Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 31
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• So one thing I didn't see until I read further was that the x86 instances are bound to the 1-ad (availability zone) but the Ampere instances can be in any AD. So if you are getting out of capacity for ARM, try the other ones. I had to go back and activate a few that I thought were out of capacity but just in that AD.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@daxterfellowes said: So if you are getting out of capacity for ARM, try the other ones. I had to go back and activate a few that I thought were out of capacity but just in that AD.

Never got any better result with selecting a specific AD, rather than leaving it at "Let Oracle choose the best one".

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited September 2021

i feel oracle cloud is having the worst and confusing control panel ever.. whenever I login it says 404 error.. it was working fine before

• @praveen said:
    i feel oracle cloud is having the worst and confusing control panel ever.. whenever I login it says 404 error.. it was working fine before

Use Chrome, I had a lot problems in other browsers

Thanked by 1praveen
  • @praveen said:

For me, it doesn't work in any official browser (chrome, edge, ff) but works with unsupported Brave. It's bonkers.

• @TimboJones said:

@praveen said:

For me, it doesn't work in any official browser (chrome, edge, ff) but works with unsupported Brave. It's bonkers.

Yup their panel is very bad, most buggy one I ever used.

• any free trial/tier should by design encourage to using such service

for me any experience with Oracle Cloud make me feeling qiete opposite - I would never want to use it commercially

I would never knew how much I will be billed at the end of month and stupid limitations or impediments are countless

• @Andrews said:
    any free trial/tier should by design encourage to using such service

for me any experience with Oracle Cloud make me feeling qiete opposite - I would never want to use it commercially

I would never knew how much I will be billed at the end of month and stupid limitations or impediments are countless

only idiots use this free tier for production. it's only okay for vpn, testing stuff, and cociusm.

• AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited September 2021

@creep said:
    only idiots use this free tier for production. it's only okay for vpn, testing stuff, and cociusm.

sure, I meant switching from Free Tier (used for tests only) to paid account (to use for production)

• edited September 2021

@creep said:

@Andrews said:

I mean, it's pretty solid, even given being a free tier. This is from my first account and is considered my core infrastructure (since it's a credentials manager):

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • i tried on chrome as well.. same issue.. :{

• @Andrews said:

@creep said:

sure, I meant switching from Free Tier (used for tests only) to paid account (to use for production)

loners like us have no place in expensive infra. our level is Lowend stuff. So stop questioning their expensive stuff, the bandwidth and bills and yada yada.

• @Andrews said:

There's a cost analytics report to know this.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    So one thing I didn't see until I read further was that the x86 instances are bound to the 1-ad (availability zone) but the Ampere instances can be in any AD. So if you are getting out of capacity for ARM, try the other ones. I had to go back and activate a few that I thought were out of capacity but just in that AD.

So the compute instance is still free if you create an A1.flex always free outside of your home region? So if my home region was UK I could create one in Canada and it still be free? Do they then charge you for the boot volumes though on the instance outside your home region?
    If yes, Does anyone know what the cost would be for having one 50GB boot volume outside your home region? As if its fairly cheap ill go for it. As I have been trying for ages to get one of the always free Ampere in my home region and they just don't seem to be available.

• @UKCC1 said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    So one thing I didn't see until I read further was that the x86 instances are bound to the 1-ad (availability zone) but the Ampere instances can be in any AD. So if you are getting out of capacity for ARM, try the other ones. I had to go back and activate a few that I thought were out of capacity but just in that AD.

So the compute instance is still free if you create an A1.flex always free outside of your home region? So if my home region was UK I could create one in Canada and it still be free? Do they then charge you for the boot volumes though on the instance outside your home region?
    If yes, Does anyone know what the cost would be for having one 50GB boot volume outside your home region? As if its fairly cheap ill go for it. As I have been trying for ages to get one of the always free Ampere in my home region and they just don't seem to be available.

These zones are in one location that you selected. Oracle Servers are divided between 3 zones so they can migrate between them in case problems occur in one of them, thats why they are called "availability zones".

If you create one VPS in AD-2 and second in AD-1 you can be sure that they will be in completly different server so in case of hardware failure you can switch to different one. If both are in same zone they can be on same physical server so both of then would go down which is bad for availability of your services, so you need to place them on different availability zone for high availability.

Because zones are dividing server that means one of them can have free resources for another ARM virtual instance while other zones do not. Pretty simple :)

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited September 2021

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Training and Certification seems to be free through December 31.

https://education.oracle.com/en/learn/oracle-cloud-infrastructure/pPillar_640/

Last time I noticed -- a couple of months ago, I don't remember -- I seem to recall they were charging greater than $100 for the certification, but the training was free.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Thanked by 3AXYZE Ouji Bardulf
  • Oracle's servers are already overcrowded. :p

• @heringer said:
    What Control Panel you managed to use with Oracle Arm?

I've only managed to get aaPanel working, but the TTFB is horrendous (2000 ms to 8000ms) with LEMP + WordPress.

As I'm quite noob, I think that another panel that isn't shady would be great.

