Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 8
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Oracle Cloud Free Tier

    1234568»

    Comments

    • @havocx said:

      @ynzheng said:

      @vaviloff said:
      Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

      I wonder what is the definition of "active usage" here.

      After your trial ends, your account remains active, and you can continue to create and use the Always Free resources described on this page. Paid resources that were provisioned during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account. Free accounts remain available as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

      https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier.htm

      It would appear they've edited that part during the past ~3 days

      As of now, I don't see this requirement:

      After your trial ends, your account remains active. There is no interruption to the availability of the Always Free Resources you have provisioned. You can terminate and re-provision Always Free resources as needed.

      Paid resources that were provisioned with your credits during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account.

    • Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

    • @FoxelVox said:
      Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

      There is a policy that people who use words like "welp" cannot continue service.

      Thanked by 1TimboJones
    • There is any region with no "Out of host capacity" ??

    • xaocxaoc Member

      @farsighter said:
      Just want to update that a friend of mine IRL has managed to get PTR records (aka reverse DNS) set for his IPs.

      Findings:
      First, no way to do that alone.

      He reported he had to open an SR with support (a neat one - not a chat window!) and they did it for him (in free tier).

      Yes expect some waiting, their support is frustrating sometimes, just be clear and they'll eventually help.

      So i need to open 52 SRs in order to get my PTRs? :neutral:

      So Say We All

    • ChuckChuck Member

      @dfroe said:
      Seemed to work fine for me.

      My trial period went until 35/30 days. Now I see a login banner that my trial period has ended and I can only access "always free" services (or upgrade to a paid plan). My two "always free" VMs I created during the trial period are still online.

      Now and then I received a phone call from some Oracle employees asking about some feedback. I told them about my experience within 2-3 minutes and that I would like to continue on the free trial plan until I might (or not) upgrade to a paid plan sometime in the future.

      So far seems legit to me.

      Can you provide the main diff between the "always free" and the "free trial"?

      I like what she said, not what it means.

    • @FoxelVox said:
      Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

      Same here.

      Today they surprisingly terminated both of my "VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro" instances without any notification.

      Support also can't explain, why they was terminated. Answer was: "All ok, you account is still active. Please try to create those instances once again".

      Shape: VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro
      Created: Sun, 06 Oct 2019 16:01:05 UTC

      Today: 06 Nov 2019

    • xaocxaoc Member

      Quick update: Reserved Public IP Count limit gets set to 1 instead of 50 after the trial ends. So much for my dreams of handing out free ZNCs to peeps... :neutral:

      Thanked by 1Babynemo

      So Say We All

    • My account has stopped working and I have 2 servers always free, I have contacted customer service and they don't give me a solution.

      PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, DO NOT RISK YOUR DATA

    • xaocxaoc Member

      How does an account stop working?

      So Say We All

    • Still works fine for me. As noted in this thread, benchmarks aren't very good but at least for my free servers it is hard to fault the uptime. I'm happy. Besides, no-one is risking their data if they have backups and failovers.

    • Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

    • @dragon1993 said:
      Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

      Was thinking about that as well.

    • It's good to have 1 GB RAM on such a small instance. Thanks for the heads up!

    • @xaoc said:
      How does an account stop working?

      Larry Ellison collects your soul.

      Thanked by 2479555 havocx
    • @479555 said:

      @dragon1993 said:
      Anyone seed "linux iso" in CH location?

      Was thinking about that as well.

      They killing often my transmission process.
      I think crappy CPU policy.
      I use haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn image with restart always policy.
      It's restarted every 3-4 hour. Transmission almost idle.

    • Considered using it for a VPN but that 50mbps isn't gonna fly.

      dragon1993 said: They killing often my transmission process.

      Disable the monitoring when you create the VM. It seems to cause a bunch of CPU usage anyway.

      The really should just use clean Ubuntu images without all that crap embedded.

    • @dragon1993 said:
      They killing often my transmission process.
      I think crappy CPU policy.
      I use haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn image with restart always policy.
      It's restarted every 3-4 hour. Transmission almost idle.

      Is using lots of CPU? Is it taking public connections?

    • rm_rm_ Member

      dragon1993 said: They killing often my transmission process.

      They cannot kill any process from the outside, since this is KVM, not OVZ or LXC. Maybe it's crashing on it's own, due to low RAM?

      Or if it's killed by another (monitoring?) process on the VPS, then you should just remove that one. I remember deleting something of that sort, but don't remember the package name exactly.

      Thanked by 1vimalware
    • xaocxaoc Member

      @rm_ said:

      dragon1993 said: They killing often my transmission process.

      They cannot kill any process from the outside, since this is KVM, not OVZ or LXC. Maybe it's crashing on it's own, due to low RAM?

      Or if it's killed by another (monitoring?) process on the VPS, then you should just remove that one. I remember deleting something of that sort, but don't remember the package name exactly.

      Is oracle-cloud-agent. Just grep oracle @ ps.

      Thanked by 1rm_

      So Say We All

    • @tetech said:

      @dragon1993 said:
      They killing often my transmission process.
      I think crappy CPU policy.
      I use haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn image with restart always policy.
      It's restarted every 3-4 hour. Transmission almost idle.

      Is using lots of CPU? Is it taking public connections?

      Transmission taking over NordVPN.
      CPU usage not many.

      @rm_ said:

      dragon1993 said: They killing often my transmission process.

      They cannot kill any process from the outside, since this is KVM, not OVZ or LXC. Maybe it's crashing on it's own, due to low RAM?

