Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

โ€บ Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 7
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator
      edited October 15

ras07 said: For huge customers, sure. I get that. But that totally defeats the marketing purpose of the free offering. It's supposedly there to show you how easy and powerful it is. What it really does is show you how difficult and limited it is.

You are not the target market then. You are looking for a VPS.

Non-huge customers do use k8s and terraform..

Thanked by 1ITLabs
    • ras07ras07 Member

@hzr said:

ras07 said: For huge customers, sure. I get that. But that totally defeats the marketing purpose of the free offering. It's supposedly there to show you how easy and powerful it is. What it really does is show you how difficult and limited it is.

You are not the target market then. You are looking for a VPS.

Of course. But then how does the free tier make sense from a marketing perspective? What are you, the provider, trying to demonstrate to me, the huge customer?

Non-huge customers do use k8s and terraform..

Still not the point. Forget the non-huge customer, what are you trying to prove to the huge customer? "Ease-of-use" and "capability" should be top of mind. They fail on both points.

• xaocxaoc Member

@ras07 Use the panel for a bit and you'll figure everything out. It's not difficult but it is new.

@hzr why would you recommend something like terraform and kubernetes to someone that has an issue with something as simple as the Oracle's cloud panel? :))

Thanked by 1mrTom

So Say We All

• @hzr said:
      You are supposed to provision with Terraform or the API. The UI is not meant to be used.

https://xkcd.com/378/

Of course the UI is meant to be used. That's why it's there. You use whatever deployment method works best for your usage case.

• hzrhzr Member, Moderator
      edited October 15

xaoc said: @hzr why would you recommend something like terraform and kubernetes to someone that has an issue with something as simple as the Oracle's cloud panel? :))

I use terraform and it's much simpler than clicking around in an unknown UI. The terraform docs are much shorter and come with examples for launching a vm!

This is like the AWS problem - the UI is last-class abomination because specifically no one uses it! Lightsail is the equivalent for users that want a VPS. Otherwise everyone uses terraform, cloudformation, etc for the "real" AWS portion that isn't Lightsail

ras07 said: Forget the non-huge customer, what are you trying to prove to the huge customer? "Ease-of-use" and "capability" should be top of mind. They fail on both points.

For dayjob (large software) I don't care about manually clicking - I want infrastructure as code, immutable and re-deployable. It is not about ease of use UI, it is ease of use and sane API, well implemented client libraries, etc.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
    • After 9K views on this thread and 305 comments...you know, maybe I should get around to trying the Oracle Cloud Free Tier...

Thanked by 2ITLabs Chuck

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• @ras07 said:
      Yikes. I get that free is free, but this is the most convoluted system I've ever used.

What part of "Oracle" did you not understand?

• At one point, Amazon had multiple (many) 16-node and larger Oracle RAC databases, some of which backed the main amazon.com site.

Interesting what "R" on the RDS they're running. I'm highly skeptical it's MySQL but possibly Pg. Or Oracle?!? Not sure how much of this is games-playing with marketing...is running Oracle on Amazon AWS RDS the same as having internal Oracle in this article? Who cares.

OTOH, a colleague tells me that Apple keeps filling datacenters with Exadata machines.

I suspect Amazon's internal infrastructure engineering knowledge is the differentiator here. They created a lot of the database technologies they're moving to, so it's not hard for them to take their own requirements into account. OTOH, Apple uses off-the-shelf hardware and software components in datacenters.

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• This sounds interesting to have as a backup server. Are you guys also using the free AWS or Google Cloud VMs?

• "We migrated 75 petabytes of internal data stored in nearly 7,500 Oracle databases to multiple AWS database services [...]"

An insane quantity

"Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

• berndy2001berndy2001 Member
      edited October 16

@HackedServer said:
      Has anyone managed to get a Debian image to work? I built both 10 and 9, but neither comes up.

Have you tried to open a vnc-connection to see whats happening? You have to create a console connection first.

@dfroe said:

@suricloud said:
      Any idea how to get Debian 10 on this?

As already mentioned by @ynzheng:
      https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3022902/#Comment_3022902

wget https://moeclub.org/attachment/LinuxShell/InstallNET.sh
      bash InstallNET.sh -d 9 -v 64 -a -firmware

This will install Debian 9 on the machine.
      The installer requires IP configuration to be present under /etc/network/interfaces
      It takes some time after rebooting to finish.
      After logging in to your Debian 9, you can easily do a dist-upgrade to Debian 10 straight forward.

-d 10 also works.

• I> @Skidmark said:

This sounds interesting to have as a backup server. Are you guys also using the free AWS or Google Cloud VMs?

I'm using GCP to host a website but I still have to discover why need Oracle's VMs.

