Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 2
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• all of mines on idle i dont know why i signed up heck free is free

Thanked by 1receivedthanks
    • @hacktek said:
      Slow AF. Time to wait for everyone to start idling these boxes but the performance currently (cpu, disk, network) is very bad.

I think it's capped, rather than impacted by others on the same node.

• Can't create a VM, I get "Authorization failed or requested resource not found." Anyone else see this?

• @tetech said:
      Control panel seems like a nightmare. How do you create an encryption key for a volume? I just get "not authorized" all the time.

Answer: "The Key Management service is not available to promo customers."

• donli said: Just be happy you're not limited to running Solaris.

It's dead, Jim. Oracle killed further SPARC development (only Fujitsu is still carrying the SPARC flag) and while they're still maintaining Solaris, it's in maintenance-only mode.

They're just doing Linux these days.

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• Meh, it'll work great for a shared dev database system. Have it replicate out to some other free resources. I'll take it.

• rm_rm_ Member

dfroe said: You gave up to early - or didn't read the Oracle Cloud manual.

You need to go to "Object Storage" and create a "Bucket". There you can upload files. When you open the details of an uploaded file, you can retrieve the url of that file. With that url in your clipboard you can create a "Custom Image". The options qcow2 and paravirtualized seem to make the most sense to me.

I'm not so sure. QCOW2 is QEMU's own disk format, it's a full image of a filesystem, like the one you make with "dd" (except here the internal format is more complex, to support Copy-on-write and such). On the other hand what you create in the bootstrap-vz document, is a "tar.gz", and that one sounded to me like it will be just all files from the root filesystem packed into an archive. Not an FS image, but rather just all files from it. Maybe it was a wrong impression. Let us know if you get any further success.

As for IP responding to ARP, that might be the UEFI's netboot support, or something.

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited September 18

raindog308 said: Oracle isn't interested in people running Debian. Their market is enterprises running big Java stacks, Oracle databases, Weblogic, Peoplesoft, and other grody enterprise apps. Probably 99% of their clients run either RHEL or OEL.

Still they do offer Ubuntu on these, and even a recent version (18.04). Would not be surprised if they add Debian down the line, after getting enough requests (from someone actually paying :)

• marrcomarrco Member
      edited September 18

ifconfig and route command return only internal IPs (10.0.x.x) is there a firewall panel somewhere?

• You can add additional ingress rules. (port 22 is already whitelisted)
      egress is allow-all by default

Down with the sic_K_ness...
      The doctor might be going K-razy with the low end spirit. 😉

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited September 18

marrco said: is there a firewall panel somewhere?

Yes there is, click through from your instance properties to "Subnet", then to "Public subnet ...........", then to "Default Security List".

Also most ICMP is blocked by default so the instances don't ping, you have to allow ICMP there if you want them to (for monitoring and such).

• thx @rm_ Did you find where to set the ptr? closest I can get is "DNS Domain Name: DNS isn’t enabled for this VCN" but I'm not even sure that's the right option to set the FQDN for the public IP

• rm_rm_ Member

marrco said: Did you find where to set the ptr?

No. Doesn't seem to be any way to set it.

• marrcomarrco Member
      edited September 18

$ sudo virt-what
      kvm

so we can reclaim some free space with

tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sda1

and It looks like there's no swap space set as a default.

EDIT: as rm_ wrote, it already defaults to -m 0 so that's not a good idea!

• rm_rm_ Member

marrco said: so we can reclaim some free space with

tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sda1

No, it appears to have been set as "-m 0" by default already on mine, and by applying "-m 1" you will actually reduce the available space.

• isn't "-m 0" a little too dangerous?

