Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was caught spamming!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I was caught spamming!

subhojitduttasubhojitdutta Member
edited September 2019 in Providers

Hello guys,

I have a marketing script, which I use for some of my travelling clients like tailors, art lawyers and even freelancers of various forms. They inform their clients via this script that they have arrived in their city and that there services are available in the city for the next few days. They only send these mails to their age-old clients and the script even sends a unsubscribe mail in case they dont want to be disturbed by these notices. Never faced any problems anywhere with this as the volumes would be something like 4-5k / month on average for all my clients.

I bought a subscription yesterday, had wished for a long time to do so being an active member of LowEndTalk and seeing @jarland for so many years posting these elusive offers. Was figuring out how to connect my script to MXRoute, somehow managed to it and one of my clients sent out a mail to his clients where he was at the time, and my account got terminated, no warning, no emails, didnt even cross the 7200 email limit. Tried to contact support and found out there is none. Paid for 3 years, and the service got terminated in 1 day, If i cannot be reinstated, aren’t I eligible for a refund? Also I got charged 639$ on top of that??? WTF? Need a reply ASAP.

They have charged 639$ for sending out mails? I have never faced such a situation anywhere in my life.

On a seperate note: Should I wait or should I raise a dispute? Also Am I at fault here? If anyone want to know the text of the message, I can also share that. And if I am, are these sort of charges justified?

Regards,
Subhojit Dutta.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Confirm you don't mind your account being banned when the other side of the story comes out please?

• good job mxroute for proactively suspend spammer.

Thanked by 4TimRoo jar Janevski malek
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

In this case the customer sent emails from a domain/email that indicated the intent of sending to a marketing mailing list, within 24 hours of signing up. It was apparent that this was intentional, and not a case of a compromised email account. Within one hour the customer sent 639 outbound emails to a mailing list that had not been verified. Some examples of fake recipients in the mailing list:

*@hotnail.com
    *@gmail.co
    *@yahoo.ff
    *@hp.com

While I recognize the last domain there was legitimate, I think it's safe to say they don't have a Hewlett Packard employee on the mailing list next to yahoo.ff and gmail.co.

This is a clear case of intentional unsolicited marketing email, and out of tens of thousands of users who use our service daily, marks only the second ever to be billed according to our policy.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Thanked by 3ViridWeb Janevski malek
  • @AnthonySmith I dont mind it being banned. I can share you the content of the emails. I am suspended from everywhere and not able to reply back. Is this sort of charge, Normal, as i have never faced as such and this script is regularly used in Hetzner.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Outgoing spam from our servers will not be tolerated. Spam is defined as unsolicited e-mail. All mailing lists must be double opt-in, meaning that clients must sign up and then verify their e-mail address to be added to your mailing list. Violations of this policy will result in service termination. Spam found to be intentional will result in us sharing your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, IP address, signup domain, and PayPal e-mail address with FraudRecord.com. Additionally, intentional unsolicited marketing emails will be billed at a rate of $1 per email.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Janevski
  • @jar as can be clearly understood that they are legitmiate clients and the lists are handwritten by my clients hence the errors. Everything is not automated here in India. There are bound to be mistakes while writing them by hand. How is it justification enough to ban and charge such humongous amounts?

• Also i did not purchase it on my personal account or appear to be some lazy wanderer who is looking to be mischevious. The plan was purchased under a legitimate company registered in India with proper documentation with public records.

• Jar is pretty vigilant about protecting this IP space from anything that could even remotely be called spam. I’m thankful for it. Some products just aren’t a match for everybody.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

subhojitdutta said: There are bound to be mistakes while writing them by hand. How is it justification enough to ban and charge such humongous amounts?

A double opt-in list is never 'written by hand' by definition. Clearly you did not read the ToS that you were agreeing to when signing up for MXroute. Thank you @jar for protecting my clients mail deliverability.

• There are people hitting near the 300 emails/hr limit without problem. If you have a high bounce rate, other providers (incl. the big names) will ban you.

According to the ToS, if you want to send marketing emails, you need to verify using double opt-in (send a confirmation email to verify if the recipient really intended to recieve such marketing emails from you), and only after than you can send marketing emails. If not double opt-in, it will be considered as unsolicited email, thus be charged $1/email. That's how he keeps the IPs clean, and most people are happy with it.

