Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliable dedicated server with DDoS protection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliable dedicated server with DDoS protection?

I am planning to launch an online business in a month or two. Obviously, since it is an online business, uptime needs to be 99.99%. DDoS protection is a requirement since the industry is rather competitive.

I'd love something with specs similar to this in the same price range (35-60 USD/mo). I'd rather not use RS though because their DDoS protection doesn't seem to withstand even small 5Gbps DNS reflection attacks.

Comments

• Dedicated Server
    2xE5-2450 (32 Vcore)
    32 gb ram
    1tb sata hdd (new one)
    1 ipv4
    1gbps port speed (almost dedicated) Unmetered
    DDos protection up to 1tbps
    price 65 eur/mo https://secure.hostsolutions.ro/cart.php?a=add&pid=375

located in Romania

• @cociu said:
    Dedicated Server
    2xE5-2450 (32 Vcore)
    32 gb ram
    1tb sata hdd (new one)
    1 ipv4
    1gbps port speed (almost dedicated) Unmetered
    DDos protection up to 1tbps
    price 65 eur/mo https://secure.hostsolutions.ro/cart.php?a=add&pid=375

located in Romania

I am sorry, but I don't think Host Solutions would be the right fit. I have heard they've had issues with reliability and I just can't afford downtime.

Thank you for the offer, though.

• Eleutheria said: I have heard they've had issues with reliability and I just can't afford downtime.

we have problem with vps production , no problem in dedis.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Intel Xeon Hex Core E5-2640-V1 2.50Ghz
    6 Cores, 12 Threads
    16GB DDR3 ECC RAM
    2x 480GB SSD
    Hardware RAID HP P220i
    1 Gbps - 20TB BW
    1.6tbps Voxility DDoS Protection for occasional Attacks.
    65EUR / month
    Contact us hostslick.com/submitticket.php

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Trying to put some transparency on the quality of HostSolutions from a customer perspective.
    I myself do have a dedi with them for about a year. The server itself is really running fine. It is true that most of the complaints posted here are regarding their VPS services. But two things are in common: Support and Network. It often takes a long time to get a response from support. And the network is having issues every few days. If it works, it works. Not to mention the recent DDoS attack which took the whole network down for quite a while. Also in the past 10 days I have often increased network latency and packet loss. This is a SmokePing from my dedi to Google DNS:

If you can live with that, you're fine.
    For example right now (6 PM UTC) the network again completely vanished from global BGP routing table. So my dedi is down again, like the whole HostSolutions network.

From lg.he.net:

core1.buh1.he.net> show ip bgp routes detail 188.213.134.0/24 
      BGP4 : None of the BGP4 routes match the display condition

For my use case as a testing environment I am fine with it. But I really hope cociu is able to invest more effort in providing a stable and reliable network.

Thanked by 3ITLabs uptime vimalware
  • AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited September 2019

Voxility is a joke don't use it. Drops way too many packets. Try out OVH, nfoservers, psychz

Thanked by 1uptime
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I would also give OVH a try. As long as you are fine with "mass hosting", do not expect any "fancy features" or a "personal touch", it basically "just works".
    I'd say their network is quite solid and mature and comes with good DDoS protection.
    WorldStream has some good offers in The Netherlands but I cannot comment on the quality of their DDoS protection.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • I'd be interested to hear about issues you have faced with RS as I my self have been targeted over the last few weeks on my dedis there and not had a single downtime

• @Bopie said:
    I'd be interested to hear about issues you have faced with RS as I my self have been targeted over the last few weeks on my dedis there and not had a single downtime

Yeah i've no idea what he's on about. Their protection is pretty good for L4 they just don't do L7

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Eleutheria said:
    I am planning to launch an online business in a month or two. Obviously, since it is an online business, uptime needs to be 99.99%. DDoS protection is a requirement since the industry is rather competitive.

I'd love something with specs similar to this in the same price range (35-60 USD/mo). I'd rather not use RS though because their DDoS protection doesn't seem to withstand even small 5Gbps DNS reflection attacks.

Go with reliablesite if USA location is an option for you

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited September 2019

@ViridWeb said:

@Eleutheria said:

He said no RS

• If you speak to RS they doing a lot of changes the last few weeks and still loads more, they are always happy for feedback and would welcome the knowledge of any down fall in there protection so they can make the changes needed to protect against it, my personal opinion is speak with @MrRadic he can help figure out the issue for sure

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@AlexJones said:

@ViridWeb said:

@Eleutheria said:

He said no RS

Oops I missed that.
    Then maybe worldstream with 10Gbps DDoS protection if he wants EU servers..
    Protection upgradable up to 800Gbps

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@Eleutheria said:

You can check our plans Here. DDoS protection can be added.

• joojajooja Member
    edited September 2019

If your business is a website or something more traditional you are ok with voxility as protection.
    But if you have something like game server or whatever don't use voxility they are bad for that

• @cociu said:

Eleutheria said: I have heard they've had issues with reliability and I just can't afford downtime.

we have problem with vps production , no problem in dedis.

support is also dead cociu hire some peoples for the support u can rock after that

• jokymic said: support is also dead cociu hire some peoples for the support u can rock after that

i work in this , for this i do not post any offer and i hope for BF to be full recuperate ..

• Based on the specs you are running a gameserver. Try out soyoustart (ovh) they also offer L7 for game specific filtering.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Eleutheria said:

I'd rather not use RS though because their DDoS protection doesn't seem to withstand even small 5Gbps DNS reflection attacks.

Yes and no. Our in-house DDoS protection is still fairly new and receiving major updates on a regular basis (every 1 - 3 weeks). Most of those updates improve the level of filtering, but in some cases we roll back changes as there's too much of a risk of legitimate packets being blocked. Our goal is to provide great always-on DDoS protection without filtering of legitimate packets. We prioritize the 99.9% of our network that isn't receiving DDoS attacks versus the 0.1% that is. If anything we see that anything we push out is causing legitimate packets to be blocked, we'll start easing it up until we can get better code in place. The most recent example was some reflection based attacks only being 80% filtered instead of 99% for the last month or so due temporary removal of fragmented packet detection and filtering as there was risk of legitimate traffic being blocked. This has (mostly) already been fixed with a recent update, but we have some really cool stuff in the works that should really nail things down.