      Or if it's killed by another (monitoring?) process on the VPS, then you should just remove that one. I remember deleting something of that sort, but don't remember the package name exactly.

      Good idea. I disabled it.

      snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

      but, i try run geekbench and it's killed.

      docker run --rm davidsarkany/geekbench && docker rmi davidsarkany/geekbench

    • rm_rm_ Member
      edited November 28

      dragon1993 said: snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

      I don't know if snap disable stops the already running instance of it. Better just remove altogether and reboot.

      dragon1993 said: i try run geekbench and it's killed.

      Also check in dmesg if there's an Out of Memory (OOM) message in the end.

      Oh I see you use "docker", could there be any memory limit or process killing from that? Better just try with regular UnixBench without docker.

    • @rm_ said:

      dragon1993 said: snap disable oracle-cloud-agent

      I don't know if snap disable stops the already running instance of it. Better just remove altogether and reboot.

      dragon1993 said: i try run geekbench and it's killed.

      Also check in dmesg if there's an Out of Memory (OOM) message in the end.

      Oh I see you use "docker", could there be any memory limit or process killing from that? Better just try with regular UnixBench without docker.

      You are right.
      It was really memory problem.

    • I'm impressed that you guys are still at it

      "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

    • How is it holding up for you guys?

    • Just lost one instance because I had to reinstall it: Out of host capacity.

      Thanked by 1punder
    • benj0xbenj0x Member
      edited December 8

      @Coffee said:
      Just lost one instance because I had to reinstall it: Out of host capacity.

      I had the same issue; however, after trying for a couple of days, I was luckily able to spin another instance up.

      @punder said:
      How is it holding up for you guys?

      Excellent, good performance/price ratio. Just that you shouldn't reinstall is a little bummer. However, when do you need reinstalls on idling machines?

      Thanked by 1punder

      is annoyed of VirMach's Black Friday Flash Sale Page.

    • rm_rm_ Member

      punder said: How is it holding up for you guys?

      Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian, rDNS editing, IPv6, and switching of home regions or ability to use free VMs in a non-home region. Sounds like a lot of wishes, but it's all basic stuff and hopefully they add at least some of that.

      Thanked by 2farsighter punder
    • rm_ said: Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian

      This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

    • donlidonli Member

      @rm_ said:

      punder said: How is it holding up for you guys?

      Just works, I don't recreate so still have two. Hope someday they will add Debian, rDNS editing, IPv6, and switching of home regions or ability to use free VMs in a non-home region. Sounds like a lot of wishes, but it's all basic stuff and hopefully they add at least some of that.

      Larry Ellison will have your soul first.

    • Four accounts currently. Migrated some smaller processes over - like running a Minio S3 server for serving some server assets and a Bastion host for my fleet. Additionally have one running a Git server and Bitwarden.

      They're small but if you segment, it works well.

    • @daxterfellowes said:
      Four accounts currently.

      All under one name/CC or how?

    • havocxhavocx Member
      edited 1:03AM

      They killed mine today.

      Not gonna bother with them against. For a shitty server that can't sustain >50mbps download it's not worth it. Even the bottom tier LET stuff does better

    • @farsighter said:

      @daxterfellowes said:
      Four accounts currently.

      All under one name/CC or how?

      @farsighter said:

      @daxterfellowes said:
      Four accounts currently.

      All under one name/CC or how?

      All are under different emails, different credit cards (thank you Capital One Eno, as Privacy is blocked), and all under different phone numbers (use a text verification service to bypass, only about $1 usually a verification code).

      It does get VERY hectic to login to each since their login mechanism is not very friendly and trying to remember your realmID can be troublesome.

      Thanked by 1farsighter
    • vimalwarevimalware Member

      @daxterfellowes said:
      and a Bastion host for my fleet.

      Hope you have more than one. Else I'll be selling popcorn when the time comes.

      Tired of LET scams?
      A Moderated forum : https://talk.lowendspirit.com/

    • rm_rm_ Member

      This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

      Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

    • @vimalware said:

      @daxterfellowes said:
      and a Bastion host for my fleet.

      Hope you have more than one. Else I'll be selling popcorn when the time comes.

      I take DB backups nightly - so it's as simple as spinning a new one up via Docker on a new host. Would it be an inconvenience? For sure. Would it be catastrophic, definitely not.

    • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
      edited 5:23AM

      Received an email saying that my cloud services terminated, but actually all of my instances are up and running

      FREE $$$ DigitalOcean credit (affiliate link) || My VPS is being provided for free by Evolution Host
    • I never saw steal > @rm_ said:

      This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

      Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

      There's VNC, but you need to download their SSH key and do port forwarding. It's a hassle initially, so best to use a program like Remote Desktop Manager that remembers credentials and can launch SSH forwarding before VNC.

    • o2bito2bit Member

      Oracle Sucks

    • tetechtetech Member

      @rm_ said:

      This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

      Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

      There's a serial console over ssh. Compute -> Instances -> Instance details -> Console connections -> Create console connection.

      Also you don't need to delete and recreate the instance. Just take it offline and re-do the boot volume by preparing it using VirtualBox. No risk. I'm about to re-partition mine to have a btrfs storage backend for LXC. I did this tutorial for CentOS 7 on a new VM, but not difficult to adjust it for an existing VM.

      Thanked by 1rm_
    • tetechtetech Member

      @o2bit said:
      Oracle Sucks

      Thanks for your valuable insight. I don't know how this thread has managed to survive so long without it.

    Sign In or Register to comment.