I'm still exploring this cloud service, so I'm just sharing my findings. And you're right that setting "-m 1" the free space decreases, and on a newly created server

~$ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep 'Reserved'
      Reserved block count: 0
      Reserved GDT blocks: 250
      Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
      Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)

• marrcomarrco Member
      edited September 18

To create a persistent 1GB swapfile in the Ubuntu 1804 LTS (there's no Debian template in Oracle Cloud)

sudo fallocate -l 1G /swapfile
      sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
      sudo mkswap /swapfile
      sudo swapon /swapfile
      echo "/swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
      sudo swapon --show

swappiness is already set at 60

• Has anybody managed to get a working apache or nginx server on this thing (with Ubuntu 1804)?

I've tried both servers, disabled iptables completely (ufw disable), added rules (ingress tcp 80) to Network Security Lists, put Apache/Nginx to listen to local or my assigned 10.xxx IPs or to "*" or to "0.0.0.0".

I can modify Security Lists in order to allow pings and to enable/disable/limit SSH connections but I cannot make it listen and answer to stupid, plain http.

Jesus! I think I am going nuts over this! What obvious shit am I missing?

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited September 18

tdelenikas said: disabled iptables completely (ufw disable)

Maybe you somehow didn't disable them fully? Port 80 also didn't work for me by default, but works after iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT.

As for their panel firewall, I just created such rule, both on Ingress and Egress:

• marrcomarrco Member
      edited September 18

on an empty server
      sudo iptables -L gives

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
      target prot opt source destination
      ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
      ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere
      ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp spt:ntp
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
      REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
      REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
      InstanceServices all -- anywhere link-local/16

Chain InstanceServices (1 references)
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.0.2 owner UID match root tcp dpt:iscsi-target /* See the Oracle-Provided Images section in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation for security impact of modifying or removing this rule /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.2.0/24 owner UID match root tcp dpt:iscsi-target /
      See the Oracle-Provided Images section in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation for security impact of modifying or removing this rule /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.0.2 tcp dpt:http /
      See the Oracle-Provided Images section in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation for security impact of modifying or removing this rule /
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 udp dpt:domain /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 tcp dpt:domain /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.0.3 owner UID match root tcp dpt:http /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.0.4 tcp dpt:http /
      ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 tcp dpt:http /
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 udp dpt:bootps /
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 udp dpt:tftp /
      ACCEPT udp -- anywhere 169.254.169.254 udp dpt:ntp /
      REJECT tcp -- anywhere link-local/16 tcp /
      See the Oracle-Provided Images section in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation for security impact of modifying or removing this rule / reject-with tcp-reset
      REJECT udp -- anywhere link-local/16 udp /
      See the Oracle-Provided Images section in the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure documentation for security impact of modifying or removing this rule */ reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

and in https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/Compute/References/images.htm

Essential Firewall Rules

All Oracle-provided images include rules that allow only "root" on Linux instances [..] to make outgoing connections to the iSCSI network endpoints (169.254.0.2:3260, 169.254.2.0/24:3260) that serve the instance's boot and block volumes.

Oracle recommends that you do not reconfigure the firewall on your instance to remove these rules. Removing these rules allows non-root users or non-administrators to access the instance’s boot disk volume.

Oracle recommends that you do not create custom images without these rules unless you understand the security risks.

Running Uncomplicated Firewall (UFW) on Ubuntu images may cause issues with these rules, so Oracle recommends that you do not enable UFW on your instances. See Ubuntu Instance fails to reboot after enabling Uncomplicated Firewall (UFW) for more information.

so I guess we need to use iptables to add INPUT rules for services (default to allow only ssh) without deleting other rules

• @rm_ @marrco : Thank you, it worked. :smile:

• Out of host capacity.

• Free user can overuse resource?
      I don't like suprise invoice.

• cannot register while using my credit card...

• @dragon1993 said:
      Free user can overuse resource?

just dont. the reason free things are no longer free because of abuse.

You're so tight, baby.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
      edited September 18

@creep said:

@dragon1993 said:

So, i can't use paid services without upgrade account to paid account?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
      edited September 18

@creep said:

@dragon1993 said:

overuse != abuse.

