Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a dedicated server with a specific concern
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a dedicated server with a specific concern

Hi,
I'm looking for a dedicated server with very high availability, 100% SLA, 16GB RAM, ~ 400GB SSD, at least 10TB bandwidth with 1gbps connection. But here is my main concern...

We sell some online courses through our website.
We accept referrals too. These days some people are sending emails that contain referral links to our website. And the receivers are making those are spam emails. So, our current hosting provider is reacting on that even after telling that, the outgoing emails weren't sent from our server, not even from our email address. Random people are sending emails that contain our website link and we don't have any control over that. We just can warn them and suspend their referral account. So, if we move our server to you, what will be your action if such incidents occur?

Comments

• chxchx Member
    edited September 2019

Site availability is a matter of compromises. As with everything in engineering, 100% is not achievable as the cost would be infinite. When https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Dyn_cyberattack comes to town, everyone goes down.

You can follow good HA practices -- but not with a single server, not even with a single datacenter. Maybe not your datacenter, maybe you are OK with going down only when Cloudflare does, many made that decision and it's shockingly cost effective.

Anyways, enough rambling, time to sleep, good luck with finding your unicorn!

Thanked by 2IFightCode Ouji
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

No one provider can guarantee 100% uptime. The closest option in TIER4 data center, but you should have good budget.

Tier 4 data center certification typically serve enterprise corporations and provide the following:

99.995% uptime per year (Tier 4 uptime)
    2N+1 fully redundant infrastructure (the main difference between tier 3 and tier 4 data centers)
    96-hour power outage protection
    26.3 minutes of annual downtime.

• @bacloud said:
    No one provider can guarantee 100% uptime. The closest option in TIER4 data center, but you should have good budget.

Tier 4 data center certification typically serve enterprise corporations and provide the following:

2N+1 fully redundant infrastructure (the main difference between tier 3 and tier 4 data centers)

100% SLA just means compensation for any downtime. Virmach does this. Auto credited and everything.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Do a high availability setup if you need close to 100% uptime. Grab two dedicated servers close-ish to each other (not within the same city), install your app on both servers, achieve data replication (how - that will depend on which application you're running), setup DNS failover.

Thanked by 2dfroe uptime
  • @Clouvider has 100% SLA as well.

Thanked by 2Clouvider uptime
  • Well, everyone here got busy with uptime. I can tolerate 5/10 min of downtime once in 2/3 months. Not regularly.

But another concern to be considered, the abuse report issues.
    We don't send any emails from our server. We've Aweber for marketing emails, GSuite for regular emails.

But some of our affiliate marketers send emails in a spamming way which contains our website links. SPAMCOP is sending an abuse report to our current provider, Baremetal, from Vultr. And Vultr is telling us to find another provider.

We told them that we don't send such emails. Affiliate marketer sends. Having our website links in their emails is beyond our control. But Vultr isn't listening to us.

So looking for a reliable dedicated server provider.

@TimboJones said:

@bacloud said:

100% SLA just means compensation for any downtime. Virmach does this. Auto credited and everything.

100% uptime means compensation for any downtime= LowEnd100%Uptime.

So, Op can tolerate 5/10 min of downtime once in 2/3 months, means he need a real uptime, not a 100% with compensations, it is nothing.

Op needs to look at TIER4 data center services or setup multiple dedicated servers in different data centers with data replication.

• comes to lowendtalk, asks for high availability guarantees, doesn't say a word about budget. loosing millions already.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • chxchx Member
    edited September 2019

Again: you can't do this with a single data center. The Planet in 2008 suffered a transformer explosion and the fire marshall forbid staff to return to the building. I felt "job well done" -- we were EV1Servers customers at the time and migrated off when The Planet bought them and not six months later the freakin' thing exploded leaving customers without service for weeks.

• @bacloud said:

@TimboJones said:

@bacloud said:

So, Op can tolerate 5/10 min of downtime once in 2/3 months, means he need a real uptime, not a 100% with compensations, it is nothing.

Op needs to look at TIER4 data center services or setup multiple dedicated servers in different data centers with data replication.