I'm pretty sure the email lists are not double opt-in since it includes non-existing domains.

Thanked by 2jar uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

This is what happens when one doesn't keep up with time.

• alento said: A double opt-in list is never 'written by hand' by definition. Clearly you did not read the ToS that you were agreeing to when signing up for MXroute. Thank you @jar for protecting my clients mail deliverability.

I definitely agree I am at fault here for not adherering to the double opt-in policy. But the straight thing is these rules dont necessarily apply to all countries and definitely not to all businesses and to expect it of them I think is ludicrous. I can understand the termination. But just to charge such huge fees without consultation, Isnt it a little too much?

edited September 2019

sanvit said: If not double opt-in, it will be considered as unsolicited email, thus be charged $1/email

To note there are many exceptions to this as well. Do I know you to be someone who wouldn't? Have you been with me for a year or more and this is out of character? The policy is there to send a message not to hurt my customers, and sometimes needs to be used to send that message. But I'm not out there trying to nickel and dime everyone for a profit. In fact, we all know at the end of this I'm probably paying out of pocket, but I will have sent the message that stops someone else from signing up to do the same thing. I do this for my customers, the people who trust me to provide better service than I'm charging them for.

• @subhojitdutta said:
    @jar as can be clearly understood that they are legitmiate clients and the lists are handwritten by my clients hence the errors. Everything is not automated here in India. There are bound to be mistakes while writing them by hand. How is it justification enough to ban and charge such humongous amounts?

You are responsible for keeping your clients' mailing lists clean. There are many email validation services that can help you keep bounce rates below the limits required by most service providers.

• @subhojitdutta said:

alento said: A double opt-in list is never 'written by hand' by definition. Clearly you did not read the ToS that you were agreeing to when signing up for MXroute. Thank you @jar for protecting my clients mail deliverability.

I definitely agree I am at fault here for not adherering to the double opt-in policy. But the straight thing is these rules dont necessarily apply to all countries and definitely not to all businesses and to expect it of them I think is ludicrous. I can understand the termination. But just to charge such huge fees without consultation, Isnt it a little too much?

Jarland is a pretty decent guy, and if you try to work out with him, I'm pretty sure this can be sorted out (as long as it's not obviously sending spam).

I just wish people would be rational enough to properly use the word "Scam".

• @jar I can understand that. All I am scared about is, that there was no sort of email notification, suspension, etc. Just terminated and then charged and then no way to communicate my legitimacy, how would you feel if something like this happened to you.

Thanked by 1NANO
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2019

@subhojitdutta said: I definitely agree I am at fault here for not adherering to the double opt-in policy. But the straight thing is these rules dont necessarily apply to all countries and definitely not to all businesses and to expect it of them I think is ludicrous.

But why shouldn't the rules (= the double opt-in policy) apply to all countries and to all businesses?

That would like saying that some countries and some businesses are allowed to spam, while others are not.

Thanked by 1kkrajk

I wouldn't go screaming in public, shouting "Scam". I can tell you that much.

• I suspect this thread will be good marketing for mxroute ...

@subhojitdutta the most charitable spin any reasonable person might be able to offer in your case is that you don't know what you're doing. But personally, I'm more inclined to call bullshit. I don't think you're really that stupid. Though I may be mistaken.

Seriously, your sloppy, selfish "marketing" scheme messes up a good, cheap service for everyone else. Do you really expect any sympathy? Hopefully you might stop and think, and try to learn something about how people view this type of idiotic behavior.

Thanked by 3TimRoo ITLabs vimalware
  • @subhojitdutta said:
    @jar I can understand that. All I am scared about is, that there was no sort of email notification, suspension, etc. Just terminated and then charged and then no way to communicate my legitimacy, how would you feel if something like this happened to you.

