Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    โ€บ Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 3
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Oracle Cloud Free Tier

    135678

    Comments

    • umeume Member

      I can't even create a free VM. It always shows me "Out of host capacity."

      Either they were overrun with new signups or they had very little spare hardware for the free tier VMs and want people to buy the higher priced ones. No matter what, this gives a bad impression.

    • rm_rm_ Member

      ynzheng said: Out of host capacity.

      ume said: I can't even create a free VM. It always shows me "Out of host capacity."

      Please always say which DC you tried and got this.

    • ume said: No matter what, this gives a bad impression.

      Lol, it's free!

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @JohnMiller92 said:

      ume said: No matter what, this gives a bad impression.

      Lol, it's free!

      Oracle says:
      It's the right impression.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • I have $300 to use over 4 weeks.
      I guess I HAVE TO. ๐Ÿ˜

      Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    • rm_rm_ Member

      JohnMiller92 said: Lol, it's free!

      If you can't even create a VM, all it means you just gave your personal details and credit card to them for free.

    • Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

    • Got an instance running in Tokyo. Tried to create a second one but returns out of resource.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @razorblade said:
      Got an instance running in Tokyo. Tried to create a second one but returns out of resource.

      Can you do a speedtest-cli please?

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • rm_rm_ Member

      sanvit said: Can you do a speedtest-cli please?

      As posted before by others, the network is capped at about 50 Mbit.

      Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
      Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
      Testing from Oracle Public Cloud (xxxxx)...
      Selecting best server based on latency...
      Hosted by GLBB Japan (Tokyo) [46.63 km]: 2.427 ms
      Testing download speed........................................
      Download: 48.41 Mbit/s
      Testing upload speed..................................................
      Upload: 57.25 Mbit/s
    • @razorblade said:
      Got an instance running in Tokyo. Tried to create a second one but returns out of resource.

      u r so lucky

      can you let me know when you create your instance ?

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • nickwarenickware Member
      edited September 19

      Anyone having trouble opening ports in their firewall? I opened ports in the Security List tied to my instance. It worked, but when I rebooted the instance, I can no longer connect to those ports. Can't complain too much, though...it's free. I guess I will try Oracle support.

      Edit: Nevermind, I added:

      -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport <MYPORT#> -j ACCEPT

      to /etc/iptables/rules.v4 to enable the port and it worked. Apparently UFW can cause issues with Oracle Instances.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • djndjn Member
      edited September 19
      -------------------------------------------------
       nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
       benchmark timestamp:    2019-09-19 17:47:34 UTC
      -------------------------------------------------
      
      Processor:    AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
      CPU cores:    2
      Frequency:    1996.248 MHz
      RAM:          982M
      Swap:         -
      Kernel:       Linux 4.15.0-1021-oracle x86_64
      
      Disks:
      loop0   88.7M  HDD
      loop1   14.1M  HDD
      loop2   83.4M  HDD
      loop3     89M  HDD
      sda   46.6G  HDD
      
      CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
          10.556 seconds
      CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
          20.502 seconds
      CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
          4.138 seconds
      
      ioping: seek rate
          min/avg/max/mdev = 348.3 us / 614.0 us / 17.5 ms / 340.6 us
      ioping: sequential read speed
          generated 1.13 k requests in 5.00 s, 281.5 MiB, 225 iops, 56.3 MiB/s
      
      dd: sequential write speed
          1st run:    48.64 MiB/s
          2nd run:    49.40 MiB/s
          3rd run:    49.40 MiB/s
          average:    49.15 MiB/s
      
      IPv4 speedtests
          your IPv4:    132.xxx.xx.xxxx
      
          Cachefly CDN:         5.29 MiB/s
          Leaseweb (NL):        5.55 MiB/s
          Softlayer DAL (US):   3.47 MiB/s
          Online.net (FR):      5.60 MiB/s
          OVH BHS (CA):         5.49 MiB/s
      
      No IPv6 connectivity detected
      -------------------------------------------------
      

      London

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @rm_ said:

      JohnMiller92 said: Lol, it's free!

      If you can't even create a VM, all it means you just gave your personal details and credit card to them for free.

      Start an auction if you think your personal details are worth much to anyone, I'm sure there'll be a bidding war.

    • Worked good for me in Canada. Free teir vps didn't display initially but worked fine after reloging

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Those Asian DCs are like Area51, except a horde of people actually showed up.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks

      Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    • @sanvit said:

      @razorblade said:
      Got an instance running in Tokyo. Tried to create a second one but returns out of resource.

      Can you do a speedtest-cli please?

      Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
      Selecting best server based on ping...
      Hosted by GLBB Japan (Tokyo) [46.63 km]: 2.312 ms
      Testing download speed................................................................................
      Download: 48.57 Mbit/s
      Testing upload speed................................................................................................
      Upload: 43.42 Mbit/s

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @ynzheng said:

      @razorblade said:
      Got an instance running in Tokyo. Tried to create a second one but returns out of resource.

      u r so lucky

      can you let me know when you create your instance ?

      17 Sep. But my IP has already been blocked by GFW.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Tokyo


      nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh

      benchmark timestamp: 2019-09-20 07:54:43 UTC

      Processor: AMD EPYC 7551 32-Core Processor
      CPU cores: 2
      Frequency: 1996.242 MHz
      RAM: 982M
      Swap: -
      Kernel: Linux 4.15.0-1023-oracle x86_64

      Disks:
      loop0 88.7M HDD
      loop1 14.1M HDD
      loop2 89M HDD
      sda 46.6G HDD

      CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
      11.711 seconds
      CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
      18.982 seconds
      CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
      4.231 seconds

      ioping: seek rate
      min/avg/max/mdev = 381.1 us / 608.4 us / 25.0 ms / 398.9 us
      ioping: sequential read speed
      generated 1.12 k requests in 5.00 s, 279.5 MiB, 223 iops, 55.9 MiB/s

      dd: sequential write speed
      1st run: 48.83 MiB/s
      2nd run: 49.30 MiB/s
      3rd run: 49.21 MiB/s
      average: 49.11 MiB/s

      IPv4 speedtests
      your IPv4: 140.238.35.xxxx

      Cachefly CDN:         5.58 MiB/s
      Leaseweb (NL):        4.61 MiB/s
      Softlayer DAL (US):   0.00 MiB/s
      Online.net (FR):      4.82 MiB/s
      OVH BHS (CA):         4.81 MiB/s
      

      No IPv6 connectivity detected

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • I'm lucky to have 2 instances in Germany.

      Does anyone know how to reinstall an instance ? Or does one need to delete one and create a new one (with the risk of having another IP address or getting an "out of capacity" message) ?

      Also: anyone tried to install Windows on such a machine ? Not sure it is supported in the "always free" tier though...

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @wlambrechts said:
      I'm lucky to have 2 instances in Germany.

      Does anyone know how to reinstall an instance ? Or does one need to delete one and create a new one (with the risk of having another IP address or getting an "out of capacity" message) ?

      Also: anyone tried to install Windows on such a machine ? Not sure it is supported in the "always free" tier though...

      Reserve an IP address. That's how you don't have any worry to loosing IP.
      Windows doesn't qualify as "always free".

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • hzrhzr Member, Moderator

      TimboJones said: Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Are you running ad block or anything? They do a bunch of device fingerprinting that will result in rejection if you block it.

    • @hzr said:

      TimboJones said: Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Are you running ad block or anything? They do a bunch of device fingerprinting that will result in rejection if you block it.

      Ah thanks! I even use all available cards and they denied all of it. And you're right it's because:
      1. I'm using pi-hole adblock
      2. My CITY address is different from the IP address location.
      All good now ๐Ÿ‘Œ

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @NanoG6 said:

      @hzr said:

      TimboJones said: Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Are you running ad block or anything? They do a bunch of device fingerprinting that will result in rejection if you block it.

      Ah thanks! I even use all available cards and they denied all of it. And you're right it's because:
      1. I'm using pi-hole adblock
      2. My CITY address is different from the IP address location.
      All good now ๐Ÿ‘Œ

      lol number 2. if that is the case, I will 100% out of luck since I will always have different city address from my IP location.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks

      You're so tight, baby.

    • @creep said:

      @NanoG6 said:

      @hzr said:

      TimboJones said: Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Are you running ad block or anything? They do a bunch of device fingerprinting that will result in rejection if you block it.

      Ah thanks! I even use all available cards and they denied all of it. And you're right it's because:
      1. I'm using pi-hole adblock
      2. My CITY address is different from the IP address location.
      All good now ๐Ÿ‘Œ

      lol number 2. if that is the case, I will 100% out of luck since I will always have different city address from my IP location.

      Oooh that's why I open ip2location and maxmind first before signing up ๐Ÿ˜‚. Seems like you don't need to entry your actual address.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • bloodyprince said: Reserve an IP address. That's how you don't have any worry to loosing IP.

      Is reserving IP address is part of "Always free" quota? Also, there doesn't seem to be any way one can reinstall the OS without terminating the instance. Did anyone try this?

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @dfroe said:
      Anybody managed to (easily) install Debian?