Maybe I'll use them to download Linux distros, since my servers are in Switzerland ๐Ÿ˜

Is the free AWS legit? What can you do with it?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
      edited October 17

@479555 said:
      Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

• @farsighter said:

@479555 said:
      Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

Yeah, but I mean can you create a totally and indefinitely free VPS with AWS as well?

Thanked by 1vimalware
    • xaocxaoc Member
      edited October 17

@479555 said:

@farsighter said:

@479555 said:
      Is the free AWS legit?

Very legit, by Amazon.

Yeah, but I mean can you create a totally and indefinitely free VPS with AWS as well?

12 months only of ec2 as per their offer page. You get 1 month of lightsail as well.

Edit: Forgot to add https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Thanked by 1479555

So Say We All

• Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

I wonder what is the definition of "active usage" here.

• how will it keep free, 1 year ?

• pincpinc Member

@vaviloff said:
      Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

It's in the manual:

If your Always Free Autonomous Database has no activity for a period of 7 consecutive days, the Database service will stop the database automatically. If this happens, you are allowed to restart the database and continue using it. If your Always Free Autonomous Database remains in a stopped state for 3 consecutive months, the resource will be reclaimed by the Database service.

Thanked by 1vaviloff
    • bapbap Member

@cnzhangquan said:
      how will it keep free, 1 year ?

soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

Thanked by 1Chuck
    • xaocxaoc Member

@xaoc said:

@skizoid said:

@rafaelscs said:
      I send mail to support and ip reserved is free

There is any limitation for how many ip reserved that we can create?

50 public ips.

+2 if you assigned a public ip when creating the VM.

An instance can only have 33 of those attached.

Has anyone figured out how to set reverse dns on those public ips? My ZNCs would look so much better with a custom vhost. :relaxed:

So Say We All

• vimalwarevimalware Member
      edited October 19

I have reserved two public IPs.
      If these are free, then I guess I'm tempted to run DNS.

Also, on Oct 16,the last day of my $300 trial credits, I was unable to provision any EPYC based instances, huge or micro. ('out of host capacity' error msg )
      Datacenter was Mumbai.

I did manage to spin up a dual core Intel KVM just for Geekbench lulz.

Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• loeloe Member
      edited October 19

bap said: soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

They have the cash to pay for some "free" stuff if they consider that this might bring them more sales in the future. IMO they didn't believe there were that many broke addicts hobbyists that could be interested in their crap, as in their minds the world if full of tech companies, startups and CEOs...

• Think they under> @loe said:

bap said: soon, when they realize that peoples love free stuff without using the paid one.

They have the cash to pay for some "free" stuff if they consider that this might bring them more sales in the future. IMO they didn't believe there were that many broke addicts hobbyists that could be interested in their crap, as in their minds the world if full of tech companies, startups and CEOs...

Not really a question of cost even. Playing with this even though I've got a ton of azure credits anyway.

Anyway...seems like they're not charging for ipv4.

• Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

• umeume Member

@NanoG6 said:
      Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

I stopped one of my instance as well some weeks ago. Since then I'm also unable to start it again. Would be nice if they would return a nice error message, that they are out of free resources again.

• So you still have one running? Don't ever restart the instance then

• @ume said:

@NanoG6 said:
      Anyone in Tokyo can still running the instance after stopped/restart? I'm unable to start my instance after purposely stopped the instance for days.

I stopped one of my instance as well some weeks ago. Since then I'm also unable to start it again. Would be nice if they would return a nice error message, that they are out of free resources again.

"Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account"

I can only guess that since those VMs are in high demand they have low tolerance for idlers, up to several days only.

• ponpaponpa Member

@rm_ said:

marrco said: Did you find where to set the ptr?

No. Doesn't seem to be any way to set it.

True that. I tried to talk to some tech support but they're f clueless

• Has anyone pushed over 100GB of egress directly from the VM (and not via the Load balancer) ?

It's not clear to me if the 10TB 'free transfer' is only for LBs. (10mbit restricted)

Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

Will it run until I run out of free funds?

US$115.16 / US$300.00
      Total Days Used 32 / 30

• @RAINMAN said:
      Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

US$115.16 / US$300.00
      Total Days Used 32 / 30

Mine's still running. I have 2 always free nodes running still. I have terminated my other node which ran on free credits.

• @vaviloff said:
      Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

After your trial ends, your account remains active, and you can continue to create and use the Always Free resources described on this page. Paid resources that were provisioned during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account. Free accounts remain available as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier.htm

Thanked by 1rm_
    • @RAINMAN said:
      Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

US$115.16 / US$300.00
      Total Days Used 32 / 30

Mine's not available,

during the trial ,I upgrade mine to a paid account,but after the trial ends,My account is disabled ,I donot know why ,I do nothing...all infomation is real and correct

so no use this free resources to your product environment cos you dont know when why your account will be gone...