OP specifically asked for a single server with 100% SLA. He knows more what he wants than you.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited September 2019

@IFightCode said:
    We told them that we don't send such emails. Affiliate marketer sends. Having our website links in their emails is beyond our control. But Vultr isn't listening to us.

seems like you might need to rethink your affiliate program - either start screening your marketers or ... I dunno, that's a tough row to hoe I suppose.

But bottom line is - whether you intended to do so or not - you've been incentivizing spam. And that translates into complaints to your upstream, who would probably prefer to avoid having their IP space blacklisted.

So at this point you can either try to find whatever flavor of "bulletproof" hosting that will tolerate the complaints - and will charge you accordingly for taking the heat for you. Or you can make changes to your affiliate program - and absorb whatever impact that might have on your revenue.

One might say it's a business decision.

(Or, alternatively, one might posit that spammers can go piss up a rope.)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @uptime said: seems like you might need to rethink your affiliate program - either start screening your marketers or ...

Indeed, the OP (@IFightCode) can't have his cake and eat it too.

@TimboJones said:

@bacloud said:

@TimboJones said:

@bacloud said:

OP specifically asked for a single server with 100% SLA. He knows more what he wants than you.

And LowEnd100%uptime is wrong solution to him, he needs dedicated server in TIER4 data center if he can't afford any downtime.

• Going for FO/HA is better than relying on single DC or service. Even AWS/GCP/AZURE can't assure you and enforce their best practices rather.

• bacloud said: And LowEnd100%uptime is wrong solution to him, he needs dedicated server in TIER4 data center if he can't afford any downtime.

I'm currently spending around ~$150 for hosting a single website in a dedicated box, also ready to spend more to have
    1. Same uptime what I'm getting from Vultr
    2. A provider who can tolerate the affiliate level spam I've mentioned :-(

So, I'm really not talking about any low-end solution. And not enterprise-grade, also. Previously, I was using EC2. But the spam complaint, I had to leave that.

Now need a good provider until I get a good way for the affiliate marketers.

• @mrclown said:
    Going for FO/HA is better than relying on single DC or service. Even AWS/GCP/AZURE can't assure you and enforce their best practices rather.

I've currently load balancer setup, one bare metal from vultr, one large droplet from digital ocean. And load balancer is set up in CloudFlare.

For the last 1 year or so, I didn't face a single second downtime.

• One more thing, I've posted here mainly to get the expert advice. There is too few communities where I can get a large number of experts together :smile:

Finding a low-end solution isn't my goal here.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

whats the load on your servers during peak time ?

• @cfgguy said:
    whats the load on your servers during peak time ?

Around 20. cPanel is installed there, and from the WHM panel's load info, I see that to remain 15-20 on the sale hour. But normally, the load doesn't exceed 10.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I happen to know how to build a five nines solution because I did it.

But I don't like spammers.

You play innocent as if you were not responsible because it's not you, no, it's them evil resellers. But I see a spammer because those spammers (re)sell YOUR product and certainly not against your will.

• jsg said: You play innocent as if you were not responsible because it's not you, no, it's them evil resellers. But I see a spammer because those spammers (re)sell YOUR product and certainly not against your will.

We've clear guidelines, the reseller can use an affiliate link on their website and they're not allowed to send any promotional emails with our website link.

When we found some abuse reports, we initially send a warning, if the same happens, then suspend the marketer.

But, to be honest, we cannot stop accepting new/random marketer, because, we can lose a potentially good partner.

• I got several offers through PM. I'll do a bit of researches and choose a provider.
    Thanks a lot, guys, for your offers and suggestion.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2019

Just remember, taking offers via PM is a fine step to get scammed unless you specifically asked for private offers.

Usually only shady and desperate noobs send offers via PMs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2019

@IFightCode use @clouvider, multiple DC's, very redundant, quality network, ddos protection, human level interaction, focus on quality, they can even do you a multi DC redundancy option if required in the future.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I don't want him to use @Cyder. Leave him out of this shit.

• deank said: Just remember, taking offers via PM is a fine step to get scammed unless you specifically asked for private offers.

Thanks, buddy.

• AnthonySmith said: @IFightCode use @clouvider, multiple DC's, very redundant, quality network, DDoS protection, human level interaction, focus on quality, they can even do you a multi DC redundancy option if required in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate your help.