Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 33
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @skizoid said:

@lanefu said:
    I finally managed to deploy a 4 core 24gig arm VM in us-east with the free. First time resources have been available. #dontreboot

how is maximum boot volume can be deployed?

200GB shared across all vms (arm and epyc). So you could have 4 VMs with 50gb each or just one with 200gb, or any other combination. Note that the minimum size is 50gb.

• This free program has been in place for several years
    But the problem now is that any account can be judged as fraudulent
    When your account is determined to be fraudulent, they will immediately delete all resources from your account

Also, an account can be judged as fraudulent immediately after registration, or years later

This means that your data can be lost at any time

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@BetaRacks said: This means that your data can be lost at any time

Did you think to scare off anyone with that? Sure it can. Just like with any paid VPS.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • @rm_ said:

Did you think to scare off anyone with that? Sure it can. Just like with any paid VPS.

+1000
    The lesson with OCI free tier and any VPS provider is…. maintain your own backups

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @rm_ said:

No, Oracle is high risk. If you have a problem (and it's Oracle's fuckup) you have to contact them over forum and someone looks into it. Their attitude is that free tier is to be used the same as trial to test out their services and not run production stuff. That's in total conflict with them putting out blog posts to put your blog and website on the free tier.

When the support and marketing people are not on the same page, shit WILL go wrong eventually.

Oh, and also they've lost the data on two servers early on for me. The second time they reported they successfully recovered it, but it wasn't bootable. I don't even think it was their "B team", but C or D team...

Recently, I've found a script that backs up the boot volume because Oracle's default answer is "it's ok, you just create a new VM and restore the backup".

This was because they had a worldwide fuckup on compute instances that took a full week to find, fix and deploy the solution.

So definitely make sure you are using different failover zones.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @BetaRacks said:
    This free program has been in place for several years

Two years so far.

• "Their attitude is that free tier is to be used the same as trial to test out their services and not run production stuff."

^ attitude is not contractual, so... Does anyone know if we can simply sue them if they delete our work?

I'd put a few bucks in the account if that helps to keep the service running 24/7. OracleCloud has been and is great! Thanks y'all. (And Oracle)

• @Y2K_FIX said:
    "Their attitude is that free tier is to be used the same as trial to test out their services and not run production stuff."

^ attitude is not contractual, so... Does anyone know if we can simply sue them if they delete our work?

I'd put a few bucks in the account if that helps to keep the service running 24/7. OracleCloud has been and is great! Thanks y'all. (And Oracle)

Your priorities are fucked if it's easier to sue than just backup your data or use a different provider.

• Suing is not my style bro. I was just sayin, for others with concerns about Oracle deleting their shit. OFC you are right tho, bro.. What's the script your are using that backs up the boot volume?

• you*

• I'm not trying to personal quote everyone on their Mama on this thread though. A backup script to go along with the awesome work of dude in this thread that made the Ubuntu to Debian scripts, would be a nice general post for the peoples. Happy Thanksgiving (and taking?) month everyone. Give and Take? Giving thanks, tho. Thank You LowEndTalk.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • @BetaRacks said: When your account is determined to be fraudulent, they will immediately delete all resources from your account

Have this been reported anywhere? I'm not aware, it would be helpful if you can point those out. Would be helpful to see the bad testimonials from users.

edited November 2021

@TimboJones said:
    So definitely make sure you are using different failover zones.

Sure, if you mean on another provider. It is pointless to rely on any "failover zone" for reliability or backup, if it's still within the same account on the same provider. So don't just pick different "availability zones" within Oracle, or use Oracle-provided backups as the only backup.

• Hey,

As we know 10TB egress is free per account, but where I can find how much I used? I tried to find statistics and I couldnt find it. Only statistics I find are on instance page. Is there any "global" egress statistic somewhere in panel?

• @AXYZE said:
    Hey,

As we know 10TB egress is free per account, but where I can find how much I used? I tried to find statistics and I couldnt find it. Only statistics I find are on instance page. Is there any "global" egress statistic somewhere in panel?

Search for "Cost Analysis" in the panel, under "show" pick "usage" instead of "cost". xD

Thanked by 4k4zz AXYZE Erisa Ouji
  • Is it possible to run an Android emulator with an Always Free Ampere A1 instance? Looking on Google to find some instructions but can't. There is a Genymotion thing on marketplace but I think that can't be used with Always Free right? Can someone give some insight?

• Can you reset the VM, without destroying and recreating? I cannot find a way.
    I don't want to lose my Arm instance. 😁

• Any chance to get Always Free-eligible resources in Israel? Trying from Oct 13.

edited November 2021

@Iroshan464 said: Can you reset the VM, without destroying and recreating? I cannot find a way.
    I don't want to lose my Arm instance.

Look for the Debian install script a few pages back, it will install a clean Debian instance for you instead of your previous OS. Changing the OS, but Debian is likely better anyway than whatever it was, tnx.

Thanked by 2Iroshan464 NanoG6
  • @Iroshan464 said:
    Can you reset the VM, without destroying and recreating? I cannot find a way.
    I don't want to lose my Arm instance. 😁

Yes, you can restart an instance.