      There does not seem to be any support for custom ISO, virtual media, iPXE or even KVM console to manually install OS from scratch.

      I guess dd'ing a raw disk image over the virtual hard disk won't work due to UEFI and some oracle cloud magic required to properly boot the VM.

      Installing Debian via debootstrap from Ubuntu looks a bit reckless and might also brick the bootloader.

      Building an image with bootstrap-vz only supports aged Debian jessie.
      https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/OracleComputeImage

      Any other promising ideas howto get a Debian for free - or success stories? :)

      You can easily create latest Debian LXC container inside your instance and forward any port you need to it.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Can you guys select always free tier? It originally just showed up something like 'Host node out of capacity', but I don't even see the option for it anymore.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Wait a few minutes.

      The micro class VMs 'unlocked' itself after a few logout/logins.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks

      Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    • rm_rm_ Member

      sanvit said: Can you guys select always free tier? It originally just showed up something like 'Host node out of capacity', but I don't even see the option for it anymore.

      Maybe you added and selected another DC? The free one is only available in the "Home Region" you chose on sign-up.

    • @rm_ said:

      sanvit said: Can you guys select always free tier? It originally just showed up something like 'Host node out of capacity', but I don't even see the option for it anymore.

      Maybe you added and selected another DC? The free one is only available in the "Home Region" you chose on sign-up.

      Ohhhh adding a DC makes me disqualified..? I though as long as I created the VM on my home regiom, I'm good. Welp... :(

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • rm_rm_ Member

      sanvit said: Ohhhh adding a DC makes me disqualified..? I though as long as I created the VM on my home regiom, I'm good.

      No it only means there will be no free VMs in the added DC. You can use the 300 EUR of the trial credit to try some paid VMs there for a month until the credit expires.

      When you switch back to the home region DC, you can still create up to 2 free ones there.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • did anyone manage to make the compute instant run a vpn?
      I ran this
      https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

      however I cant connect to it
      windows say remote server isnt responding
      cant connect to it via android either

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @rm_ said:

      sanvit said: Ohhhh adding a DC makes me disqualified..? I though as long as I created the VM on my home regiom, I'm good.

      No it only means there will be no free VMs in the added DC. You can use the 300 EUR of the trial credit to try some paid VMs there for a month until the credit expires.

      When you switch back to the home region DC, you can still create up to 2 free ones there.

      Hmmm that's weird then. It doesn't show up on my home region either.

      BTW, for those who are interested, the 10TB free outbound traffic also seems like it counts towards paid VMs and object storage (and you get 20GB of it as long as you don't upgrade - you get 10GB object storage and 10GB archive storage if you do), which seems to make the VMs pretty cheap even for the paid tier (8GB RAM with 100GB block storage and 10TB outbound @700Mbps costs $0.03/hr (~$23/mo) and free while it's turned off).

      However, network was a complete shit, even for the higher tier that claims to have 2Gbps connectivity (at least on South Korea). And if you're using ubuntu, I highly recommend using ubuntu's repo instead of the default one (change the long url to http://{CountryCode}.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu). The default repo is super slow... :(

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @muneebrocks said:
      did anyone manage to make the compute instant run a vpn?
      I ran this
      https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

      however I cant connect to it
      windows say remote server isnt responding
      cant connect to it via android either

      Open port on cloud panel + iptable

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • muneebrocksmuneebrocks Member
      edited September 21

      @dragon1993 said:

      @muneebrocks said:
      did anyone manage to make the compute instant run a vpn?
      I ran this
      https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn

      however I cant connect to it
      windows say remote server isnt responding
      cant connect to it via android either

      Open port on cloud panel + iptable

      hey so I opened all ports on the cloud panel

      and isnt iptables covered by the script?