I think he meant chance of being charged unwillingly for exceeding limits

@JerryHou you can ask their chat

• @farsighter said:

@creep said:

@dragon1993 said:

overuse != abuse.

I think he meant chance of being charged unwillingly for exceeding limits

overuse is a polite term for abuse. I'm a creep, i cant be polite.

You're so tight, baby.

• @JerryHou said:
      cannot register while using my credit card...

Depends on where you live, i think they have problem with Southeast Asia people. Maybe its only me, correct me if im wrong. I even used my two debit cards and one credit card. All are declined.

You're so tight, baby.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
      edited September 18

@creep said:
      overuse is a polite term for abuse. I'm a creep, i cant be polite.

Misuse is a closer term for abuse. Overuse is just excessive use (which can be OK, or OK when paid).

• I like use for only legal things.
      I worry about unexpected costs.
      Example: I start a VM, i got $100 invoice end of month.
      AWS typically looks like this.

• @dragon1993 said:
      I like use for only legal things.

Open that window and ask their chat (no need to register). Then come back with an answer

• @dragon1993 said:
      So, i can't use paid services without upgrade account to paid account?

Duh.

• @farsighter said:

@dragon1993 said:

Open that window and ask their chat (no need to register). Then come back with an answer

Chat overloaded currently

• jsgjsg Member

Oracle? The company that basically dropped Sparc and all but killed Solaris and that is hardcore commercial?

Sure, what can go wrong becoming a product of theirs...

• marrcomarrco Member
      edited September 18

@dragon1993 said:

Paying for what is used should never be "unexpected". Often 'overuse' just means abusing resources you get. Like coin mining on a shared server or running intensive task ot the expense of your node neighbors. I use regular AWS services for years and never had 'unexpected' invoices, all my monthly invoices exactly reflect my use.

Don't start a VM if you don't like paying for what you (over)use.

If you have a doubt that your "use" can be considered 'overusing resources' why don't you buy a dedi so that you can rape your rented hardware 24/7?

• Specifications on the Free tier are not really clear.

If I understood it correctly: one can create 2 free VPS's (albeit in the same satacenter) within the always free tier ?

There is an overall limitation of a monthly 10 TB data in/out ? What if one would exceed this limit ?

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited September 18

wlambrechts said: one can create 2 free VPS's (albeit in the same satacenter) within the always free tier ?

This much is pretty clear. But I don't think the same-DC limitation is intended, just a side effect of how their limits are currently designed. Did anyone ask them about it, or everyone just staying within one DC only for the free instance? Seems like such a waste since they got so many diverse locations.

• luissousaluissousa Member
      edited September 18

How do you even create one of the free VMs?
      I can only see VM.Standard2.1, VM.Standard2.2, VM.Standard.E2.1 and VM.Standard.E2.2 which have way more resources than the free ones.

Edit: It finally appeared

• rm_rm_ Member

Neoon said: 10/10.

The key word is "Hello"

• NeoonNeoon Member
      edited September 18

@rm_ said:

Neoon said: 10/10.

The key word is "Hello"

Haha, thats not funny.

Really? ... and no the keyword is not "Hello".
      Its more like the phrase I used, since multiple attempts with Hello before failed.

Thanked by 2rm_ receivedthanks
    • Meh I can't sign up, credit card declined always.

• Zurich speedtest

Geekbench process killed

Thanked by 2Falzo receivedthanks
    • How long does it take to "activate" the account? I've received the initial email saying that they are reviewing my account, yesterday..

• @NanoG6 said:
      How long does it take to "activate" the account? I've received the initial email saying that they are reviewing my account, yesterday..

Got it activated in like 5 minutes.

• So they have my data (including credit card), and left me nowhere. Great.

• I've created a 50GB block volume (that's the minimal size system allows me) but when I try to attach it to VM system warns that my volume isn't s part of 'always free tier'....

I only have 1 VM up so wondering what's wrong. Their chat wasn't helpful they sent me to another team that was offline.
      Has anyone managed to attach a block volume under free tier limits?