Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @dragon1993 said:

@muneebrocks said:
    i dont think its nat they have given me 1 ip that I can use to connect to ssh and use as a web server

reason I wanted ipsec is native windows and android support

I try this ipsec docker image and work fine.
    https://github.com/hwdsl2/docker-ipsec-vpn-server

really? must be something wrong I must be doing on my end.

ill reset the entire server and try again

thanks for your help

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
  • @muneebrocks said:
    i dont think its nat they have given me 1 ip that I can use to connect to ssh and use as a web server

Dude, it is NAT. There must be something mixed up on your script/setup between private and public IP.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited September 2019

@muneebrocks said:

@dragon1993 said:

@muneebrocks said:

I try this ipsec docker image and work fine.
    https://github.com/hwdsl2/docker-ipsec-vpn-server

really? must be something wrong I must be doing on my end.

ill reset the entire server and try again

thanks for your help

Yep, dockerized version work fine.

A question:.
    Ip sec is more energy efficient than openvpn on mobile?

• if you wanna install debian9,following

1.choose ubuntu16 for your server
    2.run

bash <(wget --no-check-certificate -qO- 'https://moeclub.org/attachment/LinuxShell/InstallNET.sh') -d 9 -v 64 -a -firmware

• Guess I'm unlucky. I'm registered on the site; however, it doesn't let me into my account. Any ideas?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited September 2019

@benj0x said:
    Guess I'm unlucky. I'm registered on the site; however, it doesn't let me into my account. Any ideas?

>

That's not your login page (yours depends on region). You should find your login in one of their email messages

• @farsighter said:

@benj0x said:
    Guess I'm unlucky. I'm registered on the site; however, it doesn't let me into my account. Any ideas?

>

That's not the login page. You should find it at one of their email messages

https://img.l1.si/2019-09-22_22-28-55.png

That's the only e-mail I've got in the last 2 hours.

edited September 2019

@benj0x said:

@farsighter said:

@benj0x said:

>

That's not the login page. You should find it at one of their email messages

https://img.l1.si/2019-09-22_22-28-55.png

That's the only e-mail I've got in the last 2 hours.

Seems your account is not fully set up yet. You should wait they might call you , or bring your case up to the commitee :p

• will you be charged if add/subscribe another region?

• @daman said:

bloodyprince said: Reserve an IP address. That's how you don't have any worry to loosing IP.

Is reserving IP address is part of "Always free" quota? Also, there doesn't seem to be any way one can reinstall the OS without terminating the instance. Did anyone try this?

I think reserving IP address is free. I've attached an IP to my always free instance and so far it didn't cost me any penny (from free 300$). So I think it's free. Anyway can anyone please confirm that reserving IP is free?

I couldn't find a way to reinstall the OS without terminating.

• OOB access on these VM?

edited September 2019

@bloodyprince said:
    I think reserving IP address is free. I've attached an IP to my always free instance

Reserving IP != having an IP automatically attached.
    Question was whether or not we can keep same IP after terminating an instance and assign it to a new one.

• @farsighter said:

@bloodyprince said:
    I think reserving IP address is free. I've attached an IP to my always free instance

Reserving IP != having an IP automatically attached.
    Question was whether or not we can keep same IP after terminating an instance and assign it to a new one.

I didn't say that reserving IP means the IP will automatically attach with instance. In oracle cloud, I reserved IP from networking tab. Now that IP is kind of like floating IP because it is not attached to any instance yet. Finally from instance settings, I attached that IP. So even if I terminate the instance, that IP will be mine as it is reserved. I can assign that IP to new instance (within same region instance ofc)

edited September 2019

@bloodyprince said:
    I didn't say that reserving IP means the IP will automatically attach with instance.

So I got you wrong thanks for clarifying.

@bloodyprince said:
    In oracle cloud, I reserved IP from networking tab. Now that IP is kind of like floating IP because it is not attached to any instance yet. Finally from instance settings, I attached that IP. So even if I terminate the instance, that IP will be mine as it is reserved. I can assign that IP to new instance (within same region instance ofc)

Interesting but I really doubt it's free.
    Note they say 'usage data is typically delayed by approximately four hours' so you won't see charges in real time.
    If you need a final confirmation (and 4 hours have passed) just check your balance again then visit networking tab at their 'cost analysis' page e.g. its Frankfurt URL is: https://console.eu-frankfurt-1.oraclecloud.com/account-management/cost-analysis

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@benj0x said:

Apparently people in "risky" countries like Russia getting called up.

• @Neoon said:

@benj0x said:

Apparently people in "risky" countries like Russia getting called up.

