Kimsufi via QEMU... Also, the fact that it is always good to do a fresh clean install so you can be sure it is as per your specifications. I will try to update this with screenshots when time permits. I have got this working from scouring the internet for multiple solutions and finally was able to complete it successfully.

Steps are for Kimsufi only, it may work for other providers too...

• Boot your server to the "rescue" mode and login with the new credentials received from Kimsufi
  • Download QEMU in temp folder

wget -qO- /tmp https://abcvg.ovh/uploads/need/vkvm-latest.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp

• Download official Windows Server 2019 ISO from Microsoft. This could take a long time depending on your connection
  • You will need to download and keep ready VNC Viewer as you will need to boot from this ISO.

• Open VNC Viewer and keep connection to following :5901 ready

• Run the QEMU with the newly downloaded ISO.

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 10000M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu core2duo,+nx -smp 2 -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /tmp/17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVER_EVAL_x64FRE_en-us.iso -hda /dev/sda -vnc :1 -boot d

• Press any key to boot from the CD/ DVD (as displayed on the screen.

• If you miss the boot selection, you can go back to the rescue system and hit and run the above command again and try to get to the boot selection from DVD.

• Select any option from the OS selection with "Desktop Experience".

• Complete the installation. Warning: This will delete all your information on the server and install a fresh instance of Windows Server 2019 Standard.

• It will probably restart on its own during the installation. This time, you need not select the boot from CD/DVD.

• If all goes well, you will be prompted for setting the Administrator password. Choose one wisely and you will login

• On the Server Manager (that opens up by default). Select "Local Server" from left menu (below Dashboard). Find the option "IE Enhanced Security Configuration" and turn it off temporarily. Else, you will get annoying popups when trying to open a web page

• Go to the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security --> Inbound rules --> Enable "File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)" rule. This will allow us to ping the server and see when it comes online

• Open cmd prompt and disable driver signing and integrity checks

bcdedit /set LOADOPTIONS DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit /set NOINTEGRITYCHECKS ON

• REBOOT ** your system **NOW

• After reboot, Download/ install any browser you want. if you are bold, you will continue using the IE installed by default

• Download/ install 7zip/ any other utility which you can use to unzip files. I prefer 7Zip

• Download and install the network drivers. In my case, I needed Intel 82579V Gigabit Ethernet drivers. However, support for these was removed in recent versions (after 23.5) from Intel.

• So, we need to download an old, but official copy. Here is a direct link:
  • Original page of the drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28416/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-
  • Select version 23.4 or earlier and download if the above link is moved

• Go to the folder where you downloaded the driver package from Intel. Right click on that and extract it.

• Go to \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65

• Backup and create a copy of e1c65x64.inf file

• Open the e1c65x64.inf file in notepad

• Comment all lines by adding ";" under [ControlFlags]

• You need to copy last 4 lines from [Intel.NTamd64.10.0.1] section and paste them in the section [Intel.NTamd64.10.0] towards the end

Please refer to the link at the end to see more about this. I did not get a chance to add screens for this.

• Save the file

• Open cmd

• Go to the folder where you kept this new modified driver file. Run the following:

pnputil -i -a e1c65x64.inf

• This should put a new prompt to "Agree" to the warning about installation of unsigned drivers

• If you do not see this popup, you have missed the earlier step to disable driveer signing / rebooting your server. I have tried this multiple times, and it just works if followed correctly

• Go to Settings --> System --> Remote Desktop and check on "Enable Remote Desktop"

• Reboot your server

Thats it. On your local, ping your kimsufi server.
It should take a couple of minutes before the drivers are installed and server is up and running.

• Consider restoring the driver signing options with bcdedit. I did not as I have COURAGE

I followed the blog at https://blog.dhampir.no/content/the-intel-82579v-on-hyper-v-server-2016

PS: This is my first tutorial, this has worked for me. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Comments

• On my aging KS-1 the rescue environment didn't have enough space. I assume that it's based on RAM as that only as 2G?

• @carp969 said:
    On my aging KS-1 the rescue environment didn't have enough space. I assume that it's based on RAM as that only as 2G?

Hmm. Not sure if the rescue is limited. You can still try.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited October 2019

Followed the guide for a KS-9 that uses intel 82574L drivers which I downloaded from here and specifically this one for Windows 2008 Standard R2
    I went to \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62 and edited e1c62x64.inf according to the guide.
    After editing the file and running pnputil I got a popup warning me if I am sure I want to install the driver and I selected install anyway. Enabled RDP and tried both opening RDP port in firewall and turning it off completely but once I reboot the server back to HDD from kimsufi panel I cannot access my server. Am I missing something about the network drivers still? Any help would be appreciated.