      looking at the script's source code
      I think these iptables have been added

      # Add IPTables rules for VPN if [ "$ipt_flag" = "1" ]; then service fail2ban stop >/dev/null 2>&1 iptables-save > "$IPT_FILE.old-$SYS_DT" iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 1701 -m policy --dir in --pol none -j DROP iptables -I INPUT 2 -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP iptables -I INPUT 3 -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -I INPUT 4 -p udp -m multiport --dports 500,4500 -j ACCEPT iptables -I INPUT 5 -p udp --dport 1701 -m policy --dir in --pol ipsec -j ACCEPT iptables -I INPUT 6 -p udp --dport 1701 -j DROP iptables -I FORWARD 1 -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP iptables -I FORWARD 2 -i "$NET_IFACE" -o ppp+ -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -I FORWARD 3 -i ppp+ -o "$NET_IFACE" -j ACCEPT iptables -I FORWARD 4 -i ppp+ -o ppp+ -s "$L2TP_NET" -d "$L2TP_NET" -j ACCEPT iptables -I FORWARD 5 -i "$NET_IFACE" -d "$XAUTH_NET" -m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -I FORWARD 6 -s "$XAUTH_NET" -o "$NET_IFACE" -j ACCEPT # Uncomment if you wish to disallow traffic between VPN clients themselves # iptables -I FORWARD 2 -i ppp+ -o ppp+ -s "$L2TP_NET" -d "$L2TP_NET" -j DROP # iptables -I FORWARD 3 -s "$XAUTH_NET" -d "$XAUTH_NET" -j DROP iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s "$XAUTH_NET" -o "$NET_IFACE" -m policy --dir out --pol none -j MASQUERADE iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s "$L2TP_NET" -o "$NET_IFACE" -j MASQUERADE echo "# Modified by hwdsl2 VPN script" > "$IPT_FILE" iptables-save >> "$IPT_FILE"

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • muneebrocksmuneebrocks Member
      edited September 21

      this my cloud control panel rules

      https://imgur.com/a/bO7SBqC

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • farsighterfarsighter Member
      edited September 21

      Once you're done with opening all ports in account panel (Security Lists) you can delete all iptables rules using the following terminal command:

      iptables -F && iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT && iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT && iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT && iptables -t nat -F && iptables -t mangle -F && iptables -X

      Then you just set your own rules from scratch as needed.

      To make iptables rules permanent (so it survives reboot) :

      iptables-save > /etc/iptables/rules.v4

    • muneebrocksmuneebrocks Member
      edited September 21

      @farsighter said:
      Once you're done with opening all ports in account panel (Security Lists) you can delete all iptables rules using the following terminal command:

      iptables -F && iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT && iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT && iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT && iptables -t nat -F && iptables -t mangle -F && iptables -X

      Then you just set your own rules from scratch as needed.

      To make iptables rules permanent (so it survives reboot) :

      iptables-save > /etc/iptables/rules.v4

      I tried that

      these are my iptable rules


      still nothing
      ![](https://i.paste.pics/748b9ca58cbd529af6b608886290e659.png
      https://paste.pics/748b9ca58cbd529af6b608886290e659)

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @muneebrocks said:
      this my cloud control panel rules

      https://imgur.com/a/bO7SBqC

      apt install iptables-persistent
      iptables -F
      iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
      netfilter-persistent save 
      

      Ingress Rules

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • Host node capacity error is a good sign, they will then set limit on free tier.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @dragon1993 said:

      @muneebrocks said:
      this my cloud control panel rules

      https://imgur.com/a/bO7SBqC

      > apt install iptables-persistent
      > iptables -F
      > iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
      > netfilter-persistent save 
      > 

      hey I followed these steps

      still cant connect.

      if you dont mind me asking did you manage to get it working in your system?

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • muneebrocks said: hey I followed these steps

      still cant connect.

      if you dont mind me asking did you manage to get it working in your system?

      I opened all port, with this method, and work fine.
      I not installed ipsec vpn, but shadowsock work fine from docker image.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • hey so proxy works. I am using squid3 personally and it works

      for some reason I cant get the ipsec vpn to work

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • rm_rm_ Member

      muneebrocks said: cant get the ipsec vpn to work

      Maybe because of their NAT, where you don't get a public IP on the VPS, but only a 10.0.0.x IP. Try WireGuard or OpenVPN instead. WireGuard works, I use it just fine.

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • i dont think its nat they have given me 1 ip that I can use to connect to ssh and use as a web server

      reason I wanted ipsec is native windows and android support

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @muneebrocks said:
      i dont think its nat they have given me 1 ip that I can use to connect to ssh and use as a web server

      reason I wanted ipsec is native windows and android support

      I try this ipsec docker image and work fine.
      https://github.com/hwdsl2/docker-ipsec-vpn-server

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • So I haven't been able to create any instances in AD-2 in the US West (Phoenix) region. I can create them in AD-1/3 but not 2. Finally decided to call Oracle support up and generate a sev 2 ticket for it (they'll only respond during business hours for it anyways). Was an interesting experience but I want to get down to the root cause...

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @hzr said:

      TimboJones said: Just getting "session expired" when trying to add credit card. Will try again later.

      Are you running ad block or anything? They do a bunch of device fingerprinting that will result in rejection if you block it.

      Yes, I am. As I run into problems, I then disable them, but I'll try from somewhere else.

      Thanks

      Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    Sign In or Register to comment.