Well, it seems like I'm in a risky country called Germany. ^^

• @farsighter said:
    Interesting but I really doubt it's free.
    Note they say 'usage data is typically delayed by approximately four hours' so you won't see charges in real time.
    If you need a final confirmation (and 4 hours have passed) just check your balance again then visit networking tab at their 'cost analysis' page e.g. its Frankfurt URL is: https://console.eu-frankfurt-1.oraclecloud.com/account-management/cost-analysis

It's been already 3 days that I've attached that reserved IP to instance. My free credit still stays at 300$. Hopefully it is free. I didn't find anywhere about the costing of reserved IP.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2019

bloodyprince said: It's been already 3 days that I've attached that reserved IP to instance. My free credit still stays at 300$. Hopefully it is free. I didn't find anywhere about the costing of reserved IP.

So you kept the IP which came with the instance by default, and also added a new "reserved" one, so it now has two IPv4 for free?

• Did any of you read their TOS?
    Great stuff.

By Sharing Content, you grant Oracle a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive, fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, broadcast, transmit and distribute the Content for any purpose and in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.

Thanked by 2rm_ receivedthanks
  • @Tion said:
    Did any of you read their TOS?
    Great stuff.

So don't share sensitive content on their community website..

• @Tion said:
    Did any of you read their TOS?
    Great stuff.

By Sharing Content, you grant Oracle a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive, fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, broadcast, transmit and distribute the Content for any purpose and in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.

You get what you pay for

• Seems like you'll be charged if creating VM on other than your Home Region?

My Home Region is Japan, but since it's always out of capacity, I subscribed to Korea and India as well, and create VM on those countries.

NanoG6 said: Seems like you'll be charged if creating VM on other than your Home Region?

Gosh, it sure seems so.

• @creep said:

@Foul said:

creep said: looks like they are denying all debit cards, be it genuine from your bank or any virtual cards.

Worked just fine for my debit card

that's weird. I tried to use Maybank (Malaysia's number 1 bank, and the best bank in South East Asia) visa debit card, they deducted a dollar from my bank but still declining my sign up. Even a staff don't have idea why this happen, and just tell me to "use another card" or try another time.

Edit: just chat with Oracle Indian guy. He said there should be two authorization, first its $1 , if it succeed, second reauthorization will attempt to charge you a random amount about $50. So, if your debit card has less than $50, your transaction will fail. I dont know if he's joking, but that what he said. fucking $50 for re-authorization.

Scaring... 😱

• @rm_ said:

NanoG6 said: Seems like you'll be charged if creating VM on other than your Home Region?

Gosh, it sure seems so.

Lol sorry didn't read that

• @rm_ said:

bloodyprince said: It's been already 3 days that I've attached that reserved IP to instance. My free credit still stays at 300$. Hopefully it is free. I didn't find anywhere about the costing of reserved IP.

So you kept the IP which came with the instance by default, and also added a new "reserved" one, so it now has two IPv4 for free?

No I didn't kept the IP which came with the instance. I released that and reserved an IP from Networking > Public IPs. Later I attached that IP with the always free instance (from instance settings). I did the same thing for my other always free instance. So I have reserved two public IPs now which are attached with the free instances.

Btw it's been 5 days and oracle didn't charge for the IP addresses. I think it's free (maybe as long as it is attached with running vm, not sure though)

edited September 2019

@bloodyprince said:
    No I didn't kept the IP which came with the instance. I released that and reserved an IP from Networking > Public IPs. Later I attached that IP with the always free instance (from instance settings). I did the same thing for my other always free instance. So I have reserved two public IPs now which are attached with the free instances.

Btw it's been 5 days and oracle didn't charge for the IP addresses. I think it's free (maybe as long as it is attached with running vm, not sure though)

Can you try to attach one of your instances all 2 public IPs at same time, so the other instance is temporarily left without any?

If those IPs can be freely moved between instances that basically means we can keep them when "reinstalling" OS.

Thanked by 2receivedthanks Pwner
    edited September 2019

farsighter said: If those IPs can be freely moved between instances that basically means we can keep them when "reinstalling" OS.

I'd say the main concern on "reinstalling" is not the IP, but a chance that you will get "out of stock" after deleting and trying to create your instance again.

Thanked by 2receivedthanks Pwner
    edited September 2019

@rm_ said:

I'd say the main concern on "reinstalling" is not the IP, but a chance that you will get "out of stock" after deleting and trying to create your instance again.

Sure that's another serious concern. Might even get worse by time, we're lucky to be among first adopters haha.
    Working with LXD containers can solve both problems together BTW

• So as a not so shocking update (after waiting nearly an entire day for a sev 2 listed ticket), alas a "victim of its success", I cannot launch any instances in us west (Phoenix) due to literally "no" capacity in the free tier region.

Alrighty then...