I've noticed that joodle's windows template uses some 2013 network driver and it shows up correctly in device manager as well so I'm not sure whats the problem as the drivers I've downloaded say it supports 82574L
    https://gyazo.com/517745daf967a7f98411ecf6ac289d79
    https://gyazo.com/67b2f01deff5348199ca4b7724d15f3b

• @kalimov622 said:
    Followed the guide for a KS-9 that uses intel 82574L drivers which I downloaded from here and specifically this one for Windows 2008 Standard R2
    I went to \PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62 and edited e1c62x64.inf according to the guide.
    After editing the file and running pnputil I got a popup warning me if I am sure I want to install the driver and I selected install anyway. Enabled RDP and tried both opening RDP port in firewall and turning it off completely but once I reboot the server back to HDD from kimsufi panel I cannot access my server. Am I missing something about the network drivers still? Any help would be appreciated.

I've noticed that joodle's windows template uses some 2013 network driver and it shows up correctly in device manager as well so I'm not sure whats the problem as the drivers I've downloaded say it supports 82574L
    https://gyazo.com/517745daf967a7f98411ecf6ac289d79
    https://gyazo.com/67b2f01deff5348199ca4b7724d15f3b

Maybe try selecting an older version of the driver package and try again? Also, just to confirm, you did restart before the editing the driver file option, correct?

• I did restart before editing the driver file potion. I will try an older version of the driver package and take screenshots this time too, thanks.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • edited October 2019

Does this method work with other linux ISO?
    To get around the issue of needing to "request custom ISO" to be mounted for some VPS providers.

• @greattomeetyou said:
    To get around the issue of needing to "request custom ISO" to be mounted for some VPS providers.

it could.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited October 2019

@plumberg so I got an older version of the drivers, followed all steps, bcdedit then rebooted server.
    Edited the e1c62x64.inf accordingly https://gyazo.com/56fb04edf676c8d67287b5f9b5a4494a
    Executed pnputil command https://gyazo.com/5a9e59fabb3452e78aabf6bb07ec6c9c
    Installed drivers successfully https://gyazo.com/d572b9561632f8b946a65ea7e066e162

Once I reboot the server and trying to boot again from HDD I get no network connection still.

The OS is a clean Windows 2008 Std Edition R2 x64
    Kimsufi KS-9C with 82574L Gigabit Network Connection according to lshw -C network command.

Anyone has any ideas? Or can anyone help out setting a Win 2k8 Std R2 template for kimsufi similar to joodle's one for a fee?

Thanked by 1swi7ch
  • @kalimov622 said:
    @plumberg so I got an older version of the drivers, followed all steps, bcdedit then rebooted server.
    Edited the e1c62x64.inf accordingly https://gyazo.com/56fb04edf676c8d67287b5f9b5a4494a
    Executed pnputil command https://gyazo.com/5a9e59fabb3452e78aabf6bb07ec6c9c
    Installed drivers successfully https://gyazo.com/d572b9561632f8b946a65ea7e066e162

Once I reboot the server and trying to boot again from HDD I get no network connection still.

The OS is a clean Windows 2008 Std Edition R2 x64
    Kimsufi KS-9C with 82574L Gigabit Network Connection according to lshw -C network command.

Anyone has any ideas? Or can anyone help out setting a Win 2k8 Std R2 template for kimsufi similar to joodle's one for a fee?

Any reason why you want to use win2k8 r2 instead of a newer version with better security updates and features?

• The software I use (it's an old software) works best on win2k8 r2.
    For example Joodle's template works just fine when installing it https://mirror.joodle.nl/WS2008R2Standard-Joodle-Template.gz
    Tried exporting the network driver from his template and update driver on my installation but when doing that in QEMU it says the driver is already installed and up to date. I then tried to uninstall network driver and install it manually so 82574L network card shows up but with the yellow triangle and again after I shutdown and boot from HDD there's no network connection

• So I've tried everything and I'm currently stuck with installing the 82574L network drivers for win2k8 r2 on a kimsufi server. Tried editing various files, backing up network drivers from the working windows template and installing them on a fresh one, etc but nothing worked.
    If anyone knows how to fix this I'm willing to pay for the help. Thanks

• Thanks for the guide! I'm unfortunately having some problems with the connection when I boot it on HDD. When I boot it in rescue mode I can both ping it and rdp to it, but when I boot it in normal HDD I can't even ping it?? I've followed the guide completely

• @kalimov622 said:
    So I've tried everything and I'm currently stuck with installing the 82574L network drivers for win2k8 r2 on a kimsufi server. Tried editing various files, backing up network drivers from the working windows template and installing them on a fresh one, etc but nothing worked.
    If anyone knows how to fix this I'm willing to pay for the help. Thanks

Unfortunately I cannot comment on win2kr2. It's too old.