• shvshv Member

Mine is still available (days used: 32/30). 4 paid instances outside of main region are still available. I can also create new paid instances.

• Not possible to verify account with debit or pre-paid cards. Only real credit card. Shame :(

Wordpress Hosting - Home made!

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

Seemed to work fine for me.

My trial period went until 35/30 days. Now I see a login banner that my trial period has ended and I can only access "always free" services (or upgrade to a paid plan). My two "always free" VMs I created during the trial period are still online.

Now and then I received a phone call from some Oracle employees asking about some feedback. I told them about my experience within 2-3 minutes and that I would like to continue on the free trial plan until I might (or not) upgrade to a paid plan sometime in the future.

So far seems legit to me.

IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• xaocxaoc Member

@LTniger said:
      Not possible to verify account with debit or pre-paid cards. Only real credit card. Shame :(

I used debit to register tho it failed at first since it only had like 1$ on it at the time. I added some 50$ to it and the account was instantly verified afterwards.

So Say We All

• Yeah think I might convert mine to a paid a/c too.

They're not massively powerful, but I suspect uptime on these will be better than the average LET

• @ynzheng said:

@vaviloff said:

After your trial ends, your account remains active, and you can continue to create and use the Always Free resources described on this page. Paid resources that were provisioned during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account. Free accounts remain available as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier.htm

It would appear they've edited that part during the past ~3 days

• Did anybody figure out how to reinstall the OS?

I read a user suggested to create a non free instance and then switch the disks I think, but I don't wanna get charged.

• xaocxaoc Member

@479555 said:
      Did anybody figure out how to reinstall the OS?

I read a user suggested to create a non free instance and then switch the disks I think, but I don't wanna get charged.

What's wrong with remove/create new?

So Say We All

• @xaoc said:

@479555 said:

I fear I might do something wrong and lose the VM :/

• xaocxaoc Member

@479555 said:

@xaoc said:

@479555 said:

You might have to do it @ some point in the future anyways so might as well be now. xD

So Say We All

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

Short (and probably stupid) question but I didn't find a clear answer on the OCP website:
      If I upgrade from the free tier to a paid account, will the first two micro compute, one load balancer etc. instances remain free and I only need to pay for additional instances, or is the free tier game over as soon as you upgrade from free to paid?

IT-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | AS39083 | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• @479555 said:

@xaoc said:

@479555 said:

Sounds like conflicting goals.

• xaocxaoc Member

@dfroe said:
      Short (and probably stupid) question but I didn't find a clear answer on the OCP website:
      If I upgrade from the free tier to a paid account, will the first two micro compute, one load balancer etc. instances remain free and I only need to pay for additional instances, or is the free tier game over as soon as you upgrade from free to paid?

You have to upgrade in order to use the non'free stuff. Free things remain free.

Thanked by 1dfroe

So Say We All

• farsighterfarsighter Member
      edited November 4

Just want to update that a friend of mine IRL has managed to get PTR records (aka reverse DNS) set for his IPs.

Findings:
      First, no way to do that alone.

He reported he had to open an SR with support (a neat one - not a chat window!) and they did it for him (in free tier).

Yes expect some waiting, their support is frustrating sometimes, just be clear and they'll eventually help.

• @farsighter said:
      Just want to update that a friend of mine IRL has managed to get PTR records (aka reverse DNS) set for his IPs.

Findings:
      First, no way to do that alone.

He reported he had to open an SR with support (a neat one - not a chat window!) and they did it for him (in free tier).

Yes expect some waiting, their support is frustrating sometimes, just be clear and they'll eventually help.

Can you check with your friend and see if he was within the 30 day window when opening a SR with support? I believe after the 30 days your SR entitlements are no longer and phone support/web SRs are not valid anymore.

• @daxterfellowes said:
      Can you check with your friend and see if he was within the 30 day window when opening a SR with support?.

Yes, he was lucky to do that few days after registration.

@daxterfellowes said:
      I believe after the 30 days your SR entitlements are no longer and phone support/web SRs are not valid anymore.

True. From https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/contactingsupport.htm :

This option is available to paid accounts. Customers using only Always Free resources are not eligible for Oracle Support. Limited support is available to Free Tier accounts with Free Trial credits. After you use all of your credits or after your trial period ends (whichever comes first), you must upgrade to a paid account to access Oracle Support. If you choose not to upgrade and continue to use Always Free Services, you will not be eligible to raise a service request in My Oracle Support.