• lollerskateslollerskates Member
    edited November 2021

I'm having an issue getting any A1.Flex instances to be port-accessible on WAN.

I have tried creating several different flavors (Ubuntu 20, Ubuntu 18, Centos 8) and disabling firewall on all of them, but I simply cannot get any ports to appear open to incoming connections.

The instance is on the same VCN and subnet as my running E2.1.Micro, with All Protocols allowed for 0.0.0.0/0 (both ingress and egress).

I simply DON'T understand why running a simple python server with python3 -m http.server works in my E2.1.Micro, but will not work in my A1.Flex no matter what I try. I've created and destroyed maybe 10 different instances so far banging my head against the table. What am I missing??

• @lollerskates said:
    I'm having an issue getting any A1.Flex instances to be port-accessible on WAN.

I have tried creating several different flavors (Ubuntu 20, Ubuntu 18, Centos 8) and disabling firewall on all of them, but I simply cannot get any ports to appear open to incoming connections.

The instance is on the same VCN and subnet as my running E2.1.Micro, with All Protocols allowed for 0.0.0.0/0 (both ingress and egress).

I simply DON'T understand why running a simple python server with python3 -m http.server works in my E2.1.Micro, but will not work in my A1.Flex no matter what I try. I've created and destroyed maybe 10 different instances so far banging my head against the table. What am I missing??

Are you sure you flushed iptables by default Oracle all ports blocked

• @codelock said:
    Are you sure you flushed iptables by default Oracle all ports blocked

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I was flushing iptables but not using the firewall-cmd on the latest build with Oracle Linux:

sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=8000/tcp

sudo firewall-cmd --reload

Now it works. Maybe I was tired yesterday and testing old IPs? Not sure. Working now! :smile:

• @blsqls said:
    Is it possible to run an Android emulator with an Always Free Ampere A1 instance? Looking on Google to find some instructions but can't. There is a Genymotion thing on marketplace but I think that can't be used with Always Free right? Can someone give some insight?

no idea anyone?

• Anyone here managed to install a custom iso on arm instance?

• OujiOuji Member
    edited November 2021

I'm overusing some resources for months and my cost analysis says something about $100 in chargers, but I'm not being charged just yet. I'm removing all overused resources.

• @codelock said:
    Anyone here managed to install a custom iso on arm instance?

You can't attach an ISO unless you do something hacky but some time ago I did have success installing Debian using netboot.xyz.
    It's been so long I couldn't tell you everything, but I believe I stuffed the netboot.xyz ARM64/UEFI file into the EFI System Partition and used the Serial connection to boot it from "Boot a file" of the UEFI configuration menu.

systemctl reboot --firmware-setup would be your friend there.

edited November 2021

@Erisa said: You can't attach an ISO unless you do something hacky but some time ago I did have success installing Debian using netboot.xyz.
    It's been so long I couldn't tell you everything, but I believe I stuffed the netboot.xyz ARM64/UEFI file into the EFI System Partition and used the Serial connection to boot it from "Boot a file" of the UEFI configuration menu.

For merely installing Debian there is no need to rely on vague memory and hacky tricks, as there's a honed out and working script posted above, to do that.

Does not answer the ISO question though. Personally I wonder a bit if there are "ISO" at all on ARM, as ARM machines do not typically use CD-ROM drives (and hence the ISO format). And certainly there's no way to attach one on Oracle Cloud.

@codelock Which OS are you looking to install?

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited November 2021

@rm_ said: For merely installing Debian there is no need to rely on vague memory and hacky tricks, as there's a honed out and working script posted above, to do that.

Okay? Would you prefer I had mentioned nothing at all? More information is better than less, I generally find.

Personally I find a script to convert one distro to another to be more "hacky" than a fresh netinstall, the way that netinstall was booted doesn't matter in the end.
    Other people will disagree, and that's fine. Do whichever method you want.
    And the same knowledge could be likely applied to anything else supported by netboot.xyz, which is the main reason I mentioned it, though that point could have been articulated better.

@rm_ said: Personally I wonder a bit if there are "ISO" at all on ARM, as ARM machines do not typically use CD-ROM drives (and hence the ISO format). And certainly there's no way to attach one on Oracle Cloud.

When creating a generic ARM virtual machine with KVM, you will still rely on virtual CD-ROMs with ISOs. The physical devices generally don't have them, but a UEFI is still a UEFI and it will still work fine if the hardware has one. There are ARM64 ISOs available for Debian and some versions of Ubuntu, but it goes without saying they won't be much help here.

One thing you could try that I haven't (and can't, I'm all full up on VMs), is the possibility of dding the ISO to a brand new block storage volume and booting from that with the aforementioned UEFI configuration menu.
    Just an idea, maybe I shouldn't mention untested ideas, but I decided I might as well anyway. If it doesn't work, at least I tried.

--
    Small edit: I'm sorry if my respones came off strong or nonsensical, I'm not having the very best of days and it probably shows. Best wishes to all

edited November 2021

@Erisa said: Personally I find a script to convert one distro to another to be more "hacky" than a fresh netinstall

It does a fresh netinstall, just prepares everything automatically for the user so that the installer is booted after a system reboot.

Here is the script: https://github.com/bohanyang/debi

Thanked by 1Erisa