Ive not tried it out myself yet as still waiting for Ampere instances to be available in my home area, but Webmin works on the Raspberry Pi which also has Arm CPU, so I think it should work on these Ampere instances as well

• I use the ARM instance for torrents, the upload speed is amazing (30MB/s), currently havent receive any warning.
    For those who cant get the Arm instance (out of capacity), try this
    https://hitrov.medium.com/resolving-oracle-cloud-out-of-capacity-issue-and-getting-free-vps-with-4-arm-cores-24gb-of-6ecd5ede6fcc
    https://github.com/hitrov/oci-arm-host-capacity

• @UKCC1 said:

@heringer said:
    What Control Panel you managed to use with Oracle Arm?

I've only managed to get aaPanel working, but the TTFB is horrendous (2000 ms to 8000ms) with LEMP + WordPress.

As I'm quite noob, I think that another panel that isn't shady would be great.

Ive not tried it out myself yet as still waiting for Ampere instances to be available in my home area, but Webmin works on the Raspberry Pi which also has Arm CPU, so I think it should work on these Ampere instances as well

I can confirm webmin does work on the Ampere ARM instances, installed on a 2 cpu 12GB instance with Oracle Linux 8.4. Had to manually create an admin login for webmin from ssh instructions here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36327209/creating-new-admin-webmin-user-in-shell
    And open port 10000 on the linux firewall and also on the security list for the network in the oracle admin interface
    But once that was done i could login to webmin OK, had to tweak some setting for getting webmin to recognise the install locations for apache and mariadb, but that might just be an oracle linux issue. I have yet to try it on my other ubuntu based Ampere instance.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited October 2021

@kaihavertz said:
    I use the ARM instance for torrents, the upload speed is amazing (30MB/s), currently havent receive any warning.
    For those who cant get the Arm instance (out of capacity), try this
    https://hitrov.medium.com/resolving-oracle-cloud-out-of-capacity-issue-and-getting-free-vps-with-4-arm-cores-24gb-of-6ecd5ede6fcc
    https://github.com/hitrov/oci-arm-host-capacity

You won't get a warning, you'll be suspended and blocked.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Can someone give a comparison between arm single core and x64 dual core? I saw a geekbench earlier but that was on Inten Xeon host. I'm currently having AMD EPYC 7551 hosts and was wondering if I should replace with 4 ARM or stay as 2 x64 2 ARM. I saw someone with 6 vms but I want to play safe with 200GB block storage.

• @Excalibur said:
    Can someone give a comparison between arm single core and x64 dual core? I saw a geekbench earlier but that was on Inten Xeon host. I'm currently having AMD EPYC 7551 hosts and was wondering if I should replace with 4 ARM or stay as 2 x64 2 ARM. I saw someone with 6 vms but I want to play safe with 200GB block storage.

2x ARM with 2x X86 with 50GB each is great.

• @Excalibur said:
    Can someone give a comparison between arm single core and x64 dual core? I saw a geekbench earlier but that was on Inten Xeon host. I'm currently having AMD EPYC 7551 hosts and was wondering if I should replace with 4 ARM or stay as 2 x64 2 ARM. I saw someone with 6 vms but I want to play safe with 200GB block storage.

x86 1 core/2 thread GB5 score is around: 350
    ARM single core GB5 is around 850 & 4 core around 3200. ARM has plenty of RAM & gigabit internet speed where's x86 has 50Mbps

• @Hakim said:

@Excalibur said:

ARM single core GB5 is around 850 & 4 core around 3200. ARM has plenty of RAM & gigabit internet speed where's x86 has 50Mbps

That's what I need. Thanks.

• @Excalibur said:

@Hakim said:

@Excalibur said:

That's what I need. Thanks.

More info: x86 Oracle Free instance isn't dual core, its dual thread (1OCPU = 1 Core & 2 Threads). Very important thing to remember is that this free OCPU is limited to 12.5% of real OCPU, thats why you dont see any performance difference between Single Core and Multi Core when you should have a little bit more points, because these are 2 threads.

Ampere A1 ARM processor isn't faster than EPYC, but on ARM instances you dont have this 1/8OCPU limit and thats why they are about 3x faster as long as software you run is optimized for ARM! Not everything is, for example .Net Core 3.1 is not fast on ARM, .NET 5 is much faster. You can have some software that can run worse on this "faster ARM".

I want to clarify this in case someone will draw wrong conclusions like if someone would think that EPYC on paid tier/other provider would get that same level of performance. It would be way higher.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited October 2021

I got a horrible message from the oracle.

I think, I never use this address, with oracle cloud.
    I check my two oracle cloud account, every account in free tier, and cost analysis show $0.

Oracle cloud költség túllépés => Oracle cloud cost overrun

• @dragon1993 said:
    I got a horrible message from the oracle.

I think, I never use this address, with oracle cloud.
    I check my two oracle cloud account, every account in free tier, and cost analysis show $0.

Oracle cloud költség túllépés => Oracle cloud cost overrun

"two oracle cloud account" so you abuse free service and then complain?

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited October 2021

Two account in one family, it's not an abuse.

• @dragon1993 said:
    Two account in one family, it's not an abuse.

A very technological family.. :p

Thanked by 1AXYZE