You should have recieved something about the community slack. You can get support there too. I do understand the frustration though, and I would also freak out if that kind of stuff happens to me. On these situations however, I would try to contact the provider and try to work it out, rather than comming to LET and open a thread mentioning that the provider in question is a SCAM.

sanvit said: You can get support there too

User was disabled on Slack and community. When I make this kind of determination I go all out to make sure that I'm not making a mistake. I have to be 1000% positive that I've identified this as exactly what I've said it to be. In that case, I really don't have anything further to discuss with the user.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @sanvit said:

@subhojitdutta said:
    @jar I can understand that. All I am scared about is, that there was no sort of email notification, suspension, etc. Just terminated and then charged and then no way to communicate my legitimacy, how would you feel if something like this happened to you.

You should have recieved something about the community slack. You can get support there too. I do understand the frustration though, and I would also freak out if that kind of stuff happens to me. On these situations however, I would try to contact the provider and try to work it out, rather than comming to LET and open a thread mentioning that the provider in question is a SCAM.

Yeah. We know Jar will probably drop the charges, but he certainly doesn’t HAVE to. Any time there’s discretion, it’s always best to bat your eyes a bit and try to win the other person over. This whole thread is an exercise in what not to do (at least the start of the thread is).

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @jar said:

sanvit said: You can get support there too

User was disabled on Slack and community. When I make this kind of determination I go all out to make sure that I'm not making a mistake. I have to be 1000% positive that I've identified this as exactly what I've said it to be. In that case, I really don't have anything further to discuss with the user.

Therefore cut all sort of communication and then no way out, I was banned from WHMCS. BANNED From Slack and from the community. Is this normal, and I did not write anything derogatory about mxroute there. They were legitimate concerns.

deank said: I wouldn't go screaming in public, shouting "Scam". I can tell you that much.

I have rescinded the same.

Me lashing out like this might be funny to some of the people here, but look at it like this.

NO EXPLANATION
    639$ charged to your CREDIT CARD
    NO EMAILS
    NO SUPPORT HELPDESK
    BANNED FROM ALL SUPPORT CHANNELS

I believe in reigning in the bad guys but I have explained this was ALL OFFICIAL, bought and paid for by a Pvt. Ltd. company in India where the users are not that technologically adept to have double opt-in mail. i agree it should not be that way. But I think even my side of the story should be heard.

I am okay with my services being terminated. But then there is no recourse. How can that be possible and okay.

Thanked by 1angelius

subhojitdutta said: NO EXPLANATION

That's not possible. You indicated that you knew the reason for the invoice, which you couldn't access in WHMCS. That means you received my emails, therefore you did receive an explanation.

edited September 2019

subhojitdutta said: I definitely agree I am at fault here for not adherering to the double opt-in policy. But the straight thing is these rules dont necessarily apply to all countries and definitely not to all businesses and to expect it of them I think is ludicrous. I can understand the termination. But just to charge such huge fees without consultation, Isnt it a little too much?

needsomeit.com is a SCAM, A SPAMMER MUST BE A SCAM, NEVER SUCH FRAUD.

https://www.needsomeit.com

www.needsomeit.com

Tectrix Host is a scam fraud spam sender.

That about sums up how I feel about these outrage its never my fault until it is posts.

When your sentence structure is blah blah I agree, BUT, you are always in the wrong, simple.

Good bye account.

@trewq @Jord he agreed to be banned if the other side of the story proved him wrong.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • subhojitduttasubhojitdutta Member
    edited September 2019

TimRoo said: Yeah. We know Jar will probably drop the charges, but he certainly doesn’t HAVE to. Any time there’s discretion, it’s always best to bat your eyes a bit and try to win the other person over. This whole thread is an exercise in what not to do (at least the start of the thread is).

No Sir, There was no indication that the charges would be dropped otherwise I wouldnt have made such a ruckus. I was a first time customer.

I Was banned from all channels without me bearing any ill will to @jar in those channels. Its when i was shunned, I got frustrated and lashed out here.

• @subhojitdutta said:
    I believe in reigning in the bad guys but I have explained this was ALL OFFICIAL, bought and paid for by a Pvt. Ltd. company in India where the users are not that technologically adept to have double opt-in mail. i agree it should not be that way. But I think even my side of the story should be heard.

For start, your company is the one providing the "marketing script". It doesn't matter if your customers are tech savvy or not. It is your company's responsibility to ensure that your customers' mailing lists are clean (valid emails) before being processed for delivery.

subhojitdutta said: Its when i was shunned, I got frustrated and lashed out here.

Grow up, get out.