@JapE1337 said:
    Thanks for the guide! I'm unfortunately having some problems with the connection when I boot it on HDD. When I boot it in rescue mode I can both ping it and rdp to it, but when I boot it in normal HDD I can't even ping it?? I've followed the guide completely

What OS are you trying to install?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@greattomeetyou said:

If you have a KVM VPS then you often have the ability to use iPXE during BIOS POST.
    You cannot directly boot an ISO with iPXE but you can load the installer images for various linux distributions with iPXE over the network.
    Could be an alternative.

When you are familiar with iPXE, this snippet may give you some hints how to use it.
    I installed Debian this way on several VPS and also dedicated servers (when you have an ancient IPMI only allowing a virtual floppy disk with iPXE to mount).

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • JapE1337JapE1337 Member
    edited October 2019

@plumberg said:

@JapE1337 said:
    Thanks for the guide! I'm unfortunately having some problems with the connection when I boot it on HDD. When I boot it in rescue mode I can both ping it and rdp to it, but when I boot it in normal HDD I can't even ping it?? I've followed the guide completely

I'm trying to install the Windows Server 2019 you linked to

• @JapE1337 said:

@plumberg said:

@JapE1337 said:

Do you have the same 82579V network card?

• @plumberg said:

@JapE1337 said:

@plumberg said:

@JapE1337 said:

Do you have the same 82579V network card?

I'm not sure. It's a Game-1 server from SoS by I will try to check up on it when I get home

• Thank you I successfully installed the OS, now how can I turn it off? The deactivation button disappeared as soon as I installed the OS.
    Rebooting it keep circling the rescue boot.

• Nevermind, the refreshing page just got me the button back.

• @plumberg

i boot in "rescue" mode ~

/tmp only 3.9GB size

How to increase?

No space to download 2019 ISO(4.75GB)...

• @xiaopigu said:
    @plumberg

/tmp only 3.9GB size

How to increase?

Does your machine have more than 4.75GB of RAM?

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@xiaopigu said:
    @plumberg

/tmp only 3.9GB size

How to increase?

Does your machine have more than 4.75GB of RAM?

Yes ~

I found a way~

mount -o remount,size=5G /tmp/

• Hello,
    Tutorial still functional?
    Thank you :)

• @Mountain said:
    Hello,

Yes

• @plumberg said:

@Mountain said:
    Hello,

Yes

im having an issue i install followign your guide but for soem reason when i reboot the vps out of rescue mode it just goes into windows repair system and yeah i cant repair if i open command promtp from the repair tool and use DISKPART to see if the disks are appearing when i do list disks inside diskpart it dosent detect any disk any idea why

• @Nubston said:

@plumberg said:

@Mountain said:
    Hello,

Yes

im having an issue i install followign your guide but for soem reason when i reboot the vps out of rescue mode it just goes into windows repair system and yeah i cant repair if i open command promtp from the repair tool and use DISKPART to see if the disks are appearing when i do list disks inside diskpart it dosent detect any disk any idea why

never tried on vps. So not sure.

• @Nubston said:

@plumberg said:

@Mountain said:
    Hello,

Yes

You most likely forgot to add the virtio block drivers, my guess is that the qemu command you used exposed the drive as a different interface and not as a virtio block device.

• I'm stuck at this level, when i put the following command line

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 10000M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu core2duo,+nx -smp 2 -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /tmp/17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVER_EVAL_x64FRE_en-us.iso -hda /dev/sda -vnc :1 -boot d

I have this message: -bash: /tmp/qemu-system-x86_64: No such file or directory

Please Markdown help me.

• My Kimsufi is 8GB ram. It doesn't let me to download the ISO.
    I used
    mount -o remount,size=5G /tmp/
    so I could download the iso. But after that, when I need to run this command

I get an error saying "cannot allocate memory".

Tried to remove this option
    -m 10000M
    This way I could login with VNC, but still I get the memory error inside VNC so can't run the setup.

Any idea how to fix this please?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2021

The ISO can't be bigger than your memory.
    Did you boot rescue x64?